• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NVGD: Vintage 1959 ES-345 TDSV

treyrab

Aloha folks! :yah

I thought I would share a cool new vintage ES that surfaced. Those who know me understand that I just can't say "No" to any vintage ES, but particularly '59 ES-345s, which I think are very special guitars. I didn't currently have a Sunburst, so found one and added it to the arsenal last week. An amazing under-the-bed guitar with a beautiful maple top. Photo of it alongside a 1959 ES-345 in Cherry. Cheers, and enjoy! - Trey :hank

32250367958_ff44ff11eb_b.jpg

46071656162_25de1b2dff_b.jpg

brandtkronholm

...Those who know me understand that I just can't say "No" to any vintage ES, but particularly '59 ES-345s, which I think are very special guitars.

Indeed, the 1959 ES345 is a very special instrument. There is something of a cult here devoted to the ES345, particularly what's known as the "first rack" variety ES345s. (Note my avatar...)

I didn't currently have a Sunburst, so found one and added it to the arsenal last week. An amazing under-the-bed guitar with a beautiful maple top. Photo of it alongside a 1959 ES-345 in Cherry.
46071656162_25de1b2dff_b.jpg

Wow!
Details, please. Are the PAF bobbins double white, zebra or black? Are the necks fat, thin or otherwise? FONs? Do you have an opinion on the Varitone? (I like it.) Do you play it stereo or use a Y-cable into two channels (think: black/silver face Fender) of one amp? How do you feel about the out-of-phase sound?

The Sunburst case is great!

reddeluxe

Incredibly beautiful; just stunning! Congrats....you, sir, are a lucky man to have not one, but two of these 345s!

El Gringo

So beautiful and such nice figure . Congrats on a most beautiful NGD!

treyrab

Indeed, the 1959 ES345 is a very special instrument. There is something of a cult here devoted to the ES345, particularly what's known as the "first rack" variety ES345s. (Note my avatar...)

Wow!
Details, please. Are the PAF bobbins double white, zebra or black? Are the necks fat, thin or otherwise? FONs? Do you have an opinion on the Varitone? (I like it.) Do you play it stereo or use a Y-cable into two channels (think: black/silver face Fender) of one amp? How do you feel about the out-of-phase sound?

The Sunburst case is great!

I will try to answer all :hank

- The Red has 2x Double Black and the Sunburst has 2x Double White. All 4 are 8.0K ohm or more.
- The Red has a HUGE neck. The Sunbust is more Medium "C".
- I use a Y cable converted to mono (middle position is out of phase) into either a '55 Deluxe or '64 Deluxe Reverb.
- I owned a First Rack at one point. It was fabulous, but the '59 Cherry tops it, and the new Sunburst matches the 'ol gal. The First Rack had a HUGE neck (similar to my current '59 Cherry).
- Rock on!

treyrab

Whoa ! Really nice pair
:salude

Whats the back story on the SB.. looks unplayed

Thank you! Yes -- It is nearly unplayed (looks brand new except for some light weather checking). It came from the original owner in Nevada last month. :hank

brandtkronholm

I will try to answer all :hank

- The Red has 2x Double Black and the Sunburst has 2x Double White. All 4 are 8.0K ohm or more.
- The Red has a HUGE neck. The Sunbust is more Medium "C".
- I use a Y cable converted to mono (middle position is out of phase) into either a '55 Deluxe or '64 Deluxe Reverb.
- I owned a First Rack at one point. It was fabulous, but the '59 Cherry tops it, and the new Sunburst matches the 'ol gal. The First Rack had a HUGE neck (similar to my current '59 Cherry).
- Rock on!

Very nice! :salude