• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Where are they now...

Strings Jr.

My buddy Dennis posing with Rudolf Schenker's double-neck V shortly after it was born.

Where is it now?

I once heard it was on display at the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame.

Can anyone here confirm that?

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

Where's the love for my synth guitars? :dang

I was the sole builder of all the LP's and Explorer's that came with the Roland kits until they finally let me train one other guy.

The Studio Custom was used for the Les Paul version. That's why the Studio Customs have the ABR bridge, and the Studio Standards don't. I had to use an ABR with the adjusting screws facing the tailpiece in order for the GK pickup to fit.

Here's a one off Cherry Sunburst with a nice top.

Where is she now?

Here's a special order black one where the customer requested no covers on the PAF's.

Mr. Billy Gibbons. :hank

Last edited:

Kris Ford

Sweet!

Randy, do you recall when the green keystone keyed, screw in front bushing "Gibson Deluxe" tuners were first used?

Strings Jr.

Sweet!

Randy, do you recall when the green keystone keyed, screw in front bushing "Gibson Deluxe" tuners were first used?

Kris, I can't give you an exact date, but maybe I can help get you close. These LP Synths were built in '85 and those tuners had already been around for a while at that point. My first job when I started in 1977 was installing the tuners. At that time all LP Standards and Deluxes were still getting the old style tuners with the press-in bushings. ( I still have nightmares about the lacquer cracking on the peghead face while pressing those bushings in ) I started assembly in late 1978 and they were still being used at that time. So my best guess for the changeover would be sometime between 1979 and maybe '81 or '82. Hope that helps.

latestarter

Cool thread, thanks... and I gotta say, super styleeee look here!

Scan_20160609_zpsl219zzvg.jpg

Kris Ford

Kris, I can't give you an exact date, but maybe I can help get you close. These LP Synths were built in '85 and those tuners had already been around for a while at that point. My first job when I started in 1977 was installing the tuners. At that time all LP Standards and Deluxes were still getting the old style tuners with the press-in bushings. ( I still have nightmares about the lacquer cracking on the peghead face while pressing those bushings in ) I started assembly in late 1978 and they were still being used at that time. So my best guess for the changeover would be sometime between 1979 and maybe '81 or '82. Hope that helps.

Sweet, thanks Randy!:salude

AXE752

Here's a little Moderne history for you Kris. I built two on November 1st, 1982 then, several each day thereafter. As you can see, numbers A 002 thru A 006, built on November 2nd, were prototypes. I have prototype numbers recorded thru A 018, so maybe safe to say the first 20 were prototypes. My numbers for the A 02X guitars were not prototypes. My records show that we were already into the "E" series numbers by the end of December.

Modernes_zpszt2aqxrb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just out of curiosity, did you work on any of the Heritage Series korina explorers in the ~'84 era?

Thanks
George

Strings Jr.

Just out of curiosity, did you work on any of the Heritage Series korina explorers in the ~'84 era?

Thanks
George

Yes sir!

Here's the first one I have listed in my book (or maybe I should start calling it my "ledger". That word seems to get a lot of attention around here.)

Build #6 for me on September 15th, 1983.

IMG_7879_zps0iq4gb8m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AXE752

Yes sir!

Here's the first one I have listed in my book (or maybe I should start calling it my "ledger". That word seems to get a lot of attention around here.)

Very cool!:jim I have one I bought brand new in Corpus Christi, TX in 1984. Ser # "1 0025" inked on. I still own it. It is one of the ones with the "tulip" type tuners and black knobs, natural Korina, and Shaw pickups. It is a great guitar.

George

Strings Jr.

Yes sir!

Very cool!:jim I have one I bought brand new in Corpus Christi, TX in 1984. Ser # "1 0025" inked on. I still own it. It is one of the ones with the "tulip" type tuners and black knobs, natural Korina, and Shaw pickups. It is a great guitar.

George

Congrats! Those are great guitars. I did a little more research in my book and found more serial numbers that I missed the first time.
The first one I have recorded is 1 0030 built on May 27th, 1983. Very close to yours.

Thanks!!

Strings Jr.

Here's something you don't see every day.

3 pickup Custom with a natural, birdseye top, maple fingerboard, and Ivory tuners.

I built this one on December 31st, 1985.

Come on, who's got it now?

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

This one's for Big Al.

Occasionally, a guitar would come through that was hard to let go of. This was one of those.

LP Deluxe with a nice 2 piece top, in Tobacco Brown Sunburst.

Built mid '85.

Where is she now?

Last edited:

jhmp

one like that sold in Baltimore area a few years ago - I was more than tempted.