• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this kid from Greta Van Fleet playing a Vintage SG/Les Paul?

garywright

it's obvious in some vids that the young ladies dig him as is ..personally I think they should keep doing exactly what there're doing

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
it's obvious in some vids that the young ladies dig him as is ..personally I think they should keep doing exactly what there're doing

If that is all they aspire to is to just get laid. Well then they are living the dream. From an artistic stand point, its a dead end. They have real talent but need to develop some roots that go beyond copping a single iconic band whose more relevant now than when they actually existed. The one thing that these guys lack is there is absolutely nothing cutting edge or rebellious in what they're doing. Zeppelin were outsiders, and trailblazers, deeply rooted in various music forms. As is, as sold, Greta Van Fleet is about as important to to the art form as Greta Van Susternan. Thank goodness there are still artists stretching their creative boundaries with inventive new ways in songwriting and production. But the constant rehashing of the same old same old is a death sentence to guitar driven R&R.

But hey...that all goes out the window when ya got a 14 year old suckin your unit in the band van.

garywright

I'll give them this much at least they are writing originals with a classic rock edge and selling out shows

Wizard1183

If that is all they aspire to is to just get laid. Well then they are living the dream. From an artistic stand point, its a dead end. They have real talent but need to develop some roots that go beyond copping a single iconic band whose more relevant now than when they actually existed. The one thing that these guys lack is there is absolutely nothing cutting edge or rebellious in what they're doing. Zeppelin were outsiders, and trailblazers, deeply rooted in various music forms. As is, as sold, Greta Van Fleet is about as important to to the art form as Greta Van Susternan. Thank goodness there are still artists stretching their creative boundaries with inventive new ways in songwriting and production. But the constant rehashing of the same old same old is a death sentence to guitar driven R&R.

But hey...that all goes out the window when ya got a 14 year old suckin your unit in the band van.
I agree. But I think it’s more than just getting laid? However their label will chew em up and spit out quick. So they may as well get it while they can. Give it a cpl yrs. they’ll be around probably but no where near the limelight unless their next album smashes its predecessor....and somehow? I doubt it’ll be. There’s nothing original about them. Sadly! But if this is the type of music that is to come? The future of R&R is already dead.

marshall1987

I see absolutely nothing original with this band whatsoever. :dang

They're nothing more than a "new millennium" teenage power-trio knockoff band who stitch together a bunch of tired old, straight-time, C-D-G, rock cliches from the '70s. The only thing they have in common with the Classic Rock bands from the '70s is long hair, a loud ham-fisted drummer, and the one guy who can't afford to buy shoes.

See how long they continue to sellout the 325 seat theaters............:dang

garywright

Joke reference to just how far will GVF take the hero worship. Did Lori Maddox ever have a daughter? Nah, probably too old anyway!

had to google her name Billy :hee

i167240672_38571_3.jpg

Thundermtn

Even if they're not breaking new ground, getting female fans to go to rock shows is important.

If women don't show up, neither do the guys with the exception of bar fly's and guitar dudes. That will kill rock as fast as anything, being un-cool. I've played enough of those gigs.

The thing is, young people now really have no clue how fun a kick@ss rock show can be, or what the music is like. It can still be new to them even if we can hear where every riff came from. People like to party and when grunge showed up the party left town. That was twenty+ years ago, a bunch of these kids weren't even born yet. Getting people up on their feet having a good time with appeal to a wide audience is better than the slow death that's going on now. Yeah they are breaking through with LZ inspired stuff, that's why they're on the radio and tv. Even so, a rock band breaking through in today land, it's like hell froze over! They'll mature and progress, but making it and having kids at shows having a blast will fuel evolution in the sound.

Wizard1183

Even if they're not breaking new ground, getting female fans to go to rock shows is important.

If women don't show up, neither do the guys with the exception of bar fly's and guitar dudes. That will kill rock as fast as anything, being un-cool. I've played enough of those gigs.

The thing is, young people now really have no clue how fun a kick@ss rock show can be, or what the music is like. It can still be new to them even if we can hear where every riff came from. People like to party and when grunge showed up the party left town. That was twenty+ years ago, a bunch of these kids weren't even born yet. Getting people up on their feet having a good time with appeal to a wide audience is better than the slow death that's going on now. Yeah they are breaking through with LZ inspired stuff, that's why they're on the radio and tv. Even so, a rock band breaking through in today land, it's like hell froze over! They'll mature and progress, but making it and having kids at shows having a blast will fuel evolution in the sound.

Well....hopefully it’ll inspire someone to become the next Kossoff or Peter Green. That’s what we really need. Or a newer Chuck Berry

marshall1987

Why this constant comparison to Led Zeppelin? :dang I don't get it? And I certainly don't hear it!

If this claim had any merit, then where is there a comparable song in the Greta Van Fleet catalog to the seminal Led Zeppelin tune "Dazed and Confused"? Or "Stairway to Heaven'?

Never mind....no need to answer. GVF is not even in the same league. More like the Cowsills or Partridge Family instead.

jimmi

Why this constant comparison to Led Zeppelin? :dang I don't get it? And I certainly don't hear it!

If this claim had any merit, then where is there a comparable song in the Greta Van Fleet catalog to the seminal Led Zeppelin tune "Dazed and Confused"? Or "Stairway to Heaven'?

Never mind....no need to answer. GVF is not even in the same league. More like the Cowsills or Partridge Family instead.
I dont think it was a quality comparison, it was a sound/feel comparison. Surely you can hear vocal similarities to LZ1 and there are very Page like riffs and licks.

I actually am happy a band writing their own music is getting played and notice despite no support. I hope they are just one of the first. Eventually they will develop their own identity.

Wizard1183

When? They're already into their 20's! In the music biz they're close to the over the hill :rofl
These days? That’s true! Lol one hit wonders.

For real bands to come through? It’s usually their 1st or 2nd album that slays. If it takes anymore than that? You’re just milking a dead cow from the start lol :laugh2:

jimmi

These days? That’s true! Lol one hit wonders.

For real bands to come through? It’s usually their 1st or 2nd album that slays. If it takes anymore than that? You’re just milking a dead cow from the start lol :laugh2:
Really? It really doesnt always go that way.

I can think of several bands where the first 1-2 albums might have shown a little promise or were mediocre to poor and then the band came good later or at least that is when their best work was done.

Off the top of my head:

Rush- one OK hit off the self titled debut but 2112 and Moving Pictures were their two great albums.

Kansas-Leftoverture and Point of No Return...

Journey- released several albums without memorable tracks until "Next" when their sound started to jell and had "Wheel in the Sky" and "Lights"

They every chance starting from a decent base to mature and develop.

garywright

nice post

Wizard1183

Really? It really doesnt always go that way.

I can think of several bands where the first 1-2 albums might have shown a little promise or were mediocre to poor and then the band came good later or at least that is when their best work was done.

Off the top of my head:

Rush- one OK hit off the self titled debut but 2112 and Moving Pictures were their two great albums.

Kansas-Leftoverture and Point of No Return...

Journey- released several albums without memorable tracks until "Next" when their sound started to jell and had "Wheel in the Sky" and "Lights"

They every chance starting from a decent base to mature and develop.

youre right. However more often then not? A good band comes out swinging by their 2nd album. At the very least their 1st and 2nd albums were still great!

In the case of GVZ, they have potential. Let’s see how their next cpl albums go. If they’re still sounding like a mediocre LZ. They can hang up their guitars. It’s one thing to be influenced by a band? It’s another to straight off copy them in a crappy style. Their originality is not exactly original when you’re creating songs and singing like your influence. You should have your own style. None of the greats copied their influences to the “T” of sounding like them. Iommi’s biggest influence was Wes Montgomery. You don’t hear Wes in Sabbath, Beatles in Ozzy....or Chuck Berry, Elvis or whomever in other bands. They used their licks ect but created a totally different style.

Pellman73

Led Zeppelin? Not even close. :dang

Since this seems like a direct attack on me (which you seem to like to do) I"ll respond

even though I wrote that comment back in AUGUST it seems you are just now learning about this band

one question- are you deaf?

also, do you realize how stupid you sound when you ask "where is their stairway to heaven"? They are freaking CHILDREN. They are teenagers. they do not have a catalogue. they are basically a cover band doing Zeppelin like stuff. just like Zeppelin was a cover band when they started. and they had Page who was already a very seasoned artist.

so what sounds like zeppelin? listen to the opening of Highway tune. Then listen to Communication breakdown. both songs open with a guitar riff followed by the the lead singer coming in with a YEAAAAA howl (that I believe, actually, is the same exact note-- a B I think). The drummer plays a set like bonham with a big bass drum, stripped down and big sticks like bonham, the lead guitar is a gibson with humbuckers (I'm just saying. when you say "not close" -- they are closer than say... Kraftwerk--- they are closer than most) . they have a 70s look and vibe. so to say " not even close" just seems incredibly dense to me.

who knows if they've got anything else.

so again, since you seemed to direct your seemingly senseless frustration and negativity about this young band who is just trying to make some fun music and make it towards my entirely Positive comment, I"ll engage- because isn't that what trolls want? and try to help you see and hear what it seems like your ears will not allow you to

marshall1987

Since this seems like a direct attack on me (which you seem to like to do) I"ll respond

even though I wrote that comment back in AUGUST it seems you are just now learning about this band

one question- are you deaf?

also, do you realize how stupid you sound when you ask "where is their stairway to heaven"? They are freaking CHILDREN. They are teenagers. they do not have a catalogue. they are basically a cover band doing Zeppelin like stuff. just like Zeppelin was a cover band when they started. and they had Page who was already a very seasoned artist.

so what sounds like zeppelin? listen to the opening of Highway tune. Then listen to Communication breakdown. both songs open with a guitar riff followed by the the lead singer coming in with a YEAAAAA howl (that I believe, actually, is the same exact note-- a B I think). The drummer plays a set like bonham with a big bass drum, stripped down and big sticks like bonham, the lead guitar is a gibson with humbuckers (I'm just saying. when you say "not close" -- they are closer than say... Kraftwerk--- they are closer than most) . they have a 70s look and vibe. so to say " not even close" just seems incredibly dense to me.

who knows if they've got anything else.

so again, since you seemed to direct your seemingly senseless frustration and negativity about this young band who is just trying to make some fun music and make it towards my entirely Positive comment, I"ll engage- because isn't that what trolls want? and try to help you see and hear what it seems like your ears will not allow you to

I don't give a shit about GVF. They mean nothing to me. Same goes with you.

Recommend you seek out a safe space and retreat there immediately. You're profound insecurity is obviously affecting your ability to distinguish between the truth and fantasy. I guess your generation has never had to deal with opposing ideas. Get a grip and grow up. I don't give a shit about GVF. I'm done.