• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Show the love...post your SG's

Elliot Easton

Just an excuse to show another shot of one of my '64 Juniors at an open-air gig last month.

hovw.jpg

1bs0.jpg

I see you have a No.1 strap. Do you know Thomas Welbier? If you do send him my best regards-great guy!

Tonebender

Thanks! I'm surprised there aren't more of these around -- the 3 Firebird pickup idea makes perfect sense to me. It gets a nice quacky sound when the switch is in the middle position and both the middle and bridge pickups are engaged together. From what I understand, the Custom Shop built just two of these back in 2004, then sold them off at the Roadworn auction. I don't know if the other one is the same color or not.

It does make sense. Certainly for a 3 pickup guitar as small as an SG custom. It feels more in proportion. What I would add though is that switch on Kirk's new SIG SG that can blend the middle pickup in by turning the switch knob. Are these the typical ceramic FB pups from Gibson or are they something different?

bizzwriter

You could probably mag swap or drop in the Duncan versions. I hear his are really nice.

I wonder if just a magnet swap would get me closer -- I don't want to pull out the original pickups. That would be great.

PHILBERT

Fried okra,

What year SG is that one in the lower right with Grover tuners?

Color is perfect. Looks great! :wow

tooold

Just an excuse to show another shot of one of my '64 Juniors at an open-air gig last month.

hovw.jpg

1bs0.jpg

You look just like Jackson Pablo Rauschenberg! And, typically, hiding behind the power-chord playing bassist...

Tonebender

I wonder if just a magnet swap would get me closer -- I don't want to pull out the original pickups. That would be great.

It very well might. If you're a Duncan forum member they'll bend over backwards to answer any and all pickup questions there about any make, model and manufacturer. You learn a ton too just lurking. Don Butler on here might be of some help as well.