• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

JTele

Hey Al! I don't spend much time on the forum, but I will say that many of your posts are what inspired me to join the forum in the first place when I lost my job a while back due to the economy. I just turned 59 myself, and like yourself, I wonder how the years have gone by so quickly. Perhaps most importantly, though, is that we've all been joined together here for our love of music (Les Pauls, too), but the love of music is indeed a universal gift that can truly be shared by each and every one of us worldwide. I've been in parts of the world where I've struggled terribly in communicating with others due to the various language barriers, but I still marvel in the fact that we can sit down together at the end of the day while playing some music that results in nothing but smiles and laughter. Some of us may disagree with one another from time to time, but there's just something magical and spiritual about playing music that sets our hearts free from much of the turmoil in the world. It's truly a wonderful feeling!

Speaking of the years going by quickly, I got my first Les Paul in 1970 when I was only 16, and I've been a Les Paul fanatic of sorts ever since.

1970-LP.jpg

I should've kept some of those old Les Pauls I've owned over the years, but here's what I have today. They're not as pretty as many we see here, but they're players, and that's all that really matters to me:

LPfamily2_zpse90ecb17.jpg

Wishing you the best! Hang in there, my friend!

jrr

Godspeed big Al....just some thoughts here.Not an expert and i could be wrong,but ideas are good.Cannabis has some potent pain relief qualities that does clearly works miracles for pain relief for a lot of people.Not as toxic as the opiates on the organs.Doesn't have to be smoked,can be cooked,might even be more effective cooked(longer acting).Can be prescribed,depending on your locality.Just to get over the rough spots.hope this helps.jr.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
A bunch of cool things from a forum bro who wanted to lift my spirits. A man I never met and don't know sent some goodies to cheer me up and on. I was humbled. Some caps I like to get my kinda tone, some very cool tubes. Old octal preamp tubes I need for my ancient Stromberg and Carlson amps, as well as others I needed. What looks to be a hawk feather, how did he know I'm an outdoorsman and naturalist???

By the the description of the "goodies", I'm pretty sure I know exactly who that was... And if I'm right, I can tell you that he is an exceptional person...

Actually, even if I'm wrong, whomever it was is pretty damn special...

:salude :salude :salude

Cliff Gress

Acts of kindness elevate us all. Happy Birthday Al. Hope your pain diminishes soon.

shred

:bday:

Happy birthday Big Al. Cool you got some loot. I'm really sorry to hear the arm isn't responding very well... At least your witticisms seem unaffected.

Big Al

Hey Al! I don't spend much time on the forum, but I will say that many of your posts are what inspired me to join the forum in the first place when I lost my job a while back due to the economy. I just turned 59 myself, and like yourself, I wonder how the years have gone by so quickly. Perhaps most importantly, though, is that we've all been joined together here for our love of music (Les Pauls, too), but the love of music is indeed a universal gift that can truly be shared by each and every one of us worldwide. I've been in parts of the world where I've struggled terribly in communicating with others due to the various language barriers, but I still marvel in the fact that we can sit down together at the end of the day while playing some music that results in nothing but smiles and laughter. Some of us may disagree with one another from time to time, but there's just something magical and spiritual about playing music that sets our hearts free from much of the turmoil in the world. It's truly a wonderful feeling!

Speaking of the years going by quickly, I got my first Les Paul in 1970 when I was only 16, and I've been a Les Paul fanatic of sorts ever since.

1970-LP.jpg

I should've kept some of those old Les Pauls I've owned over the years, but here's what I have today. They're not as pretty as many we see here, but they're players, and that's all that really matters to me:

LPfamily2_zpse90ecb17.jpg

Wishing you the best! Hang in there, my friend!

Yes EXACTLY BROTHER!!!!
Music is the thing. The binding force and communal sonic dance. As cool as it is to receive gifts, and it is cool, it was the CD of Music that made the deeper impact, on me.

I love that photo of the younger you!!! Great collection. I think our generation was perfectly positioned to experience the Rock thang. I believe we posses a bigger more expansive outlook, because we lived through so much of it, at the right time. :salude

Big Al

Godspeed big Al....just some thoughts here.Not an expert and i could be wrong,but ideas are good.Cannabis has some potent pain relief qualities that does clearly works miracles for pain relief for a lot of people.Not as toxic as the opiates on the organs.Doesn't have to be smoked,can be cooked,might even be more effective cooked(longer acting).Can be prescribed,depending on your locality.Just to get over the rough spots.hope this helps.jr.

Yes it does. It has helped me greatly as an attitude adjuster and for pain relief. Un fortunately it is ill eagle here so I take a chance using it. The opiates and other chemical pain relievers are unpleasant for me and I try not to take them unless I'm in agony. I go for a walk and marvel at the beauty of where I live and the natural world and this helps me a lot more. Puffin on a brain dart while doing so, even better!

Big Al

By the the description of the "goodies", I'm pretty sure I know exactly who that was... And if I'm right, I can tell you that he is an exceptional person...

Actually, even if I'm wrong, whomever it was is pretty damn special...

:salude :salude :salude

I would agree.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Happy Belated Birthday, Big Al! Didn't know that I was your elder by 9 months! Prayers flowing so that the pain subsides soon. Peace. :jim

gibson-r8

Well hell Al. Sorry it isn't going better on such a day. I wish I had magic words and deeds but I'm a dry hole for that. Lots of us here admire and respect you for what you are, not what you have. And isn't it just like 'the man' to make illegal a natural herb that gives you some level of comfort and relief. The bastar#s.

Some nice folks here, we all wish we could help you through this and if a sympathetic ear helps out, well , you got our number.

Mitchell

Glad you had a great birthday Al... :salude

I hope ya all don't mind,, but I'm a critter lover and I wood like to share/post a little snapper story that happened to me a few years back for "Big Al".

It was a year of flooding and I was traveling to town on an old county road in the car and I seen this good sized snapper in the road, it looked hurt and wasn't moving, so I parked and put my flashers on and I noticed I was next to a large flood pond/sunken area 200 yards by 100yards that is full when it rains a lot and dry when it doesn't, so I imagine that this snapper was trying to get to it or to the field across the road to lay eggs when some azzwipe hit it on the road. When I approached, its eyes were wet like it had been crying or something from the stress of being run over? I approached carefully and all the sudden its head shot out about eight inches two or three times in the blink of an eye and all I heard was this loud "SNAP!" sound from its mouth, so I backed waay the fugg off, lol. This snapper was open for business!
Thinking, I gotta help get this critter back in the water or some kids are gonna come along, hit it again and probally torture it to death, etc.
First, I took out my camera and took quick some pics, then I figured that this snapper was too cagey to handle right side up and its claws were ready for swiping at me too.
So I quick got around behind it and grabbed its tail and flipped it over so I could handle it. Along with some blood trickling out around the sides, I was "shocked" when I seen what was wrote on its underside!
So I picked it up carefully by the tail (heavy) and placed it in the trunk and drove down near the water. Getting it out of the trunk was more difficult, as it was really pissed off now! Finally, I got its tail again and carried quickly as close as I could get without fallin in the the water/mud and swung it out into the pond. It stayed under and I assumed that it was in a much better/safer place now. I did a Google on snappers and the best way to handle them and the experts said that "not" to pick them up by their tails, as their tails are connected to their inner spine and due to their weight one can hurt/damage their spines that way. Well, I felt a little bad about not knowing that, but figured that it didn't mind too much since I got it back in the water, etc. Now days, the pond is dry and I haven't seen hide nor hair of the snapper since then, but I wont forget it..

Hava great weekend everybody!

Black58

A fellow Gemini (I'm June 21st)! :headbange Happy Birthday, Al! :salude

Big Al

No more radiation. All done for now. Residual effects for 6 weeks.
Oncologist seemed OK with it so far, but pretty much guaranteed the Cancer would be back. No cure but may be able to treat. Wish the pain in my arm and shoulder would go away already ! Still glad to be alive. I just would like to play again. Long and slow. Like great BBQ my healing will be long and slow.