• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Did Gibson make 50th Anniversary R9's in 2010?

Keystone9800

Hi..I am new to LPs and this forum, so forgive my ignorance.

I want to buy a R9 for my son's graduation gift and have learned enough about this guitar to be dangerous. I have found a Gibson Historic 50th Anniversary R9 Les Paul (Faded Maple Leaf Burst), that is a beauty. The seller represented it as a 2009, and it has a Black "50th" COA but it also has a serial number that begins with 90xxx, which would be strange for a 2009 year. When I called Gibson to verify they told me that it was manufactured in 2010, but was a "50th Anniversary R9" (not an R0). I assume this just meant Gibson kept the 50th Anniversary gravy train running because there was demand. Anyone know how many 50th R9s they made in 2010? (I did search this forum before posting...no info).

Neither my son or I care that it is a 50th Anniversary, he just likes how it looks and will give it a test run tomorrow to see if he likes how it plays and feels. I know that is what is most important. However, I am fascinated by the avid LP owner/collector community and know that sometimes it is the little things that can impact resale. I just don't want to get him an LP that might be difficult for him to sell down the road because its a 50th Anniversary 1959 Historic that was actually built in 2010 not a 2009.

So, what do you think? Does this matter at all?

MikeSlub

Administrator
Hi..I am new to LPs and this forum, so forgive my ignorance.

I want to buy a R9 for my son's graduation gift and have learned enough about this guitar to be dangerous. I have found a Gibson Historic 50th Anniversary R9 Les Paul (Faded Maple Leaf Burst), that is a beauty. The seller represented it as a 2009, and it has a Black "50th" COA but it also has a serial number that begins with 90xxx, which would be strange for a 2009 year. When I called Gibson to verify they told me that it was manufactured in 2010, but was a "50th Anniversary R9" (not an R0). I assume this just meant Gibson kept the 50th Anniversary gravy train running because there was demand. Anyone know how many 50th R9s they made in 2010? (I did search this forum before posting...no info).

Neither my son or I care that it is a 50th Anniversary, he just likes how it looks and will give it a test run tomorrow to see if he likes how it plays and feels. I know that is what is most important. However, I am fascinated by the avid LP owner/collector community and know that sometimes it is the little things that can impact resale. I just don't want to get him an LP that might be difficult for him to sell down the road because its a 50th Anniversary 1959 Historic that was actually built in 2010 not a 2009.

So, what do you think? Does this matter at all?
Hi, and welcome to the Forum. I own a large number of 50th Anniversary R9s (photo below), some with gold and some with black COAs. I don't think the fact that the serial number is 2010 makes any difference at all, especially since the COA indicates it is a 50th Anniversary guitar.

They did make 50th Anniversary R0s in 2010 in three versions (big neck like early 1960 models, medium size necks like transitional mid 1960 models, and thin neck like late 1960 "tomato soup" models with reflector knobs). But if Gibson told you their records said that yours is an R9 then it is likely one that was in production at year end and ended up with the 2010 serial number.
Congratulations to your son, and he is a lucky guy to have a Dad that is buying him an amazing guitar! :dude:

2009 50th Anniversary R9s:

No_4_2009_59_Reissue_11_1_09.JPG

2010 50th Anniversary R0s:

60_Reissues_50th_Anniversary_v1_v2_v3.JPG

Keystone9800

Thanks MikeSlub. "..a large number.." is almost an understatement. Wow!

I am very proud of my son and have loved hearing him play, and am blessed to be able to get him a Les Paul.

I just got off of the phone with another Gibson rep. This rep telling me the serial number does not mention it as a 50th. He also went on to say he was in sales during this time period and never saw or sold a 2010 50th Anniversary. He was not able or willing to confirm that Gibson didn't make any 50th models in 2010, but was skeptical there were.

Mike, either you bought your collection new or you have looked at a lot of 5oth listings over the years. Have you ever run across 5oth versions with a 2010 serial number?

Again, I know what is most important is that my son loves it, but this 2010 thing has me worried something else is going on with this listing.

Any comments/advice are welcome. Thank you.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Thanks MikeSlub. "..a large number.." is almost an understatement. Wow!

I am very proud of my son and have loved hearing him play, and am blessed to be able to get him a Les Paul.

I just got off of the phone with another Gibson rep. This rep telling me the serial number does not mention it as a 50th. He also went on to say he was in sales during this time period and never saw or sold a 2010 50th Anniversary. He was not able or willing to confirm that Gibson didn't make any 50th models in 2010, but was skeptical there were.

Mike, either you bought your collection new or you have looked at a lot of 5oth listings over the years. Have you ever run across 5oth versions with a 2010 serial number?

Again, I know what is most important is that my son loves it, but this 2010 thing has me worried something else is going on with this listing.

Any comments/advice are welcome. Thank you.

Send me an email to MikeSlub@aol.com with your cell phone number and I will call you. :hank

Keystone9800

Mike...thanks again for responding to my post and talking with me on the phone. I am grateful.:applaude

DvnLesPaul

All Access/Backstage Pass
TrT96I6.jpg

XsDRduy.jpg

Sorry for the hasty cell phone pics, the top is actually quite stunning.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Definite proof that the limited Scotch Burst run has non-traditional serial numbers for the 50th Anniversary. Very weird, but anything is possible with Gibson. Cool guitar! I stand corrected. :hank

JPP-1

Wow Mike, that is some collection. Some awesome looking tops too. And that's just your 2010s Lol. You probably have more Historic Les Pauls then Gibson's custom shop.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum. I own a large number of 50th Anniversary R9s (photo below), some with gold and some with black COAs. I don't think the fact that the serial number is 2010 makes any difference at all, especially since the COA indicates it is a 50th Anniversary guitar.

They did make 50th Anniversary R0s in 2010 in three versions (big neck like early 1960 models, medium size necks like transitional mid 1960 models, and thin neck like late 1960 "tomato soup" models with reflector knobs). But if Gibson told you their records said that yours is an R9 then it is likely one that was in production at year end and ended up with the 2010 serial number.
Congratulations to your son, and he is a lucky guy to have a Dad that is buying him an amazing guitar! :dude:

Keystone9800

COA & Flame.jpg

My son is now part of the Les Paul club. :dude: My hope is that he passes it on to his son or daughter.

Thanks to Mike, Dvn, Randy and others for their time, comments and encouragement. Dvn, it was great to see proof of other 50th's with 2010 #s. Perhaps these are the rarest 50th's of all? :biggrin:

MikeSlub

Administrator
View attachment 9728

My son is now part of the Les Paul club. :dude: My hope is that he passes it on to his son or daughter.

Thanks to Mike, Dvn, Randy and others for their time, comments and encouragement. Dvn, it was great to see proof of other 50th's with 2010 #s. Perhaps these are the rarest 50th's of all? :biggrin:
Congratulations to you and your son, Mark! :dude:

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

[/QUOTE]

Mike, you need help...:spabout

latestarter

I’ve been feeling bad about a guitar buying binge recently. Mike, you’ve made me feel a lot better.

and well done Dad for supporting your son. I have three - things are already getting expensive.

Guitardon

Speaking of dads buying sons a guitar, my dad bought me one when I was 12. He had to take out a loan and I felt sorry for him. In the store looking forward was a ES-125 on the left wall was a LP sunburst. I knew he was hoping I would go for the 125 for $175 instead of the LP for $350. So I felt bad he was taking out for a loan so I went with the 125. Of course at that time LP’s hadn’t been discovered by all the great players and I was 12, what did I know.

You did a great thing for your son and he will remember it for the rest of his life. I know, cause even though I didn’t get the LP, he said I could have any guitar I wanted. I feel I did the right thing. I’ll always remember the great sacrifice he made for me. I was 12, I knew nothing about LP’s. It would have been years before they hit the spotlight, I would probably traded it for a Fender. They were more popular in the early 60’s. Congratulations for doing such a wonderful for your son.

El Gringo

Speaking of dads buying sons a guitar, my dad bought me one when I was 12. He had to take out a loan and I felt sorry for him. In the store looking forward was a ES-125 on the left wall was a LP sunburst. I knew he was hoping I would go for the 125 for $175 instead of the LP for $350. So I felt bad he was taking out for a loan so I went with the 125. Of course at that time LP’s hadn’t been discovered by all the great players and I was 12, what did I know.

You did a great thing for your son and he will remember it for the rest of his life. I know, cause even though I didn’t get the LP, he said I could have any guitar I wanted. I feel I did the right thing. I’ll always remember the great sacrifice he made for me. I was 12, I knew nothing about LP’s. It would have been years before they hit the spotlight, I would probably traded it for a Fender. They were more popular in the early 60’s. Congratulations for doing such a wonderful for your son.
That is a most awesome story about your Dad ! Your Dad sounds the best !

thxphotog

View attachment 9728

Wow!! Gorgeous and happy for you & your son!!