• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Do you remember when...

LeonC

...entertainment consisted of sitting around with your friends and just listening to records???

Damn...that was a looooooong time ago.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
...entertainment consisted of sitting around with your friends and just listening to records???

I went to lots of concerts with friends in high school and college, but at the time, I tended to think of actual record listening as a somewhat personal thing, usually at night while reading (often books or articles about the bands I was listening to), and driving to school. But you're right -- that was a long time ago. Which is why this thread makes me feel like Grandpa Simpson, back in the day:

garywright

Oh yeah ..I remember that very well ..the album jackets were part of the fun as well the newest Circus Magazine :salude

Don

Some friends of mine and I get together a few times a year and do this. It's great!

renderit

I just waited 'til Mom and Dad were gone and opened the winders and cranked Dad's stereo all the way!

Then the whole neighborhood could enjoy!

ourmaninthenorth

...and the 10 cigs..don't forget the cigs.

I haven't smoked for a few years now, but still can't listen to Zeppelin without wanting one...

LeonC

garywright - yeah man...album covers!!! I loved reading album covers. I wanted to know who the producer was, who engineered this track or that, who got writing credits, background vocals...who did the cover art, etc. etc. I read so many covers so many times, I wound up memorizing a lot of that. Remember Gail Collins not only did the first few album covers for Mountain, but she co-wrote Strange Brew with Felix Papalardi (who produced some of Cream's greatest) and Clapton (...and was married to Pappalardi and wound up murdering Felix years later :dang ).

Yes indeed. Music sure was a wonderland back then. I could spend hours and hours just listening and reading the jackets.

I hope kids still feel that way about it...but I kinda doubt it.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
garywright - yeah man...album covers!!! I loved reading album covers. I wanted to know who the producer was, who engineered this track or that, who got writing credits, background vocals...who did the cover art, etc. etc. I read so many covers so many times, I wound up memorizing a lot of that. Remember Gail Collins not only did the first few album covers for Mountain, but she co-wrote Strange Brew with Felix Papalardi (who produced some of Cream's greatest) and Clapton (...and was married to Pappalardi and wound up murdering Felix years later :dang ).

Yes indeed. Music sure was a wonderland back then. I could spend hours and hours just listening and reading the jackets.

I hope kids still feel that way about it...but I kinda doubt it.

I know there are still obsessives like we were, but less and less of them. It's been strange watching music "shrink" beginning in the mid-1980s. Having had plenty of scratchy and skipping records and muddy cassettes, I loved the clarity of CDs (even with the bad mastering of many early CDs), but watching 12" album covers shrink to 5" five inches wide and the liner notes become microscopic was certainly disheartening. I love the portability of MP3s and having my entire record collection in the cloud, but kids today consume individual songs, killing the concept album. And the economics of recording industry means that bands record much less and tour off of albums recorded 30, 40, or 50 so years ago. Which brings me back to Grandpa Simpson's curmudgeonly warning above. :hee

LeonC

No question. Best rock rag ever. I consumed album covers too.

do you remember when we toked down?

Hell yes. Sit around with friends in the room and pass the pipe or joint around and just groove on the latest Jimi or Cream or Zepp or whatever was on the turntable. Invariably, this ended when everyone was ready to raid the fridge and pantry, lol!

Progrocker111

Yes, its best with bigger groups (from college), with some girls too, ideally at weekend in some weekendhouse outside of the city. Many bottles of wine etc..., great memories :)

Bob Womack

Yep, me best high school mate and I used to spend hours playing DJ for each other and spinning the albums and album jacket credits were a big part of it as well as criticism of recording, mixes, and mastering. I guess there's no real question why I ended up a recording engineer/producer, eh?

Bob

Mars Hall

Sadly, most of my music consumption nowadays is in the vehicle, while traveling to work or otherwise.