• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

76 explorer

Anje

Hi BurstWurst, nope sorry. I don't remember any of my amps having this lettering on the back, and I've never had a FB V.

Luke Gibson

Must be a replacement guard. No '76s came with anything other than white single layer guards, unlike the originals that had laminated ones. Some of the later reissues (the '83 Korina run e.g., came with a black guard.

I never felt the need to upgrade the electronics of the '76 BTW - those tarbacks, whatever they are, sound GREAT in my guitar. Pots work fine, too.

The tarbacks on my guitar sound really good, rolled back a little bit it sounds like The Edge's Explorer, I can almost get a Strat type tone in the middle position too. I'm just curious how a PAF type pickup with old parts will make the guitar sound....

keef

OK - got some measurements. That big neck on my LE is actually not that big at all (maybe a 'full neck' would describe it better, although it certainly feels substantial):

1st fret 7th fret 12th fret
0.843 / 0.943 / 1.000

My 03 R7, with a neck that I would describe as a hollowed out tree trunk:

0.981 (MAN!) / 1.044 / 1.065

Just maybe that whole limited edition '76 thing is crap (that is what I always thought at least...). LE does not indicate a certain type of finish, and likely neither a larger neck than on all non LE's. So the only thing that is 'limited' about the earlier run could be the decals... :hee

Please guys, help me out here and post data on your 1976 Explorers, and maybe another myth gets busted.

BTW: aren't those $10 digital calipers fun - just don't measure your body parts though - you may be disappointed!

Last edited:

Luke Gibson

OK - got some measurements. That big neck on my LE is actually not that big at all (maybe a 'full neck' would describe it better, although it certainly feels substantial):

0.843 / 0.943 / 1.000

My 03 R7, with a neck that I would describe as a hollowed out tree trunk:

0.981 (MAN!) / 1.044 / 1.065

Just maybe that whole limited edition '76 thing is crap (that is what I always thought at least...). LE does not indicate a certain type of finish, and likely neither a larger neck than on all non LE's. So the only thing that is 'limited' about the earlier run could be the decals... :hee

Please guys, help me out here and post data on your 1976 Explorers, and maybe another myth gets busted.

BTW: aren't those $10 digital calipers fun - just don't measure your body parts though - you may be disappointed!

I have a pair at work, I'll measure mine Monday.

keef

I have a pair at work, I'll measure mine Monday.

Great - now if Drybone and sglp63 with their non LE's could find some calipers too....? :peace2

If you look at the list of serial numbers, it seems fair to conclude that the NON limited edition '76 guitars are MUCH rarer than the '76 LE's. :hee :applaude

I also expect that the necks on these instruments (aside from individual variations) will not differ between the LE's and non LE's. But right now that is just a wild guess. I would be happy if I am proved wrong.

Some more speculation - in view of the fiasco of the original Explorers, Gibson may have decided to present their first Explorer reissues to the public cautiously as a limited edition. In this way the company would 1) hopefully stir demand and 2) not lose face if the reissues would not be a success and discontinued quickly - since they were a limited edition to start with.

Maybe they started by printing a fixed number of LE decals, and when demand for the Explorers continued after these decals almost ran out, decided to continue shipping guitars out with the same specs, but with newly made non-LE decals. Sounds like a typical Gibson move...

Last edited:

Jignant

Are there any records that indicate color options, number of units, wood options etc. for these guitars? To my knowlege, there were no 70's Explorers made of Korina. Is this true? I think I have seen Natural, White, Black and Wine Red. I don't remember seeing them in catalogs and I have the old 70s Norlin flyers that were given to dealers to pass around. Marauders, S1's, L6s' and LP Deluxes everywhere but no Explorers. Many years ago, a friend of mine had an LE in Natural. His neck profile was nearly identical to my non LE. I have no calipers to take a measurement.

This thread has sparked my interest in mine again. It will be getting some TLC very soon. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of gigging heavy guitars. This one probably stays at home. I have had it longer than anything else I own...

Luke Gibson

Great - now if Drybone and sglp63 with their non LE's could find some calipers too....? :peace2

If you look at the list of serial numbers, it seems fair to conclude that the NON limited edition '76 guitars are MUCH rarer than the '76 LE's. :hee :applaude

I also expect that the necks on these instruments (aside from individual variations) will not differ between the LE's and non LE's. But right now that is just a wild guess. I would be happy if I am proved wrong.

Some more speculation - in view of the fiasco of the original Explorers, Gibson may have decided to present their first Explorer reissues to the public cautiously as a limited edition. In this way the company would 1) hopefully stir demand and 2) not lose face if the reissues would not be a success and discontinued quickly - since they were a limited edition to start with.

Maybe they started by printing a fixed number of LE decals, and when demand for the Explorers continued after these decals almost ran out, decided to continue shipping guitars out with the same specs, but with newly made non-LE decals. Sounds like a typical Gibson move...

....I forgot, sorry! I'll write myself a not to remember to bring the calipers home tomorrow!

Luke Gibson

OK, I remembered to bring the calipers home. Now how do I measure the neck? Do I need to take the strings off and measure from the back of the neck to the center of the fretboard?

keef

OK, I remembered to bring the calipers home. Now how do I measure the neck? Do I need to take the strings off and measure from the back of the neck to the center of the fretboard?

Yup - I did not take the strings off though, but loosened the first three enough in order to pull them aside (I stuck them behind a 'higher' bridge saddle if that makes sense...).

Good luck! :)

Luke Gibson

OK here's my LE neck measurements:

0.911 / 0.974 / 1.017

Keef, they are actually a little bigger then yours...

Last edited:

keef

OK here's my LE neck measurements:

0.911 / 0.974 / 1.017

Keef, they are actually a little bigger then yours...

Yours is bigger than mine? Yea, right :lol

Thanks! & we want more!