• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage ES Owners: What do you prefer for Bridge/Saddles?

Davidos

I have a '64 ES-335... It came with Nylon saddles but they were pretty mangled... I put graphtech ABR saddles on the original bridge and that is what is on there now... I thought the graphtechs were harder and more like the original nylon than the seemingly soft nylon replacement saddles available from allparts, etc.

Wondering about nickel plated brass or trying some original vintage nylon saddles that I would have to re-slot...

What do you prefer?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I tend to like a brighter sound for a few reasons, so the nylon has to go. I prefer good ol' factory saddles and those tend to be brass. I'd probably love some sort of light alloy, but haven't sourced any.

With heavier objects, simple physics says that higher frequencies tend to smaller, weaker vibrations so it's easier for them to attenuated by heavy or soft materials.

1965 stop-tail converted and long guard

long_guard_65.jpg

Guitar Whiskey

I have a ‘61 335 with the stock brass/nickel saddles and had a ‘65 with the stock plastic saddles. I thought both sounded great on the respective guitar but never swapped them to hear the difference between them. I would personally go with what ever the guitar originally came with if you can find them somewhere.

deytookerjaabs

musekatcher

I'm wondering the same thing. I've ordered a brass replacement for my nylon-saddled bridge, I also ordered a roller bridge, that is heavier, but with roller saddles. Haven't tried either yet, because I'm too darn happy with it (65' 330) as it is. I will eventually try them, I'm a curious cat most of the time.

Last edited:

RAB

I've tried just about every saddle out there, new and vintage. I always wind up using vintage milled brass saddles, either nickel or gold plated to match the instrument. The saddles have a bell like tone quality that I really like! Have these on my '59 First Rack ES-345 and on my '62 Epiphone E-360TD Riviera. :hank

Davidos

Ended up putting some original Nylon saddles back on. The spacing is not ideal as I had to make due with the slots that were already on there...

The original nylon saddles cut like bone... very similar.

I did notice a slight harmonic improvement... Need to put on new strings...

First pic is the Tusq saddles
LnbDJyg.jpg

Second pic original nylon saddles.
glEtF66.jpg

deytookerjaabs

Yeah, they cut easy. I have original nylons on an old Gibson ABR that I tried to swap (the ABR came on a floating bridge with my Gretsch!), two of them snapped in half with just a tiny turn of the screw, uhg. Got too brittle over time. Thus, back to plastic.

latestarter

I’m with RAB. Brass sounds best to me, and was how my ‘60 335 came. I have had nylon on a number of later 3xxs and a ‘70 SG and never gelled with the sound. Missing attack - I play reasonably hard.

crashbelt

I have a 59 335 and 60 355 with brass/nickel and a 64 335 and 68 Trini with 'nylon'. All factory I think.

They all sound great in their own ways so I'd never give this question any thought!!

OKGuitar

The original nylon is hard as a rock and they work great but they are brittle and break easily and often. That said, I'm with Roger (RAB)-the milled brass saddles from the 50's are the best-especially the ones with the flat top-not the knife edge. Tusq work pretty well to if you want your 60's 335 to look right but can't find the milled nylon saddles form the era. The nylon ones they sell now are awful.

renderit

Mashed potatoes for saddles. I use gravy for nut sauce. If I run the scales I have dinner. MMMMMmmmmmmm!

marshall1987

A good follow on question and perhaps a bigger issue is....

How do you accurately intonate vintage 1958-1964 ES-3XX bridges, especially with modern light gauge strings? Frequently the G-string saddle does not have enough travel.

It seems many of these vintage thin-line, semi-hollow body ES guitars will not intonate properly with modern light gauge strings. :dang

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
It seems many of these vintage thin-line, semi-hollow body ES guitars will not intonate properly with modern light gauge strings. :dang

With 0.01"-.046" and pretty low action mine works great with flipping the two that need it (G and low E)

long_guard_65.jpg