• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

L5S

Grog

This one was sold as a 1975, serial #138XXX. My book list it as anywhere from 1970 to 1975. The pots codes are from the middle of 1973 & my undertanding is that by 1974 the L-5S was equipt with standard humbuckers............

rockabilly69

This one was sold as a 1975, serial #138XXX. My book list it as anywhere from 1970 to 1975. The pots codes are from the middle of 1973 & my undertanding is that by 1974 the L-5S was equipt with standard humbuckers............

looks like 74 to me!

rockabilly69

Yep here's my early '75...

FXHyjzS.jpg

tCp4Oon.jpg

Grog

The old & the new side by side.

v895bAqh.jpg
9wfdivNh.jpg

The first one was refretted, touched up where a hanger removed the finish. The gold was badly wore. The second doesn't have as nice a maple top, but otherwise in new condition for a 45 year old guitar. A little blistering of the gold plating around the Gibson logo on the neck pickup and one knick on the side. Not many with nice plating have survived!

Last edited:

jtees4

Back in 1976 I saw Kansas (I was really there to see Rick Derringer opening)....and Kerry Livgren was playing an L5S, I had no clue what it was, but I remembered it. One day not too long after I was in Manny's and saw one, I actually liked it a lot, didn't even notice the weight (today I could probably not even lift it). Very cool guitar. The same day I saw and played an RD Artist for the first time. I have always thought they were cool guitars ever since. I also played a Les Paul Recording model (I think same day)...that one I did not like at all...even though Les loved them.

Grog

Liking the RD & the L5S, it sounds like you have a thing for solid maple guitars! I started out with a Les Paul Triumph Bass that I paid $300 for & it grew into this...……… The low impedance pickups will never be very popular with many guitarists, but they have their place.

dwLAQvfh.jpg
VG8a4orh.jpg