• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

late-1960s ES-335 headstock minutiae, etc.

gadzooka

Those knobs don't look original because Gibson never used black reflector knobs on sunbursts, as far as I know. They used gold reflector knobs on sunbursts until sometime in the middle of 1967 when they switched to the amp knobs. My '67 has the gold reflector knobs, which I assume means that it is likely from the "earlier" side of 1967. But the inlay on my guitar is very low. I still think Zorglub has a late '65 or a '66.

keef

I agree with the knobs, though Gibson sometimes did strange things.

The 335s on Gbase show practically all '67s with the lower positioned crown inlay. That would mean that the picture gallery of the OP may not be entirely correct from a dating perspective. '67 may therefore be too late.

A '65 on the other hand would very likely have a wider neck (1 11/16 or 1 5/8), as per my earlier research on this subject. In view of the comments on this smallish neck I assume it's 1 9/16". All in all, 1966 could be a correct guestimate...but then the pickguard would have to have a wide bevel......

Julio, I guess you did not look at the pots - I assume one of those will not have a can, and could yield a date.

The size of the f-holes is also an indicator...but I forgot when these got bigger in the 60s.

Last edited:

Flogger

Here's a bit more fuel. The first pic is a 63 ES175. Note the logo and flowerpot placement.
Picture026.jpg
Next, a 66 ES345. The logo and pot are lower.
Picture003.jpg

gadzooka

Also, Zorglub asked about the body shape of his guitar. The horns look quite narrow to me, like a '66 or '67...and not so much like the slightly more rounded shape I have seen on some '68 guitars (like my formerly owned ES-345). All in all, if I had to place a bet, I'd call 1966 to be the year of that guitar.

kerryboy

crown inlay on headstock
There seem to be two versions of this inlay. One is "chunkier" (left) and the other is narrower (right):

crown_inlay_1.jpg
crown_inlay_2.jpg

It might be just me, but the headstock crown inlay on the left looks longer and narrower to me and the one on the right is shorter and wider. I.e. the one on the right is the chunkier of the two.​

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
It is difficult to see if yours has a wider pickguard bevel (which changed to the smaller bevel in 1967-8).
Thanks a lot for the feedback, here you have the pickguard, is it the wider bevel one?

pickguard.jpg

Last edited:

keef

That looks like a narrower bevel pg. Compare it to the Gadzooka 335 guard, which also has the narrower bevel.

IF it's original to the guitar, that would again indicate a '66-'67 timeline. Any luck in checking the pot date?

vintage58

Thanks a lot for the very informative thread, I am just trying to date my late '60s ES-335 and would appreciate your feedback on what type of body shape it has: pointy-cutaways one (until '67) or the rounder one ('68/'69).

body_front.jpg

It's worth noting that the body shapes shown in the diagram that I posted earlier are not set in stone—i.e., each one depicted is "approximate." Alternately stated, within each individual shape, there can be a fair amount of variation from guitar to guitar, and guitars exist that are anomalous for a given approximate shape. The same goes for the position of the crown inlays on these guitars' headstocks.

That having been said—going solely by the photo you posted, I would guess that the latest year of production for your guitar would be 1967. To see a headstock photo might further pin down its chronology. Anyway, the "sharper" cutaway shape shown in your photo indicates earlier rather than later, and your guitar also has the narrower f-holes, which also indicate earlier rather than later.

Hope this helps.

vintage58

Also, as keef pointed out, the pickguard you posted indeed has the narrower (i.e., later-style) bevel. I used to own an original 1966 ES-345 that had the earlier wider-bevel pickguard, so my tentative guess concerning the year of your guitar's production would be 1967.

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
Keef, thanks a lot for the info. I have not had the chance to check the pots because I need a small mirror to get inside the f-holes, but I will try to get one and let you know as soon as possible.

vintage58, thanks again for the great thread and feedback. Here you have a compilation of all details I think might be useful to date my guitar, together with the pic of the headstock you asked for.
  • Serial number indicates '66 or '69
  • Converted from trapeze to stop tailpiece
  • Gibson logo has dot on "i" (through '68?, or '70 and on), and "b" and "o" are open (through '69)
  • No volute is pre '70
  • One piece neck is pre '70
  • Narrow fretboard (1 9/16") started in '66 and lasted till '69
  • Headstock angle is 14º, which started in '66
  • Narrow f-holes
  • "Union made" orange label
  • Narrow bevel pickguard
  • Reflector knobs (might have been changed but they are already there in the photo from '77)
  • Stamped "Pat. no." chrome bridge with nylon saddles , and chrome tailpiece
  • Body shape with pointy cutaways, meaning until '67
  • Crown inlay on headstock is the "chunkier" version (through and including '69)
  • Now the curious thing is that the bottom of the crown inlay is just between the middle tuners. meaning it should be '66 or even earlier (???)
335-08.jpg

Last edited:

vintage58

vintage58, thanks again for the great thread and feedback. Here you have a compilation of all details I think might be useful to date my guitar, together with the pic of the headstock you asked for.
  • Serial number indicates '66 or '69
  • Converted from trapeze to stop tailpiece
  • Gibson logo has dot on "i" (through '68?, or '70 and on), and "b" and "o" are open (through '69)
  • No volute is pre '70
  • One piece neck is pre '70
  • Narrow fretboard (1 9/16") started in '66 and lasted till '69
  • Headstock angle is 14º, which started in '66
  • Narrow f-holes
  • "Union made" orange label
  • Narrow bevel pickguard
  • Reflector knobs (might have been changed but they are already there in the photo from '77)
  • Stamped "Pat. no." chrome bridge with nylon saddles , and chrome tailpiece
  • Body shape with pointy cutaways, meaning until '67
  • Crown inlay on headstock is the "chunkier" version (through and including '69)
  • Now the curious thing is that the bottom of the crown inlay is just between the middle tuners. meaning it should be '66 or even earlier (???)
335-08.jpg

zorglub!, going by the specs list and headstock photo that you just posted, my revised guess would be that your guitar is a '66. If, as you said, the serial number indicates either '66 or '69.... well, the guitar is clearly not a '69—so the serial number would then point to '66. The position of the crown inlay in your above photo, although hardly an infallible method of dating these guitars, also indicates '66. All of the other specs you gave, as well, are certainly consistent with 1966. So, I would say your guitar is a '66 with added stop tailpiece, changed tuners, and (probably) changed knobs. Note that I think the knobs are replacements not so much because they don't happen to be "witch hats" (on which subject, an earlier reply to this thread suggests that witch-hat knobs did not appear on these guitars until 1967), but more because they do not appear to be the correct color of reflector knob for this model of guitar—i.e., if the original knobs on your guitar were indeed reflectors, then they should have been gold, rather than black. As for the guitar's pickguard being the variant with the narrower bevel.... perhaps your guitar is a late(r)-'66? That's about as specific a guess as I could take.

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
vintage58 & gadzooka, thanks a lot for your feedback, I agree it must be a '66. After confirming with its previous owners that they had not changed the electronics, and following keef's advice I took a look at the pots codes with a small mirror inside the cavity. They have the following code on the top (nothing on the side): CBA-811-1053 500k AT 13766... This last number (6) can hardly be read because the soldered joint covers half of it, but after 40 minutes looking at it from many different angles, I am pretty sure it is a 6. So it looks like after all it was built in 1966, it feels good to know a little bit more about this guitar! :)

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
Although there have already been numerous discussions on the Les Paul Forum about Les Pauls from 1968, 1969, and 1970—specifically, on how to differentiate one year's set (or mixture) of specifications from another—there doesn't seem to have ever been a definitive 'counterpart' thread about ES-335's from those years. Given that Gibson serial numbers between 1966 and 1969 are a bit, uh, "murky" (to say the least), I thought perhaps there should be such a thread.

Along those lines, below is a random list of late-1960s ES-335 specifications, and related observations and/or questions. Please feel to amend or disagree with any of this, since I'm mainly trying to clarify my own understanding of these specs. As always, any input would be greatly appreciated:

Gibson lo
go on headstock
- dot appears over "i" (through 1968?)
- dot over "i" disappears (1969)
- dot over "i" reappears (1970 and on)
- "b" and "o" are open (through 1969)
- "b" and "o" are closed (1970 and on)

crown inlay on headstock
There seem to be two versions of this inlay. One is "chunkier" (left) and the other is narrower (right):

crown_inlay_1.jpg
crown_inlay_2.jpg

The chunkier version seems to have been used through and including 1969. The narrower version seems to first appear in 1969, and then continues through 1970 (and on, presumably?).

The placement of the crown inlay also seems to vary quite a bit (even within each individual year), but in general seems to get lower with each subsequent year, until it "settles" approximately half an inch from the upper end of the truss rod cover in 1970, as the below images illustrate; note the change in the four 1969 images, from the first version of the inlay to the subsequent version:

inlay_placement.jpg

Label inside bass-side f-hole
Norlin-era rectangular label first appears in 1970; however, earlier-style oval orange label is apparently still seen even after 1970.

Volute
Begins in 1970?

"Made in U.S.A." stamp beneath serial number on back of headstock
Begins in 1970?

Three-piece neck
Begins in 1969? (I've seen at least one 1969 ES-335 that had a three-piece neck with no volute and no "Made in U.S.A." stamp.)

"Witch hat" knobs
In what year do these first replace reflector knobs?

The photos you posted here showing the evolution in height of the flowerpot / crown inlay are not available anymore. Would you please be so kind to post them again? Thanks! :salude

vintage58

The photos you posted here showing the evolution in height of the flowerpot / crown inlay are not available anymore. Would you please be so kind to post them again? Thanks! :salude
Sure – will do, zorglub!. Sorry for the lapse. I stopped using the Web hosting I had earlier, and those pics are on another computer. Need to go look for them, and should be able to repost the original images from this thread sometime either later today or tomorrow.

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
Sure – will do, zorglub!. Sorry for the lapse. I stopped using the Web hosting I had earlier, and those pics are on another computer. Need to go look for them, and should be able to repost the original images from this thread sometime either later today or tomorrow.
Fantastic, many thanks! :salude