• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - 1954 LP standard

Phatfrank

I’ve spent the last 6 months or so looking for a goldtop, and out of the blue I came across a fantastic ‘54 a few minutes away from home. There are very few old LPs where I live, so finding one in my back yard was a big surprise. It ticked all my boxes; wraptail, original, and a good player. Admittedly I prefer a lot of wear and greening on Goldtops, but it was just too good an opportunity to pass. got her home yesterday and am absolutely in love. I had my luthier check everything before buying - the only issues are some holes on the back of the headstock from some other tuners (the originals are back on) and a replacement nut. He’ll do some setup work and fit a new nut (or the original, it was in the case), but she plays wonderfully as she is.

the seller was a very nice guy with some wonderful stuff - I walked away with this one, a fantastic 1963 LPB Jazzmaster and a minty mint 1958 Tweed Deluxe - but that’s another story.

anyway - meet «Nugget», my new pride & joy. Will take some more pictures later, but am busy playing at the moment:)

Last edited:

Phatfrank

Thanks, guys. Really enjoying this one:).

I forgot to ask; did Gibson fit fretend nibs to all LPs in this era? I ask because the seller purchased the guitar in Paris some years back as a "100% original" guitar, but my luthier says it has had a refret. I would prefer refretting the guitar, but if these are in fact original frets I might change my mind (the guitar does not need a refret, just personal preference).

sws1

Thanks, guys. Really enjoying this one:).

I forgot to ask; did Gibson fit fretend nibs to all LPs in this era? I ask because the seller purchased the guitar in Paris some years back as a "100% original" guitar, but my luthier says it has had a refret. I would prefer refretting the guitar, but if these are in fact original frets I might change my mind (the guitar does not need a refret, just personal preference).

From that first pic, I would say it was regretted.

50s nibs were much smaller than modern nibs.

akstrat61

Very cool score! Congrats!:jim:salude:jim

Now how about posting that Deluxe in the amp section!:dude:

Phatfrank

Very cool score! Congrats!:jim:salude:jim

Now how about posting that Deluxe in the amp section!:dude:

Will do, I'm handing it over to my amp-man tomorrow (fitting a Mercury M trafo and having it checked over) but will try to get some better pics first. It sounds amazing.

corpse

Will do, I'm handing it over to my amp-man tomorrow (fitting a Mercury M trafo and having it checked over) but will try to get some better pics first. It sounds amazing.

Replacing a transformer on an amp that sounds great?

Phatfrank

Replacing a transformer on an amp that sounds great?

It's a non-grounded two-pronged cord - I've had some bad experiences with this before. The Merc M's are great, and nothing is irreversible. I use my amps and prefer to stay alive, and my amp-guy is really sympathetic to maintaining originality.

MapleFlame

It's a non-grounded two-pronged cord - I've had some bad experiences with this before. The Merc M's are great, and nothing is irreversible. I use my amps and prefer to stay alive, and my amp-guy is really sympathetic to maintaining originality.

All you have to do is put a three prong cord in. I always keep my vintage tweeds with their original trannies. Unless they are blown, leave them alone.

Phatfrank

All you have to do is put a three prong cord in. I always keep my vintage tweeds with their original trannies. Unless they are blown, leave them alone.

That's the other option, will hear what he says. We have 230V here so I guess that's also a consideration. Thanks for the tip:)

goldtop0

Congrats..........the whole shabang in one go........really good:2cool

Phatfrank

Took some more pictures this morning, the frets are quite clearly visible on some of them so if anyone has ideas regarding their originality please speak up:).

Loooove this thing.

sws1

Took some more pictures this morning, the frets are quite clearly visible on some of them so if anyone has ideas regarding their originality please speak up:).

Very clearly refretted here (Not regretted.) Frets look too tall to be original and they are on top of the binding.

fakejake

Perfection!! Just the right ammount af wear - used, but well taken care of!
How does the back and back of the neck look like?
:dude:

Phatfrank

Very clearly refretted here (Not regretted.) Frets look too tall to be original and they are on top of the binding.

Thanks, pretty much exactly what my luthier thought.

Will take some pics of the back next week:)