• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

mbowen

Good luck with the ongoing recovery,it sounds like it is going well.Mike B.--My favorite of all the Les Paul's i owned-9-1898-The Cathedral Burst.

mbowen

Two more guitars for good measure Al.A 1959-TV JR and God help me a 1964 Strat with all the tags i just got.Mike B.

Big Al

Two more guitars for good measure Al.A 1959-TV JR and God help me a 1964 Strat with all the tags i just got.Mike B.

mbowen, those are killer! My kinda set. What is your preferred flavor of ampage? You know I have owned many Strats of all colors, but it is the classic burst I still favor. The pics help, I had a very bad night. Woke up screaming in terrible pain. I thought my bone had shattered. Still in pain and return to hospitol tomorrow morning for X rays to see what is going on. I can't seem to catch a break with this thing. Play some smokey licks for me.

BarryG

mbowen, those are killer! My kinda set. What is your preferred flavor of ampage? You know I have owned many Strats of all colors, but it is the classic burst I still favor. The pics help, I had a very bad night. Woke up screaming in terrible pain. I thought my bone had shattered. Still in pain and return to hospitol tomorrow morning for X rays to see what is going on. I can't seem to catch a break with this thing. Play some smokey licks for me.

Good luck!

mbowen

Sorry to hear you are in pain.Hope they can straiten things out for you Big Al.As far as amps i am using a Carr slant V-6,a blackface Super or Deluxe or a small 18W handwired Marshall.Mike B.
Job at the Hard Rock opening up for Pat Travers using the Carr Slant V-6-Like a double deluxe with 2-12's

mbowen

To make you feel a little better i hope you liked the 64 Strat and 59 LP TV so a few more shots for Big Al.Get better soon and i hope the doctors can help with your pain,Mike B.

Big Al

Ahhh, I feel better already. Doc's found no bone damage, and the new truss rods and screws are OK. Most likey some sft tissue damage, and the nerve that is spiraled around my bone is letting me know it ain't happy. Ican deal with it, but not playing is it's own mental hell. If you see Pat ask him about our old pal Jim Branzell. Jim is a fine luthier and does the best refrets, ever!

shred

Sorry to hear you are in pain.Hope they can straiten things out for you Big Al.As far as amps i am using a Carr slant V-6,a blackface Super or Deluxe or a small 18W handwired Marshall.Mike B.
Job at the Hard Rock opening up for Pat Travers using the Carr Slant V-6-Like a double deluxe with 2-12's

Looking good Mike :dude:

Cool you got to open for Pat Travers. No doubt you were playing the coolest guitar at that gig.

I too have a weird Pat Travers story. Many years ago I ran into Paul Gilbert when Mr. Big was in town opening for Rush. We ended up going to see Pat Travers at this now defunct club in the middle of nowhere... Anyway, we were the only people in front of the stage headbanging, as everyone else was older and more sedate... I was surprised what a huge Pat Travers fan Paul was --sang along to everything. So we go backstage and Pat's guitar player is pretty freaked out... I mean, he just played a set in a podunk club in front of one of rock's most badass guitar players at that time. He says, "Pat, this is Paul Gilbert, he's that guy who did that Jeff Beck cover I told you about..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8UJwYAIb0I

Pat just goes, "Meh, I thought that was Jeff Beck on a good day." Priceless... Pat was pretty surly :biggrin:

Then Pat asked Paul where he was playing, and Paul says, "I'm opening for Rush tomorrow." whereupon Pat Travers' unimpressed response was, "Good gig." :wah

And there was this cougar running around backstage the whole time, all excited and she hands Paul her camera, so Paul ends up taking a picture of me, her and Pat Travers... Hilarious... It's out there somewhere... Good times... :dude:

Last edited:

Jim W

Hey Al,
here's a thought:
Have someone re-string one 'o yer fiddles lefty,
bump the amp volume a coupla notches,
and jus' "hammer-on" ever'thing/invent somethin' new/differnt! :ganz .. :jim

Then you need to come here to play..... :)

lphangaroundsmall.jpg

shred

Hey, Big Al... I am genuinely sorry how much BS you're going through. I know I'd go crazy not being able to play --especially if I couldn't play to my expectations...

Here's hoping you'll get a chance to play a few more badass guitar licks on your Pauls soon. Rock on :salude

Big Al

Hey, Big Al... I am genuinely sorry how much BS you're going through. I know I'd go crazy not being able to play --especially if I couldn't play to my expectations...

Here's hoping you'll get a chance to play a few more badass guitar licks on your Pauls soon. Rock on :salude

I figure I will never be able to play at my previous level again. OK, it is what it is, but I hope to be able to play at some level. I am pretty realistic about my abilities and I am a good enough musician that I understand the magic and power of musicality. I can play with and within my limits and though maybe not as ferocious can certainly express myself in a honest and musical way. But not being able to play in any capacity right now is killing my soul.

shred

Cool... Hopefully you'll be playing some guitar soon

Triplet

You could plop a 2 or 3 octave keyboard on your lap. It ain't a geetar but it makes noise... Maybe you're inner Rick Wakeman will emerge!

mbowen

Hope you feel a little better Big Al,Mike B.
1964 Strat with tags--and 1959-LP--TV

goldtop0

Hope you feel a little better Big Al,Mike B.
1964 Strat with tags--and 1959-LP--TV

Lordy lord Mike that strat looks like it's new out of the box:wow

Played a '63 refin many many years ago that had a tone and neck to die for.........not sharp raspy or shrill nasty at all:2cool

Big Al

OMG those are just beautiful. So so nice. I'd love to wind those puppies up on a blackface Super Reverb. Yeeouch!!!