• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Calling all Page 1275 owners.... We have a situation...

J T

That version without the vocals is a little weird.

He was really soloing it most of the way through. That is tough pull off to begin with.

And at about 8:32 somebody threw something at him.

J T

Wow what a memorable concert that must have been!
What a line up!

9/20/1983

Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
J.J. Cale
Stevie Windwood
Danny Flowers
Al Green
Spencer Davis
Ronnie Lane

others?

Todd Louis

That was 84? ... did they all play to gether? That's like a Yardbirds Super Jam ....

Elliot Easton

That was 84? ... did they all play to gether? That's like a Yardbirds Super Jam ....

They did all play together on stage; I think it was the first time ever. I distinctly remember how awkward Page's solo set felt. You know, when someone is bombing and you feel a sort of sympathetic sense of being uncomfortable? In person, the vibe of that "Stairway" performance was so weird. Those other players didn't seem to have planned to play with him, but I got the definite vibe that they were trying to help out a friend in trouble. He came out alone with the 1275 and just played verse after verse after verse of the song, but w/o vocals it didn't make any sense, going on and on with the same part that way. Then Simon Phillips came out to at least give it some rhythm and a beat for Page to play to. I think Stevie Winwood played a bit of keyboard and finally Clapton and Beck came out. Page was sweating profusely and seemed sort of like he hadn't played in a while and looked like he was in rough shape. After that, he played something from the film "Death Wish" with Stevie Winwood, that they had composed for the soundtrack. For that one he played his brown Tele with the B string bender. It was a bit better, but he had a cigarette stuck in his mouth and the smoke seemed to be burning his eyes. Between that and the flop sweat and the sloppy playing, it clearly was not his finest moment. Now, obviously, these are just my impressions from sitting in the audience, but I've been around group dynamics and concert stages long enough to know the score and this is exactly what I saw. On the other hand Beck and Clapton were smokin' that night and Eric plugged his Explorer into I think, a tweed Fender for some killer blues, and Beck was well, Beck! Afterwards I went to the after-show party at the London Hard Rock and got to meet most of them and more interestingly, observe them offstage. Roger Waters and Clapton were huddled at a booth intensly discussing something, and shortly after that Clapton played on his record and toured with him. I met Beck and talked to him for a while, but the biggest thrill was seeing Patti Boyd Harrison Clapton, the ultimate 60's mod dolly bird. Meeting rock legends is great but I have my priorities!:jim

jb_abides

Those other players didn't seem to have planned to play with him, but I got the definite vibe that they were trying to help out a friend in trouble.

You are correct, Elliot.

All you critics, please cut Pagey some slack.

The ARMS Royal Albert Hall concert came not only after a prolonged absence from the stage (live performance) but also in the wake of the death of Bonham in Page's house, and during his final shaking off of a reported 7 year (!) heroin addiction [hence the profuse sweating, a withdrawal symptom].

After the death of Bonham, Page, who had deeply heartfelt feelings for his drummer, was devastated not only at the loss of his 10+ vision and band situation, but at a loss of a dear friend and associate. He was a recluse and has stated he rarely played or "touched a guitar" for a couple years. Muscle memory fades, as does the requisite coordination. And I'm not sure, but I'll wager heroin compounds this atrophy rather that staves it off!

The Death Wish II soundtrack was his first shaky attempt to get back in the saddle but it wasn't so guitar-dominated and has lots of synth passages. And the playing was not 1st rate...

That Ronnie Lane -- despite being sidelined from playing by MS -- would be so hopeful in organizing a (pre-Live Aid) benefit was something of a revelation to Jimmy, it appears: getting him to confront "getting himself together."

The other numbers in his ARMS set were from DW II and so more readily accessible to him, playing-wise. When he went for "Stairway" he most likely hadn't played it nice Knebworth and the rehearsals for the never-to-be US '80 tour.

So, indeed, this was not only a benefit for MS research, but a coaxing-out of the hole for Jimmy, with a little help from his friends, Eric and Jeff. Eric, of course, was well acquanted with the ravages of a heroin addiction born out of heart-breaking pain.

So, if anything, it wasn't the bum notes that made him gaze with concern at Jimmy, but caring for a friend who was giving his all to get back into proper form -- all while helping another friend raise dollars (pounds) for research.

And while, out of context, that clip has some rather weak playing by a legend, the reality is that those following Jimmy's situation closely understood that they were seeing a ghost come back to life... and very very supportive.

The place erupted for Jimmy after his set with an outpouring of warmth -- Elliot do you remember if that was palpable?

I only do because those were the days MTV broadcast the first showing totally live and unedited. The later showings were cut for time, etc. It seemed like forvever that Jimmy stood there, his frail and bony frame exposed as his clothes clung to him drenched by sweat, looking a bit suprised and then blessed by the outouring. By the end, where before he was gangly and unsure, he seemed to regain a bit of the ol' Page swagger. At after the applause, a broad endless grin came to him.

It was shocking to see given how gaunt he had become, but I remember clinging to my seat and understanding that he was getting a lot from the experience, and that made me really jazzed for him.

I am not sure if everybody remembers, but YES people did slag him for sloppy playing but the overwhelming story was how he seized that day and began to be Jimmy Page again. Of course, the long-hoped-for Yardbirds Trio of slingers was not really on display that day...

Also recall that after that show, they went of a 10 or so date tour of the US, and Page was up for it, and was clearly on the mend, and getting excited of the prospects for a future in music, one that he nearly shut-out completely when Bonzo was taken. On those dates, he dusted off some old progressions he had been working on in the Zep days, which became "Midnight Moonlight" after Paul Rogers joined some of the ARMS dates. And that appeared on the 1st album of their collaboration as 'The Firm'.

So yes, Elliot was spot-on. I wish us all the company of such friends if we find ourselves in similar Dire Straits :jim

Now... how was Pattie? I was more partial to Jenny myself... You would generate an amazing iPod/iTunes Playlist if you took the songs that were inspired by the Boyd girls and throw in some Rosanna Arquette inspired tunes as well.

Ah, chasing the muse... :rofl

Cheers

:salude

Last edited:

Elliot Easton

JB, I honestly can't remember the sort of ovation Page received and have only shared actual memories of that night that still linger. Patti looked beautiful. Older of course, but very classy and cute as all get-out!

Todd Louis

Hey I love Page .... that's why I was surprises it was 84. And after I knew that I under stood why he was playing like that hey we all have a bade night.

But I did sound like a Cool night to see a tree of them up there together.

and EE was there to give us the Play by Play.:applaude

The Boz 56

The first reason I got my (non-page) Double-neck was after seeing Slash playing one both in the GnR days and also in Velvet Revolver. They did a great version of Wish You Were Here when I saw them earlier this year and that sealed it for me!!
In my band I use it for Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi, and Knockin' On Heavens Door.

Hey anyone dig this guy:

MO-Crystal-Palace1972.jpg

You just don't go home and start playing his tunes though. Even if you have the chops go find a band to back that up!

The Boz 56

If that's the Albert Hall ARMS benefit from '84, I was there!

I saw the Dec 9, 1983 show at MSG in NY. It was so great to see Pagey back on the stage even though he was pretty shaky. Hope we get that LZ reunion they're planning. Getting back to the Arms show Clapton was smart to go first - his set was pretty snoozy. Jeff Beck blew the roof off of the joint next - the Gov'nor had his way with the crowd. The crowd was extremely warm and receptive to Jimmy. It turned out to be a great night for me because after the show I went to Kenny's Castaways to see my friend Jack Sonni's band play and Mark Knopfler showed up and jammed with him. Jack went on to tour with Dire Straits.

Elliot Easton

It turned out to be a great night for me because after the show I went to Kenny's Castaways to see my friend Jack Sonni's band play and Mark Knopfler showed up and jammed with him. Jack went on to tour with Dire Straits.

Jack was still working at Rudy's at that point, right?

The Boz 56

Jack was still working at Rudy's at that point, right?

Yes. That was some story. Next time I saw him I bumped into him strolling around 57th and 6th before a Dire Straits gig at Radio City. He was dressed like Jimi bandana and all - he hooked me with some tix down front and it was a great show - as a live band I think they peaked with Jack's energy. Anyone know what he's doing now - last I heard he was still in the music biz.

Elliot Easton

Yes. That was some story. Next time I saw him I bumped into him strolling around 57th and 6th before a Dire Straits gig at Radio City. He was dressed like Jimi bandana and all - he hooked me with some tix down front and it was a great show - as a live band I think they peaked with Jack's energy. Anyone know what he's doing now - last I heard he was still in the music biz.

The last time I ran into him he was working for Seymour Duncan.

Todd Louis

I GOT MINE :applaude :applaude :applaude

Jimmy Page 12/75 Yes I aged and put covers on the 6 string PU's

You's know how I am I like the sound of coverd PU's

000_2621.jpg

000_2622.jpg

000_2617.jpg

young angus

The Gibson policy for signature models is strange. As far as I know only one famous guitarist used a double neck SG as his main instrument for many years, and that was John Mclaughlin. Seeing the clips above with Page and comparing them to the Mclaughlin makes it very clear that John could handle the instrument like no one else. So why is there a Page signature model and no Mclaughlin?!!

Browneyes

Granted you are right Angus., however a corporation needs to do what it needs to do to stay afloat. Page can definately sell more 1275 than anyone else playing one.

Ask how many members here are familiar with John and you may see 4 or 5 out of 10. Ask how many members here are familiar with Stairway to Heaven and it will be unanimous.