• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

60th Anniv.Wildwood

guitplayer

Wonderful instrument. having a pretty good stable of old guitars,
you get a feel for what its supposed to sound and feel like. Even
unplugged. This one is it. Cant put it down. I keep picking something else up.
That does not compare.
This has aged plastic and metal. The right weight.
Neck size for a 59. I guess those new dudes at Gibson are nailing it!!:applaude

Attachments

• May 2019 123.jpg
    May 2019 123.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 286
  • May 2019 135.jpg
    May 2019 135.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 259
  • May 2019 137.jpg
    May 2019 137.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 439

guitplayer

Check out the aged inlays compared to my 05 R8.

Attachments

• May 2019 145.jpg
    May 2019 145.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 134

guitplayer

I have a question about the pots on this guitar. The VOL does not seem to
kick in till about 1.5 on the knob. Originally ,I just thought thats how
these are but compared to my others , that/they kick in about what you would
expect . I can hear guitar at 0.5 and slowly creeps up with dial.
The pot on the 2019 just pops in ,like I said at 1.5. Should/ could I replace that one pot with an old 500k 1376852? I have some of those.:)

HarleyD

Just picked up a 1959 60th Anniversary from the Music Zoo. What do you guys think, this is one of the newer colors
B365E8D2-5918-4847-B552-AC1383FEC0F1.jpg

guitplayer

Something up with the "new" Gibson brand pot. At least for me.
Replaced with another 500k. Problem solved of the VOL just kickin in at 1 1/2.
Now gradual from 1/2.
Neck VOL.pot will stay the same. Its always on 10 anyway.

guitplayer

Nice fiddle. But cannot understand why they put such a cheap
pot in the guitar. I replaced the 2 VOL.

guitplayer

I think the tone is there. I`ve played this guitar for a few weeks now.
Picked up my R8 ,Its a beast compared. Beast in the way, I don`t have to
to turn the amp up. 60th was kinda low. So I want them to be as close to same as possible.
Being Les Pauls.
Is there anything (magnet swap) I can do to increase the output.

cvriz

I dont know about a magnet swap but with my new 60th you gotta hit an od pedal for creamy lead work. And Im using a Komet.These unpotted custom buckers sound real good. Only issue is bridge pup squeals like a pig.Need to dab a drop of silicone under the cover. Now I need to check my vol pots and see if Im experiencing your issue. Necks on the 59 version are perfect. They are just about exact to my r5s. Funny, the custom buckers in my 2013 r9 and my 2014 v do not sound anywhere near as good as these new pups. This may be the first Lp where I keep the pups! Also, hats off to Wildwood , very easy to deal with.

stephenswayne73

Wonderful instrument. having a pretty good stable of old guitars,
you get a feel for what its supposed to sound and feel like. Even
unplugged. This one is it. Cant put it down. I keep picking something else up.
That does not compare.
This has aged plastic and metal. The right weight.
Neck size for a 59. I guess those new dudes at Gibson are nailing it!!:applaude

Yeah, Wildwood took the 60th '59 model and stepped it up a notch with the aged plastic and custom wound pick ups. Wildwood also does a great job picking figured tops. I had already purchased my 60th Anniversary '59 (non-Wildwood version) before I saw Wildwood start carry these. Thankfully the dealer I went through got Gibson to allow me access to their Dropbox folder of 60th R9's that were ready to ship out to dealers. I got an amazing one in Slow Iced Tea with the perfect top for my tastes (photo attached)!! Now, three months later, I still go back to Gibson's Dropbox folder to see what they are producing and it's clear that they are running out of good tops. Some of the ones I saw just out of production were so plain with zero figure. I love how Gibson has turned themselves around in quality and nailing the specs down to be more true to a vintage '59, but they seriously need to stop production on these if they can't come up with good figured tops.

Attachments

• IMG_1469.jpg
    IMG_1469.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 91

JPP-1

Congrats on the sweet 60th.

Is adjusting the volume knob on your amp to correlate with the varying output of the particular guitar you are playing presenting you with a hardship?
I don't see why turning up the volume on your amp would be an issue if you are otherwise happy with your 60ths tone response sustain etc.

If you prefer your "bolder" sounding R8, measure the dc resistance of the pups in each guitar. If the R8 is substantially higher then perhaps a higher output pickup would provide you with a 60th more to your liking while also alleviating the necessity to adjust the amp's volume after switching guitars.

The standard alnico magnets II,III IV and V can change the tonal characteristic of the pickup which may alter the perceived output depending on the frequency response but it will not boost output in any meaningful way.

Good luck.

I think the tone is there. I`ve played this guitar for a few weeks now.
Picked up my R8 ,Its a beast compared. Beast in the way, I don`t have to
to turn the amp up. 60th was kinda low. So I want them to be as close to same as possible.
Being Les Pauls.
Is there anything (magnet swap) I can do to increase the output.