• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Id Gibson Les Paul Custom

rafalynch

Hello, they sell me this Gibson but for the serial number I can't know its year of manufacture. Number: 503179 missing the cover and nut adjusting the soul and the nut is changed. I would be very grateful for your help in identifying the year of manufacture. Thank you and excuse my English

rafalynch

Trans-am, Thank you for your reply, although I doubt it is a Chinese copy. I found a page on the internet where with that serial number it could be 1965/1968.

Shocktop99

CHIBSON!!!:dang

I would not say that. It is a real Gibson looks to be a late 60s early 70's LP due to the missing dot over the "I" and is a good reason why you can't look up the serial number! also knobs correspond with a late 60's early 70 LP a better way to get a correct date ( or close to) would be to date the pots in the control cavity if they are original to the guitar! also check pickups as well!

Trans-Am

Ahahahaha take 'er easy fella's, It's the only way we can get an answer for the OP:peace2

Now were getting somewhere. Will see where this goes as if I can recall? I haven't come across this kind of model if it did really exist.

If you guys know anymore than we might know please share your take and your source. I am interested really.:applaude

I did like the waffle back tuners tho':dude: But the stamped border serial number inside?

Now lets see the insides of the pickups/tenon etc.?:hmm

Big Al

Kalamazoo made early post 70 Custom. Serial # is suspect. I've not seen one like that.

Last edited:

LeonC

I don't recall ever having seen a Les Paul Custom (or any other Gibson?) with an oval around the serial number like that. Anyone else see that done before?

Also, the N in the Gibson logo appears to be way closer to the binding than what I've seen in the past.

It does seem a bit fishy to me. Any shots of the control cavity inards? Or pickup cavities and backs of pickups?

You'll want those if you don't have 'em...

LeonC

All my late 60s Les Paul Customs have had witch hats

AA00475Bassman

I find the truss rod cavity suspect , serial # no go was this purchased from Howard Leese ?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Neck is maple.
I seem to remember a few serial numbers like that, right around the time they used some similar shaped decals.
I thought they were weird, but original. :hmm
I wish I had taken photos, but it was long ago. :##

rafalynch

Thank you very much for your answers, The mast is seen in the cavity of the soul the red color of mahogany, it is not maple. I am confused with the variety of answers, but before making any offer I will disassemble the pickups and electronics cavity to photograph the potentiometers. thank you

Last edited: