• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Manufacturing/finish issue on brand new guitar - What should I do?

J T

Call Gibson Customer Service about your question. You are the original owner, correct? Tell us what they tell you.

Big Al

By the way. I understand that a finish detail like this is not an issue to many, that it adds mojo for others, that some of you will damage the finish the first time you play the guitar, etc., etc. That’s all good. Just not necessarily my thing.

I appreciate people that replied stating their opinion, suggestions, encouraging me to ignore the detail, etc. But personally, I consider this an issue (a very small one for sure). QC/QA should’ve detected this before the instrument left the shop. Does the guitar sound good? Yes, it does. Does the finish detail affect playability? No, it doesn’t. Did I pay a lot of money for the guitar and deserve a flawless fonish? I think I do.

It is not a flaw. It is not damage. It is not an issue if you expect 50's build and Holly headstock veneer. These are well documented specs that are obsessed over and a result of finishing techniques carried over from the 50's.

Lighten up Francis and enjoy your guitar.

P.Walker

By the way. I understand that a finish detail like this is not an issue to many, that it adds mojo for others, that some of you will damage the finish the first time you play the guitar, etc., etc. That’s all good. Just not necessarily my thing.

I appreciate people that replied stating their opinion, suggestions, encouraging me to ignore the detail, etc. But personally, I consider this an issue (a very small one for sure). QC/QA should’ve detected this before the instrument left the shop. Does the guitar sound good? Yes, it does. Does the finish detail affect playability? No, it doesn’t. Did I pay a lot of money for the guitar and deserve a flawless fonish? I think I do.

Realistically the money you spend is not for a flawless finish but for historic features and workmanship, however it was like in the 50s and how closely we can make it like such.

When you get a brand new historic, sometimes you will see swirls in the finish, sometimes from polishing on the frets, chattermarks on fret nibs. You have to draw the line somewhere. I bet if I went over your guitar with a magnifying glass I'd see worse stuff than that, which I can't even see. What about the finish imprints by the TRC cover under the holly veneer? Or imprints made by the pickup rings on the finish? What about the binding ridges that aren't totally flush?

Or perhaps more importantly,

Did you check that your guitar neck can be adjusted properly with the truss rod and there is no uneven relief on both sides? Or that the rod isn't sticking way past the nut to adjust for an overly concave neck? How about the nut height and evenness of frets? Those are the kinds of more pertinent things you should pay attention to when you spend your hard earned money. Check for ABR-1 bridge lean?

It's a guitar not a computer. This hardly qualifies as *poor* workmanship, as evidenced by other examples here and even some of mine.

Also there are new posts here just fine, whether there is a trend, who's to say.

lpthomas

I‘m sure QA did see it. It shouldn‘t be anything they take a guitar out for.

I think you got a flawless finish. Look at this glossy headstock!

To call is a flaw, to me, is like calling a sunburst flawes because it‘s a few millimeters to wide at the edge or something. I definitely see where you are coming from, but from my perspective, this is flawless. Someone already sad it best: Looking at the guitar from all sides and up close, there are a lot of things which someone might consider flawed. It is not an iPhone—and even they always look better built in the 3D renderings on Apple‘s website.

Now I don‘t know what the originals are like in this respect. When noticed something similar on my 2017 taking it out of the case for the first time, I just saw it as part of the guitar. And I like my things to be nice and buy new all the time.

I‘d be interested to hear what Gibson has to say on this and hope they can convince you that this is no mistake.

While we‘re at it: What silly decision it was by Gibson to show the wood through a sunburst finish in the 50s. They ca build the nicest LP ever made with Braz board and all and still cannot make it right for so many just because of wood grain or burst color, cf. the CME model with BRW. Should‘ve made gold and black guitars only:spabout

renderit

SEVERAL MEMBERS HERE (Z and i) NEED TO STOP! The OP didn't KNOW that it was NOT a flaw! Or at least not a "common flaw" (because technically it is)!

Get off your damn high horses!

Shit, if everybody knew everything about these guitars there would be no reason for the forum! DAMN! I am disappointed in you...

Fan, I would overlook it. I used to get all pissed about the sides of the headstock being orange-peeled. Then I saw a number of vintage ones which were as well. You paid big coin for this guitar. It has accurate historic flaws. You like it or not. That is your decision. If you want flawless there are options like Collings out there which sound great as well. Eventually the funkiness of the sound and construction will bring you back. If you want perfection in build quality the Big G ain't where it's at. If you want it to bug you less either play the crap out of it until you don't care or trade it on maybe a reliced one where it adds to the funk. But either way, I respect your feelings, I have had them myself before. If it plays and sounds great I will talk to you about it.

P.S. Please show more pictures of the beast. I would like to see it.

ff1337

SEVERAL MEMBERS HERE (Z and i) NEED TO STOP! The OP didn't KNOW that it was NOT a flaw! Or at least not a "common flaw" (because technically it is)!

Get off your damn high horses!

Shit, if everybody knew everything about these guitars there would be no reason for the forum! DAMN! I am disappointed in you...

Fan, I would overlook it. I used to get all pissed about the sides of the headstock being orange-peeled. Then I saw a number of vintage ones which were as well. You paid big coin for this guitar. It has accurate historic flaws. You like it or not. That is your decision. If you want flawless there are options like Collings out there which sound great as well. Eventually the funkiness of the sound and construction will bring you back. If you want perfection in build quality the Big G ain't where it's at. If you want it to bug you less either play the crap out of it until you don't care or trade it on maybe a reliced one where it adds to the funk. But either way, I respect your feelings, I have had them myself before. If it plays and sounds great I will talk to you about it.

Wow, someone actually pissed off Ren, that’s not cool. For him to say something it must have struck a nerve.

Fan of LP

Thank you, sir. Appreciate it. And thanks again to everyone that has contributed with opinions on the matter. I’m still very new to this world. Got my first Historic in 2016, so I still have a lot to learn. But man, I love these guitars! I’m thankful for the opportunity to be on this forum, and for learning from y’all, especially from those of you with more experience.

I’ve made my peace with the historic feature on the headstock (see what I did there? :p). The guitar looks and feels phenomenally, and, more importantly, it sounds so damn good. I spent more time with her last night and today, and I think we’re bonding pretty quickly. I look forward to spending more and more time with her this week!

I will do a proper NGD post as soon as I have some time to take pics, etc.

For the record, Gibson could’ve taken her in, but the dealer’s Gibson rep adviced against it, since the detail on the headstock is so minimal that there’s more risk in shipping the instrument back and forth, etc.. The dealer was also willing to exchange the guitar, or I could’ve returned it. So, I received great service from the dealer, and Gibson (even though we didn’t really open a case with them). But I’m keeping her!

Sparta

I think about that stuff a fair amount myself - how this aspect or that needs to be right on the guitar.

One way to think about other stuff is to work on playing all triads in all inversions in all keys in all positions on all string sets.

That gives me a LOT to think about.

Last edited:

67SLP

It is not a flaw. It is not damage. It is not an issue if you expect 50's build and Holly headstock veneer. These are well documented specs that are obsessed over and a result of finishing techniques carried over from the 50's.

Lighten up Francis and enjoy your guitar.

Basically this. How does it sound? If it rocks, play it. It’s a guitar, not the Mona Lisa. Enjoy it.

HNS

I wouldn’t lose sleep on it. I had a similar issue with a previous LP that had like a bad clasp mark on the logo/veneer area that wasn’t well covered by the paint and finish. I got over it, annoying as it is.

1jamman

I can't remember the count of how many times, People have come up to me (years in the past) and said ,,,, you play good , but it would sound better if that darn flaw on the HS was fixed .....

Really it's OK , imo , it's just nit-picking run a muck . which is ok .. it's there stuff which they paid for ...

Only now I have to go and look at all my Gibson's and check to see if someone wants a discount of the 1's I'm trying to sell .

Thank God I'm keeping some and don't have to deal with that problem ...:hee

CuseFan559

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but since the topic is about manufacturing flaws can any of you tell me if this maple top should have made it on a R9. I tried looking myself online but I couldn't find examples of flawed tops just ones with flecks. It looks like a knot or streak going across the middle of the top. Most tops I've seen are more symmetrical looking. I'm not complaining about it but just trying to learn what a good top should look like. I would like to make a more educated purchase in the future. Thanks

2eygr38.jpg

TM1

Here's my 2007 R-4. Historic Makeovers did a full RDS package on it:

I asked a friend of mine who was with Gibson Artist Relations for 12 years and his Dad basically started the acoustic division in Bozeman why they covered this top in Gold. He said it was due to the weirdness of the bass side of the top.. Go figure..

badmisfortune

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but since the topic is about manufacturing flaws can any of you tell me if this maple top should have made it on a R9. I tried looking myself online but I couldn't find examples of flawed tops just ones with flecks. It looks like a knot or streak going across the middle of the top. Most tops I've seen are more symmetrical looking. I'm not complaining about it but just trying to learn what a good top should look like. I would like to make a more educated purchase in the future. Thanks

2eygr38.jpg

Hard to believe that you're fussing about the top yet you didn't even mention the streaked fretboard.

Now I personally love a board like that, but most people don't.

I wouldn't worry a bit about either.

zacknorton

That blister top is crazy cool.

I like streaks in rosewood too...but that one looks kinda dry and light in that pic?

MeHereNow

2eygr38.jpg

I think that's a beauty!!
Unique and instantly reconisable.

I would polish of that sharpie'd black arrow though.. :hee

CuseFan559

Here's my 2007 R-4. Historic Makeovers did a full RDS package on it:

I asked a friend of mine who was with Gibson Artist Relations for 12 years and his Dad basically started the acoustic division in Bozeman why they covered this top in Gold. He said it was due to the weirdness of the bass side of the top.. Go figure..

Oh, maybe my top was put in the wrong pile. Maybe should have been a goldtop. Sometimes mistakes happen.

CuseFan559

Hard to believe that you're fussing about the top yet you didn't even mention the streaked fretboard.

Now I personally love a board like that, but most people don't.

I wouldn't worry a bit about either.

I was afraid I'd be accused of nitpicking if I did bring up the fretboard. Lol