• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

JDPS150

An older pic.
Praying for you Al !
TONe.JPG

moonweasel

I can't go out and play now. The cancer has eaten away so much bone in my left humerus that the bone may break from simple usage not to mention the rather nagging problem of the constant pain I am in. Makes for a cranky Big Al. That is why I'm bummed out. I could have before now it may never happen. My own damn fault. That is why I want you guys to get with some buds, hang, play now and just enjoy it. Think of me when you do. I most likley am facing surgery on my arm and after the tumor is removed they will drill down though my shoulder and insert a titanium rod to stengthen my bone. Honestly I am scared and dreading the whole deal. Still I'll have my own truss rod CONDOM FREE!!! I'm having my own Historic Makeover!!! I love you goys and it is hard to convey how much your good will has bouyed my spirits!

Al,

I am studying the Rolling Stones right now, learning songs I always meant to etc. Do you have a favorite Stones song? If I don't know it already, I'll learn it. Might be a distraction for you to make random people on the internet learn songs you like. :) :) :)

marantz1300

Dont worry about the rod.Its the least of you problems.I have plates in my left arm and right leg plus four screws in my left leg.I dont even know they are there.got a fused left ankle too.Let them help you.

IRussell

Al ~ I just saw this, man hang in there! I've been a fan of your opinionated posts since day 1 and always loved the biter/moaner wisdom of yours. Rock the f'n rod if it helps.

Still wish i hadn't sold my "happy" LPFDC but i still get a kick and a smile at this shot i took when i had her:

74955714.jpg

Sending good thoughts your way!

Big Al

Al,

I am studying the Rolling Stones right now, learning songs I always meant to etc. Do you have a favorite Stones song? If I don't know it already, I'll learn it. Might be a distraction for you to make random people on the internet learn songs you like. :) :) :)

I remember when my band learned "Can you hear me knocking?". We were laughing so hard from the nonesensicle gibberish Jeff, the bassist, swore were the correct lyrics as we all listened to the record! "Honky Tonk Woman" was always one I enjoyed.

Y

yeti

I can't go out and play now. The cancer has eaten away so much bone in my left humerus that the bone may break from simple usage not to mention the rather nagging problem of the constant pain I am in. Makes for a cranky Big Al. That is why I'm bummed out. I could have before now it may never happen. My own damn fault. That is why I want you guys to get with some buds, hang, play now and just enjoy it. Think of me when you do. I most likley am facing surgery on my arm and after the tumor is removed they will drill down though my shoulder and insert a titanium rod to stengthen my bone. Honestly I am scared and dreading the whole deal. Still I'll have my own truss rod CONDOM FREE!!! I'm having my own Historic Makeover!!! I love you goys and it is hard to convey how much your good will has bouyed my spirits!

Best advice ever given on this forum. get past the details and just enjoy the music with what you have in terms of talent, time, gear, ambition, whatever.
I have gotten to know you only via your posts but you have a great impact here. Even if your bones won't let you play anymore your presence here will be a great asset to the LPF.
I'm glad I've met you here :jim :jim :jim

moonweasel

I remember when my band learned "Can you hear me knocking?". We were laughing so hard from the nonesensicle gibberish Jeff, the bassist, swore were the correct lyrics as we all listened to the record! "Honky Tonk Woman" was always one I enjoyed.

Mapleflame and I played that in a band together a few years ago. LOVE that song. Hell, I picked up a vintage Ludwig DownBeat kit from Craigslist, and for the first two weeks, that intro beat was all I knew. :) Tell you what, I always wanted to take the time to better learn the weird stuff Keith was doing in some parts of that song, and the solo which Steve (mapleflame) used to play.

Assignment received, I'm on it! Thanks Al !!!

EDIT: Also just bought Sticky Fingers. I've always survived by compilations and random MP3's from the Napster era, was missing a few songs including Can You Hear Me Knocking.

Last edited:

Pearly Grapes

Hey Al. Don't know what to say except I 'get it'. I'm all too familiar with Sloan-Kettering, MD Anderson, & Vanderbilt Cancer Center. There be some good folks at those places! Go for it man & Best of Luck. I'm saying a prayer right now.
Anyway, I'll be 60 in a few days & those years have taught me to that I *Wholeheartly Agree* with your advice to get out & jam with some buds!!!
Don't Wait!

(Jamming don't mean you have to pick up a guitar. Just hang out with your friends. Tell them to 'Get the Fvck' over to your place & share some lies & other stories!)

Hey EVERYONE; Listen to Big Al. You KNOW he *always* knows WTF he's talking about!!!

Jam On.

JR-Special

I can't go out and play now. The cancer has eaten away so much bone in my left humerus that the bone may break from simple usage <snip> I'm having my own Historic Makeover!!! I love you guys and it is hard to convey how much your good will has bouyed my spirits!

Another price of vintage gear ruined by modern modifications! Seriously though, ouch!

Al one thing I have found that makes more difference than you can imagine is a positive mental outlook. Our bodies follow our minds. Our minds don't always win the battle but a negative outlook will drag you down. Keep up a positive outlook, it will make you feel better and it will help those around you. I know this as I have my own health challenges and keeping a positive outlook is part of what helps me. And yes, I know it is not easy to do.

Playing with my buds is the best! No matter what challenges I face they seem like a lighter burden after a jam session. Music heals and sharing music with others doubly so.

I pulled out my LP Special last night and gave the Allman Brothers tune "Gamblers Roll" a wailing to speed your recovery.

bird72

Big Al, I don't post much here, read and lurk a lot though. You are one poster here that I instantly liked. You are full of fire and life and that is your best weapon against the dragon. I spent 5 years off and on chemo, and beat my dragon. My only advice, is the MIND (with the meds helping) is the best weapon you have. The power of positive thought and living is medicinal down to the DNA cellular level. I am rooting and cheering for you, you ornery tough SOB you! Love you Bro, in spite of not really knowing you. Kick Ass and wring that effin' dragons neck.

Black58

If ya should pass, Brother Al, would ya like this to be a sticky
or jus' keep it a reg'lar thread, runnin'? :hmm

shred

I know you mean it well Blackie, but I'd consider editing that post... Under the circumstances I'm sure it's the least of his concerns...

Elliot Easton

Here's a cheerful SG to hopefully make you smile.
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Big Al.
Your pal,
EE

P1030169.jpg

Billy Porter

A big plec for Big Al (+73 LPC)

IMG_0985.jpg

Can't help but like a guy that cut's through some of the cr*p spoken on forums. Take care of yourself :dude: