• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gold Top greening gallery

Doc Sausage

Some serious rash! Some of the checks look almost digital in nature. Similar to a computer screen saver or like an aerial view of an alien landing strip in Peru or something.

JR.Deluxe

How about the SMELL of a Goldtop. You open up the case of a Goldie that has been closed up awhile and the nitro smell come out. Ive never noticed it as strong if at all on other Gibsons.

axehandler

Hello all,

I've been watching this website for a while now, but this is my first post. Here is my 1968 LP GT with slight greening. Its better in person though. Hope the photos work...
IMG_8484.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

mistersnappy

:welcome
Hello all,

I've been watching this website for a while now, but this is my first post. Here is my 1968 LP GT with slight greening. Its better in person though. Hope the photos work...
IMG_8484.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

:welcome Nice guitar! Especially like the old Stone case its in! :yah

bobbradley

Just to make the point that it is not easy to reproduce here's a photo of the 57 RS did that came out okay I guess.....

wharris

Bob, I now own that guitar. I had the top refinished by Kim because I didn't think the original refine was acceptable (story is a long time ago the original owner refinished the top only because the finish checked and greened. :rolleyes: ) We chose not to do any aging on it...I'm going to let it happen naturally. I got a head start letting JB play it last December. It's a great guitar with the best neck I have ever felt. I've been pretty lame not posting any pictures... I'll try to rectify that.

JJ Blair

This is my first attempt at a GT finish. It's a '69. Thanks to everybody for their pics to help me. After doing many science experiments, I was able to figure out how to get the clear to be green, and how to oxide the checking. The only issue that I'm finding is that the greening of the clear wants to eventually turn black.

I think I could do the relic'ing a little better, if for some reason I ever do another GT. Also, if it were a '50s GT, I would not have tried to green the clear coat. But I'm pretty proud of myself, as I've never seen any of the refinishers get the checking to oxide like I did.

69gt_zp2a762.jpg

Last edited:

bobbradley

Bob, I now own that guitar. I had the top refinished by Kim because I didn't think the original refine was acceptable (story is a long time ago the original owner refinished the top only because the finish checked and greened. :rolleyes: ) We chose not to do any aging on it...I'm going to let it happen naturally. I got a head start letting JB play it last December. It's a great guitar with the best neck I have ever felt. I've been pretty lame not posting any pictures... I'll try to rectify that.

Oh man I wanted it so bad and I spent some serious time with it, and oh it has a great feeling neck! Really my benchmark for what a good neck feels like. Congrats please post I'd love to see what Kim did! He has a guitar of mine currently!

pawpaw

Looks very nice. I was just wondering, is there a secondary path and thus an electrical circuit being completed through the metal particles? If so, can you force or speed the chemical reaction with a low voltage replacement for ground to skin to strings to amp?

LowMach

Best thread ever! I keep coming back.....

Thank you very much for posting all these Goldie's!

nuance97

Bumping an old thread, but I thought y'all might like some pics of my friends '56 Lester. Plenty of greening on this one...
SDC14168.jpg

SDC14170.jpg

imagejpg1_zps21828538.jpg

zhivago

Excellent pics, Hoss...they capture the vibe of the guitar perfectly! :)