• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NOCD: 67 Marhall Straight Cab!

ScumbackSpeakers

NOCD: 67/68 Marshall Straight Cab!

Bought this off another forum member a few weeks back. Had a few hardware issues, needed new 2BA T-nuts for the baffle board, some new cheesehead 2BA x 1" speaker bolts, new bolts and T-nuts for the metal handles (narrow flange version, pre 1968), and some speakers.

I dug into my pile and decided to go with a mix of two T1234 G12H30's (102/3 75hz Pulsonic cones) on top, and two T1460 G12H30 (102/14 55hz Pulsonic cones) on the bottom, all 8 ohm.

Wired it up with fresh wire, and tested it out with my 71 JMP 50w at about 8 on the volume knob.

Pretty intense tone from these old original H30's, but you'll need to turn down the treble and presence a bit from G12M models as they have more high end and bass to them.

I flogged it for about 30 minutes...yeah, that was fun!

67straightcab71jmp50w.jpg

Last edited:

ScumbackSpeakers

Nice cab, but I doubt it's 67.

Logo is broken, and I believe a replacement. The inside bracing is 67, and it has the narrow flange metal handles, which ended in early 68.

I have a 67 stack here already, and it has the same brace at the bottom of the baffle board as they do, with Nov 67 G12M 20w in the slant.

So it's definitely 67 or early 68, but I only had PUlsonic cone H30's from 1971-74 to put into it, so it's a mutt cab, but it sounds pretty good!

Last edited:

rockinlespaul

Congrats!

F-hole.... I'm pretty sure Jim knows what he has. Probably more than anybody else here.

ScumbackSpeakers

Congrats!

F-hole.... I'm pretty sure Jim knows what he has. Probably more than anybody else here.

Why thank you, rlp! I've got a few quads of old speakers here still in boxes. As I find appropriate cabs I'll scoop them up and fill them in with the ones I have left. Merry Xmas to you!

rockinlespaul

Why thank you, rlp! I've got a few quads of old speakers here still in boxes. As I find appropriate cabs I'll scoop them up and fill them in with the ones I have left. Merry Xmas to you!

We may not be best buds or anything lol, but I gotta give credit where credit is due and I for one, as well as many others here too I'm sure, know that you are a expert at these things and certainly know what your talking about.

I hope you have a wonderful Xmas as well Jim! Enjoy your holidays.

Big Al

I wish I new how to date mine. A cab, no tears, all original parts/speakers minus castors. The tolex is rough on the bottom as a result but this late 60's basketweave cab is in remarkable condition. Sounds great.

ScumbackSpeakers

OK......if you say so. I've no interest in a pissing contest, but that's not from 67.

Not interested in a pissing contest, yet you posted anyway. Over the course of the last 20 years of collecting old basketweave cabs
with metal handles, I've owned about 60 or more of these, but I'm sure I'm not infallible.

Maybe you'd like to provide a few good pics of your 1967 Marshall cabs on the inside and outside, with handle measurements
so I can compare?

corpse

Sometimes I think John needs to get a good definition of the word "moderator".
I think in the interest of true learning if you see something you know is wrong, spare us the drama, and show us the facts John.
I am not taking a cheap shot- you have done this before.

renderit

And he's usually right. As in,,,,I don't remember when he's been wrong? Hey look, I don't take correction well either, but I came to realize that even though I know my 62 VW Beetle inside and out that there are probably a few peeps out there that know more than I.

We are all friends here!

When I get the dimes needed I am getting me some of these Scumbacks™©℞ for a cab of mine. With a name like Scumback™©℞ they gots to be gooder!

ourmaninthenorth

I think in the interest of true learning if you see something you know is wrong, spare us the drama, and show us the facts John.

I didn't realise John was a moderator.

F-Hole

I'm not a moderator, nor do I want to be.

I honestly thought my original post was innocent enough. The cab's just not from 67, it's really that simple. There's no "drama", nor do I want there to be.

I didn't post to piss Scumback off.......I don't know him. Six months here or there on a cab, who really gives a fuck?

F-Hole

Maybe you'd like to provide a few good pics of your 1967 Marshall cabs on the inside and outside, with handle measurements so I can compare?

Given this thread has taken an unintended turn.....some info as requested. I'll refrain from posting comments in future, so as not to offend sensibilities.

Marshall didn't use basketweave grill cloth in 1967. They were still using pinstripe well into 1968 (I have other early 68 pinstripe pieces). Basketweave was introduced mid Q2 1968 (yes, I have some of that too).

Here's a cab that, until today, has never been opened since it left the factory. It came from the original owner, and I have the matching bottom cab. The speaker date codes are all October 1967, and all match. It has the thin side handles. This is what a 1967 cab looks like.

Peace, out.........:salude

Last edited:

ourmaninthenorth

I'm not a moderator, nor do I want to be.

I honestly thought my original post was innocent enough. The cab's just not from 67, it's really that simple. There's no "drama", nor do I want there to be.

I didn't post to piss Scumback off.......I don't know him. Six months here or there on a cab, who really gives a fuck?

Personally I can see me arse about a 6 hour discrepancy..it comes with this turf.

We can all pretend differently, but I think we all know that this stuff matters, it's in the DNA of our thing.

That's my 5000th post...not that I'm counting or anything....

:laugh2::laugh2: