• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which new pots most like a vintage centralab?

renderit

In return for the years of great advice I've gotten here, I'll tell you about the only pot I've found that sounds like (better to me) the old Centrals.

Right here. https://www.tubesandmore.com/produc...rand=Precision Electronics,Application=Guitar

Yes they're spensive (but how much are the old clabs?) but they are the only pot I've found that sounds as good, actually better! None of the fancy new makes sound like the old pots. Not CTS, not whoever you want to name.

No I'd don't work for them or the vendor. Just so you know I've been critically listening to (and recording to a/b) various parts for about 20 years now. Amps, guitars, audio gear.

WOW! I just got a set of long shaft and short shafts from these guys. They are very expensive ($25 each as opposed to 12 for very good over 500 rated) but man! These are the highest quality pot I have seen by a WIDE margin. The build is superb. Super smooth. One pot was 501K the others were all 510-513! Consistent as heck. Don't know how they sound yet but these make every other pot I have played with including the old ones look and feel like a steaming turd! Way to go el84ster! Though I am SURE you got no useful advice from me you are my hero!

37397789491_34f1dbd657_h.jpg

36688713284_b0471d146e_h.jpg

37140429560_99be2859f3_h.jpg

36688718034_ad0ff38381_h.jpg

thin sissy

WOW! I just got a set of long shaft and short shafts from these guys. They are very expensive ($25 each as opposed to 12 for very good over 500 rated) but man! These are the highest quality pot I have seen by a WIDE margin. The build is superb. Super smooth. One pot was 501K the others were all 510-513! Consistent as heck. Don't know how they sound yet but these make every other pot I have played with including the old ones look and feel like a steaming turd! Way to go el84ster! Though I am SURE you got no useful advice from me you are my hero!

Sweet! Please return back to us with info on sound and "turnability" once you've tried them. :eek:le

zombiwoof

Look like they might be PEC Military Grade Pots.
Al

Triburst

Come on, guys! Big Al, Renderit, etc.

How do they sound?

A friend of mine wants to know. :spabout

renderit

I'm still tryin' to figure out which part to stick in my ear! Hold on!

Actually, I am awaiting several special ordered set of pickups to arrive.

Last edited:

alnico59

Ed, after messing with this forever I've finally settled on DiMarzio branded pots. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is but they have the shaft showing through the bottom of the can and I think Fender has used them in the past or maybe still is. Turn very easy too! I've put them in a couple guitars since getting my '61 ES 345 and they match the old pots in there pretty much to a T. They start making sound right away don't have a number and half of no sound when you first start turning them and they go up gradual with the big bump from 8 to 10. Anyway, $5 or $6 apiece so....

Other than an original R&S pot and wiring in one of mine the other three all have the Dimarzio low-torque vintage style pots. I for one actually prefer the jump from 8 to 10.

TM1

Centralab pots were the ones Gibson used from about 1955 until 1964 when they switched to CTS. They were very clear and hardly changed your tone when turning down the volume control. The Centralab pots combined with the PAF's complimented each other!

duaneflowers

Yep. And it also kills me that not one company has yet replicated those tonal characteristics of the old Centralabs, without the lead (Pb), of course. A modern version, tonally in the same league as the old vintage ones along with the feel, torque, consistency, taper,tolerance, etc.

Just thinking out loud here, but PEC does custom orders and it might be interesting to put a group of interested folks together to order whatever their minimum quantity is built closer to vintage specs (Pb Negative). Might be the start of something nice...

Cream Fan

Just thinking out loud here, but PEC does custom orders and it might be interesting to put a group of interested folks together to order whatever their minimum quantity is built closer to vintage specs (Pb Negative). Might be the start of something nice...

Unfortunately, lead is a part of what makes those old pots unique. It's also why they've lasted for half a century or more. Maybe PEC should be asked if they'll include it on the QT--for a price.

duaneflowers

Unfortunately, lead is a part of what makes those old pots unique. It's also why they've lasted for half a century or more. Maybe PEC should be asked if they'll include it on the QT--for a price.

CTS has factories in China and Taiwan which may be more amenable to producing products manufactured with a lead component. They also create products to customer specs but I'm not sure of how import/export restrictions might come into play...

ScumbackSpeakers

When I had to put pots in my replica, I went with these CTS pots from All Parts. They are easy to turn,
not stiff, and have an identical taper to my old Centralab pots in my other guitars. And they're $6 each.

EP-4386-000 CTS 500K Vintage Style Split Audio Pot
CTS vintage style 500K audio pot. 24 spline split knurled shaft. Includes nut, lock, and dress washer. Threaded bushing height 3/8 inch. Knurled top 0.2 inch tall.

https://www.allparts.com/EP-4386-000-CTS-500K-Vintage-Style-Split-Audio-Pot_p_1426.html

Mr. Papa

When I had to put pots in my replica, I went with these CTS pots from All Parts. They are easy to turn,
not stiff, and have an identical taper to my old Centralab pots in my other guitars. And they're $6 each.
Have you seen these anywhere with a long shaft?

renderit

I might try a pair of these for volume controls, can someone verify for me that these are the long shaft ("long bushing") version that would work for a LP that needs long shaft pots?:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/potentiometer-pec-guitar-500k-audio-long-bushing

Sorry to be dense, I just don't want to mess up and buy the wrong thing as much as these cost.

I will check today for you. I have to find my CTS Long shafts to compare. I gots to clean up my supplies!

renderit

I might try a pair of these for volume controls, can someone verify for me that these are the long shaft ("long bushing") version that would work for a LP that needs long shaft pots?:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/potentiometer-pec-guitar-500k-audio-long-bushing

Sorry to be dense, I just don't want to mess up and buy the wrong thing as much as these cost.

OK, I thought I had some newer CTS Long Shafts. I do not. BUT when I hold these up to a VINTAGE (1953) long shaft pot they are EXACTLY the same length. There should be the same grip washer on your pot in the guitar, so I guess they are pretty exact.

renderit

EP-4386-000 CTS 500K Vintage Style Split Audio Pot
CTS vintage style 500K audio pot. 24 spline split knurled shaft. Includes nut, lock, and dress washer. Threaded bushing height 3/8 inch. Knurled top 0.2 inch tall.

https://www.allparts.com/EP-4386-000-CTS-500K-Vintage-Style-Split-Audio-Pot_p_1426.html

I tried both the long and short versions of these pots and they turn so much smoother than any CTS I have it is amazing. And they are a "precise" easy, not sloppy at all. About half the effort of the CTS. But they sure as hell ain't 6 bucks...

ScumbackSpeakers

Have you seen these anywhere with a long shaft?

Check Allparts.com, maybe they have them there. I don't need the long shaft version.

I tried both the long and short versions of these pots and they turn so much smoother than any CTS I have it is amazing. And they are a "precise" easy, not sloppy at all. About half the effort of the CTS. But they sure as hell ain't 6 bucks...
I think if you buy them in bulk they are cheaper. I just posted the retail price I saw on the site.

EpiLP1985

They aren't very pretty (they are just "custom" spec'd Alphas) but I have purchased a few of the GFS XGP potentiometers and they are reasonably robust, cheap (in price), and available in long and short shaft:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XGP-Cus...A500K-Humbucker-Volume-Our-Best-_p_22999.html

They quote a 60/40 taper and measuring a few seems to indicate more along the lines of 65/35 with a pretty solid +/- 5% tolerance in resistance (475-525) for the sets I've measured.

Obviously people may not be keen on putting products from GFS in their high-end guitars but the taper is nice and the "throw" of the pots is nice and smooth. As with any cheaper pot, it pays to get in and get out from a soldering point of view. I was rusty when I installed the last set and it didn't take long to cook the internals.

I've also had great luck with the Bournes mini pots. Great feel and taper.

The Retrospec pots are great too.

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

I just installed a set of these pots with some NOS Sprague matched BB's , the sweep on these pots is smooth no hot spots . From 1-10 a real gradual climb . You can really dial the tone, IMO the pots really opened up the guitar . The best 100.00 I've ever spent really happy with the result !