• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beck's amps through the years

Xpensive Wino

Page%20and%20Beck%20with%20Tone%20Bender_Provins%20Rock%20Festival,%20June%2027th%201966.jpg

Yardbirds_Wolu_City1966.jpg

398658_457589604290710_1093506381_n_zps9e4b3600.jpg

tumblr_madseed0X41qclfsko1_1280.jpg

Reactions: TM1

Hillbilly JT

I like that champ setup. The iridium show with Imelda May was cool. Is he using the 4 x 12 cabs, too?

spidey

For me it's the LP and Marshall rigs. Wow! Would have loved to be in the audience.

RocknRollShakeUp

Gents, what are the tweed amps next to the pro Jr's in the LP tribute show? I'm assuming that the slightly larger looking tweed amps give him the more clean sounds and the pro Jr the overdriven sounds, would you agree?

And yeah in that crossroads 2010 show I agree that it seems like the marshall isn't plugged in, and I think that its light doesn't seem on. I'm still blown away that he's using a "lowly" pro jr. I wonder if it has been "upgraded" in any way.

I love Jeff Becks unique approach from technique all the way to his equipment choices. But yeah I'm boring in that I only truly love his yardbirds stuff. His later fusion stuff is appreciated intellectually and not viscerally I woukd have to say, and yet viscerally I still hold him dear as one of my favorite guitar players overall. I loved that LP tribute show w imelda mays band though!

Here are things from the more modern Marshall centric approach :)

Jeff Beck - Performing This Week... Live at Ronni…: http://youtu.be/_ndyILodYwM

Xpensive Wino

Jeff-Beck-02.jpg

Nobody is more qualified to talk about Jeff Beck’s gear than Stevie Prior.

On the DVD, Beck is playing through a pair of Fender Pro Juniors. Fender’s Shane Nicholas clarifies, “One was finished in Sonic Blue to match a Custom Shop guitar at the NAMM show, and somehow Jeff ended up with it.”

“The Sonic Blue one has a Jensen P10R Alnico I retrofitted just to get a bit more treble. On the tour now, we’re using these marvelous Lazy J amps built by Jesse Hoff."

“I’m also running a pair of reissue Marshall JTM 45s,” Prior continues. “I’ve stuck them to Marshall custom-made floor wedges, which are 4x12s loaded with Greenbacks, split into two boxes. So one of the JTM 45s runs a pair of wedges downstage, which are effectively a 16-ohm load, and one of the JTM 45s runs a Greenback-loaded 1960BX cabinet onstage. I run all amps through a couple of buffered, isolated splitter boxes, which allow me to run however many rigs I need to. They were built by a guy in the U.K. who worked for Marshall for 30-odd years – now Mike Hill Services (MHS).”

For Beck’s “own” shows, Prior controls an offstage rack that includes such things as a Maestro Ring Modulator, a Mu-Tron octave divider, and an old, gray MXR Power Flanger, “like Eddie Van Halen used.” A pair of limited-edition Marshall JTM 45 100s – “essentially the front end of a JTM 45 with two output stages” – is also employed. From all that, it goes into the MHS buffered, isolated splitting box, then into however many amps we’re using. And we put a pair of Sennheiser 509s on the amplifiers, and generally a 57 or something like that on the 4x12s.”

http://www.vintageguitar.com/9486/jeff-beck/

RocknRollShakeUp

Jeff-Beck-02.jpg

Nobody is more qualified to talk about Jeff Beck’s gear than Stevie Prior.

On the DVD, Beck is playing through a pair of Fender Pro Juniors. Fender’s Shane Nicholas clarifies, “One was finished in Sonic Blue to match a Custom Shop guitar at the NAMM show, and somehow Jeff ended up with it.”

“The Sonic Blue one has a Jensen P10R Alnico I retrofitted just to get a bit more treble. On the tour now, we’re using these marvelous Lazy J amps built by Jesse Hoff."

“I’m also running a pair of reissue Marshall JTM 45s,” Prior continues. “I’ve stuck them to Marshall custom-made floor wedges, which are 4x12s loaded with Greenbacks, split into two boxes. So one of the JTM 45s runs a pair of wedges downstage, which are effectively a 16-ohm load, and one of the JTM 45s runs a Greenback-loaded 1960BX cabinet onstage. I run all amps through a couple of buffered, isolated splitter boxes, which allow me to run however many rigs I need to. They were built by a guy in the U.K. who worked for Marshall for 30-odd years – now Mike Hill Services (MHS).”

For Beck’s “own” shows, Prior controls an offstage rack that includes such things as a Maestro Ring Modulator, a Mu-Tron octave divider, and an old, gray MXR Power Flanger, “like Eddie Van Halen used.” A pair of limited-edition Marshall JTM 45 100s – “essentially the front end of a JTM 45 with two output stages” – is also employed. From all that, it goes into the MHS buffered, isolated splitting box, then into however many amps we’re using. And we put a pair of Sennheiser 509s on the amplifiers, and generally a 57 or something like that on the 4x12s.”

http://www.vintageguitar.com/9486/jeff-beck/

awesome info, thanks! … and Lazy J amps, intriguing..I've been thinking of getting a tweed like amp, I'll have to look into these

Xpensive Wino

Alright, you animals. Get a load o' this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ih3fa1Rp2s8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

brandtkronholm

Of course Jeff Beck used a tiny Fender Pro Jr. amp. Of course he did. It just reinforces his legend. The Pro Jr. is on/off, volume, and tone. The rest is Jef Beck. He remains the greatest.

I have a Pro Jr. but I do not sound like Jeff Beck. But I can be inspired and try my best.

TM1

What.. no Vox AC-30's that The Yardbirds use in their early days or the "Plush Amps" that Jeff and Ronnie used in the first Jeff Beck tours? They looked like Kustom's but were all valve. I think he could plugged up to a stack of turds and sound great!I think I was 15 when the LP "Truth" came out. I had a brown Princeton, a Radio Shack Reverb unit, a Japanese copy of a Gretsch and a Jordan Bosstone (fuzz) an ealy Vox Wah Wah and could almost get that sound like he had on Truth! All I had to do was grow his fingers..