• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

Monroe

1976 Custom, bought it new.

GoldCovers.jpg

Fullshot.jpg

zoltan

Alright, I like the custom. I know the original custom was made in 1954. Then they continued making it each and every year tol this day ? What about the re-issues ? Which era / models are considered good to find ?

Whats wrong with Norlins ? are they less valued guitars ?

Last edited:

zoltan

Ok I just made a thread asking this. I hope you guys can educate me on this topic.

:ghost:

mbowen

Hi guys my Norlin is a 73 i think see thru cherry Deluxe.I owned a bunch of 70's Gibsons over the years but this is the only one i have now.Do have a 68 custom stashed still.Thanks Mike B.

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

:bat:punk:bat

bird72

I really like a lot of the Norlin's. I will say some are truly beautiful, some look workmanlike functional, and a few are kinda quirky. Some of the 3 piece tops can look really good. Since I was a 73 HS grad era I like the Norlins because that is what all my friends had! My buddy had a black custom in 72 and I always thought that was the most beautiful guitar in the world (hey I was 16 and it was!)................. I also think at some point in the future they will not as readily be called Norlin's and will be just referred to as 70's Gibsons, without the somewhat "oh but it's a Norlin" sort of disclaimer. Heck, I even like the big headstock, it reminds me of early 70's in your face rock.

dcooper

73,I don't think there is an an original part on it. played and sounded great, real heavy.

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

K

Kim R

Sorry for the interruption; got a question for you Norlin era experts:

Generally, where would you put this guitar on the time line (what year?):

Deluxe Goldtop, SN in the 509xxx range, very small volute, larger headstock, "made in USA" stamp, mini hums, goof hiders, pancake bod

My guess is 1970, but I don't have access to the history that has been so kindly supplied here in the past.

Thanks,

Kim

j45

A really good sounding 1969 Norlin Custom
90068LPCustom2.jpg

1976 Explorer LE converted to long magnet PAF's
skinner4-1.jpg

1976 Explorer
ex3.jpg

1969 Goldtop
69gt2.jpg

1974 Flying V
Vmarsh3.jpg

1976 Thunderbird
18tb.jpg

1976 Explorer LE
76ex4.jpg

and another good sounding '69 Goldtop on the right
5468Goldies1.jpg

Progrocker111

Deluxe Goldtop, SN in the 509xxx range, very small volute, larger headstock, "made in USA" stamp, mini hums, goof hiders, pancake bod

My guess is 1970, but I don't have access to the history that has been so kindly supplied here in the past.

Thanks,

Kim

Could be 74, there were still some with goof hiders in that year, although most with them were from 69-71. See you pot codes 137xxyy, xx is year and yy the week.

Triplet

I'm flabbergaster at the growing Norlin love on this forum. When I joined the LPF in '06 they were the scourge of the planet. I guess this is a Norlin "coming out" of sorts.:peace2

I have a '73 Deluxe, a '77 Custom, and a '78 ES-175. All fine instruments.
DSC00002.jpg

DSC00057b.jpg

60031881_tp.jpg

K

Kim R

Could be 74, there were still some with goof hiders in that year, although most with them were from 69-71. See you pot codes 137xxyy, xx is year and yy the week.

Thanks, Prog. The guitar was definitely '71 or prior, but I don't have it in hand to check the details (trying to answer a general inquiry for another).

Thin_Lizzy

Thanks,

Kim

Hi Kim,

Just a wild guess while I'm at work :) and don't have any info or statistics at hand...
My guess is '71 or '72. Is the Gibson-logo embossed on the pickup covers? I have a '72 which has that.
Serial numbers are pretty useless from 70-75. Best try is to have a look at the potcodes.

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
My first and last LP, a late '69 deluxe that's on it's 4th set of frets and 2nd top refin. I bought this new and tried for years and years to replace it because back then everyone knew that these guitars were inferior to the old ones. It has survived a maelstrom of competition, old and new, and it's the only one I own now and that's not likely to change.

lpback5.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone know the true concept or factory thinking behind the pankcake body?
Seems like a few extra steps involved to do it.

Glad to see these early Norlins have their day in court-
some great overlooked guitars.