• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eric's Bluesbreaker Marshall Combo: new pictures.

mistersnappy

Just found these two pics of the Marshall combo he used in the Bluesbreakers. Yeah, that's Eric behind Hughie Flint's kit! :wow The only *color* picture I've ever seen of that group while Eric was in it. :dude:

dc68846f30a1405efa5b1e7646606f5c_zpsvhqhfefn.jpg

febedf3326c2710212facc651ba1d3bf_zpsrs9slwct.jpg

TM1

The top colour's a bit darker than I would have thought.. Cool! I guess Gibson didn't really get close on the reissues.. Love the amp! Someone, somewhere has a really special amp and probably doesn't even realize it..
Let's see if we can locate the amp!!

Etosser

Is it me, or does it look like it might be missing the logo in the first pic?

Edit: on second thought, looking at the studio photos maybe the logo was small enough to be hidden behind his leg, even if EC was a smaller guy.

F-Hole

Yeah, and there's a very small chance to my mind that a Trem JTM45 chassis would fit into that amp. It's classic 1X12 18 watt shape....other than the top section being too narrow for the "standards spec".

Last edited:

shakti

Thanks for posting these! What say the experts about the dimensions of the amp based on the first photo? It's a reasonably straight on photo. Do the ratios between width and height as well as the height of the upper panel tell you anything? Is it really a one-off made to fit in Clapton's car, as has been said (and which I kind of sort of believe)?

shakti

You posted while I was typing, John. It looks too big for a 1x12 18W to my eyes. But you are the expert on that particular issue, no doubt.

F-Hole

Well, the relative dimensions look like an 18 shape, but it's not like any other 18 front panel I've seen. The cab doesn't look wide enough, relative to height, to have 8 knobs. If there's a JTM45 in there I really doubt it's a Trem chassis.

I'm not sure it's the same amps in both photos.

Again, who the hell knows.........:salude

goldtop0

Edit: on second thought, looking at the studio photos maybe the logo was small enough to be hidden behind his leg, even if EC was a smaller guy.

Yep that 6" logo is easily hidden with your leg in front.
And it looks like Beano had a good bit of colour around it:2cool

Thanks mistersnappy for posting.

kerryboy

Is it really a one-off made to fit in Clapton's car, as has been said (and which I kind of sort of believe)?

If it was made for him to fit his car, I'm sure they could have made something more compact than that one as it looks like a big beast to me given the proportions in the photo. That looks like a 2 x 12 to me but I'm no expert on these things.

F-Hole

It's so hard to tell, but you can get some cues from the amps stacked to the left, which are made by Burns.

Stow

Amazing pictures! Pure history.. love it

Thanks for posting

ourmaninthenorth

Contributing absolutely nothing new to the thread; I don't think they're the same amp either.

Using the bass drum as a size reference, it's not the biggest amp in the world.

The Real MC

Somewhere on YT is a british blues documentary with film footage of Clapton with the BB amp. It revealed that the amp did indeed have a JTM45 Tremolo chassis - clearly showed eight knobs.

shakti

Somewhere on YT is a british blues documentary with film footage of Clapton with the BB amp. It revealed that the amp did indeed have a JTM45 Tremolo chassis - clearly showed eight knobs.

Now that's something I'd love to see! Anyone have a link?

Curious why you guys think it's not the same amp in both photos - while there's not much to clearly say it is, nothing about the second photos looks off to me...looks like the same dimensions to my eyes.

Also, just judging by the size of the cab I don't think it's hard to imagine a JTM45 in there. Trem chassis I agree about - that would be a stretch but maybe not impossible. But regular 6 knob chassis would work, I think. If we consider that Clapton had owned a JTM45 previously, which was a 6 knob version, it wouldn't be unthinkable that he asked for the same that he had used, only in a combo package made reasonably compact to fit in his car. The original style I combo is a rather big beast and not very practical as far as combos go.

ourmaninthenorth

I think the top panel in the black and white photo is deeper than the colour one.

But my eyes have been known to play tricks on me...frequently..:biggrin: