• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which new pots most like a vintage centralab?

little tree

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]>> Cream Fan[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]>> TM1[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]If you like[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] you are attached to centralab and it seems to be detailed[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] so I have a question.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]What kind of opinion do you have about centralab manufactured in the seventies?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Do you still have elements that are different from centralab manufactured in 50s and 60s?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]https://www.lespaulforum.com/pots/morepots.html[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]↑ If you look at 70s centralab[/FONT][FONT=&quot]’[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s elements carbon track you can see enough thickness.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]However[/FONT][FONT=&quot],[/FONT][FONT=&quot] although the content of the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]lead[/FONT][FONT=&quot]”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] component is unknown.[/FONT][/FONT]

1LT

Sorry for the late reply but I have been sick for the last 3 weeks:dang. I dunno if anyone will be able to see this picture but I plotted the taper on these VIP pots along with some old Gibson 90's Historic pots. I think you have to click on the picture to enlarge it. It appears that the VIP pots are a two segment linear approximation of an audio taper. It is interesting that the old 90's pots are the reverse of the VIP taper (reverse audio taper). Keep in mind that I'm not saying anything is wrong about either design. I have not yet installed them so I can't comment on how they sound. If anyone would like to post the measurements of your vintage Centralabs or any other type, I can plot them on this comparison chart easily. Just send me the data. I measured them on a Fluke True RMS DMM while they were uninstalled. Don't measure while they are still in circuit, as I'm not sure the results will be consistent or accurate. I was careful not to touch the meter leads because this can change the resistance values. I installed one of the nuts, then the pointer (thumb splitter) and then another nut to lock it in place. Next I positioned the pointer and installed the knob so that pos 0 lined up with the pointer. From there I took readings at each stop.

Here is a good write up on types of pot tapers: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=227724&sid=019d1e51578c91c14deff64b21691a3c

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Cream Fan

That taper is called "Straight-Line Audio Taper" and is exactly what the old Centralabs had. A Really big drop from 10 to 8 and then a gentle slope to Zero. That is what makes the vintage pots so wonderful to use. Your guitar becomes the gain controller. It cleans up abruptly and is still loud. When you want that grind you turn it up and burn. Too many people don't get this, and think they want a smooth taper all the way down. With that you merely end up with the same tone at a lower volume, instead of the versatile tool the Centralabs are. I'm just really pleased someone finally took the time and expense to resurrect these pots.

ChevChelios

So, I take it the tracks are silk-screened? I've heard of some pots being double- and triple-screened for durability and longevity. Is that the case here?

Sorry for the late reply. The carbon track is ink molded on a phenolic resin base. I'm not aware of multiple layers. The VIPots are tested for a rotational life of > 15k rotations. That'll take a bit :peace2

bsteff666

I am a 50's Junior & Special guy. So those old Centralabs are my favorite pots.
Love the taper & the way they react. Love the smooth feel & easy turn. That easy adjustability is for me...essential for getting all the clean to dirty variations on the fly while playing. Stiff pots just don't work for me.

I picked up a set of 4 VIP pots a month or two ago. They all read strong...all ranging somewhere between 535 & 515.

As Chev mentioned...they are meant to feel like the Centralabs when they were new. So they still felt just a little bit too stiff for me.

I opened them up & soaked them in Naphtha. (I believe there is a lubricant inside that to me gums them up a little...I needed to get rid of that)

I also gave them a few spins in my drill.

Now they feel perfect to me. Very much like my old worn in Centralabs. This is just my preference...how I like them to feel.

I've been so busy...but I finally got them wired up into a harness last weekend. Paired them up with some nice old Sprague Vitamin Q caps.

Hopefully I will get the harness into a guitar this weekend.

Mars Hall

I’m very happy to say that the VIpots are the best I’ve ever heard. They achieved the goal of recreating the sound, tone, taper and clarity of the Centralab pots. BRAVO! I installed with Luxe Bumblebee repro caps. I’m totally thrilled!

jbzoso2002

I’m very happy to say that the VIpots are the best I’ve ever heard. They achieved the goal of recreating the sound, tone, taper and clarity of the Centralab pots. BRAVO! I installed with Luxe Bumblebee repro caps. I’m totally thrilled!

Cool Jerry:dude:

As soon as the long shaft ones come out I will buy a set!

Jimmy

ChevChelios

Thanks a lot for the endorsement :dude: I'm glad you like the VIPots as much as I do.

Re. the long shaft pots: ETA for the new delivery is in approx. 12 weeks. I'll put the word out as soon as they are here (and thoroughly tested by myself).

JLee

Do these make a difference in the tone pot spots? Looking to replace the volume pots, but would rather not have to rewire all 4 pots.

Mars Hall

Do these make a difference in the tone pot spots? Looking to replace the volume pots, but would rather not have to rewire all 4 pots.

I considered this myself. However, I’m glad I did all 4. The tones are very useful even on the lowest setting.

ChevChelios

I'm currently out of stock and I'm feeling absolutely humbled by all the great responses I got for the VIPots.

There is a small batch on its way and should arrive in a few days. The next big delivery will be end of May. This one will (hopefully) also include long shaft VIPots :dude:

goldtop0

Put the VIPs in my R8 today and noticed the gradual increase in volume all the way to 6.5 then........ va va voom to 9.5.......... and as I dropped it back gradually........ no loss of tone(didn't go dark).
Can't remember ever having it as good as this.
Will put some older RS pots in my R6 some stage soon and compare the two.
The stock Gibby pots aren't in the race.

doubletone

I don’t have any experience with Centralabs but have tried RS superpots, Hamer pots, and whatever CTS 500K pots that came in my replica. The VIPots are the best. Now I understand what all the hype is about with regards to vintage pots and harnesses. Everything was as advertised at a great price. Congrats on an amazing product! I was pleasantly surprised that they improved the tone controls as well. Easy to solder. Clarity. Easy to turn. Taper is perfect. Highly recommended!

fender69

I don’t have any experience with Centralabs but have tried RS superpots, Hamer pots, and whatever CTS 500K pots that came in my replica. The VIPots are the best. Now I understand what all the hype is about with regards to vintage pots and harnesses. Everything was as advertised at a great price. Congrats on an amazing product! I was pleasantly surprised that they improved the tone controls as well. Easy to solder. Clarity. Easy to turn. Taper is perfect. Highly recommended!

What was the harness setup?

TM1

Sorry for the late reply but I have been sick for the last 3 weeks:dang. I dunno if anyone will be able to see this picture but I plotted the taper on these VIP pots along with some old Gibson 90's Historic pots. I think you have to click on the picture to enlarge it. It appears that the VIP pots are a two segment linear approximation of an audio taper. It is interesting that the old 90's pots are the reverse of the VIP taper (reverse audio taper). Keep in mind that I'm not saying anything is wrong about either design. I have not yet installed them so I can't comment on how they sound. If anyone would like to post the measurements of your vintage Centralabs or any other type, I can plot them on this comparison chart easily. Just send me the data. I measured them on a Fluke True RMS DMM while they were uninstalled. Don't measure while they are still in circuit, as I'm not sure the results will be consistent or accurate. I was careful not to touch the meter leads because this can change the resistance values. I installed one of the nuts, then the pointer (thumb splitter) and then another nut to lock it in place. Next I positioned the pointer and installed the knob so that pos 0 lined up with the pointer. From there I took readings at each stop.

Here is a good write up on types of pot tapers: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=227724&sid=019d1e51578c91c14deff64b21691a3c

View attachment 7396

The comparison is not to 90's pots that Gibson used. It's to the `50's Centralab pots that came stock in all vintage Gibson's. If I had a 90's LP I would probably replace the stock pots before even playing it.
Nice graph though! explains alot about pot tapers

1LT

The comparison is not to 90's pots that Gibson used. It's to the `50's Centralab pots that came stock in all vintage Gibson's. If I had a 90's LP I would probably replace the stock pots before even playing it.
Nice graph though! explains alot about pot tapers

Yes, the '90s pots were junk and that is why I yanked them out. I finally got the Crazyparts "True Vintage Taper" pots in. I've used these before and I like the taper on these. They all read under 500 K but only about 3% so pretty darn good. i wanted to see what it looks like compared to the VIPs and I have updated my graph. Interestingly, the taper on these "TVT" pots looks closer to the plots I've seen for the vintage Centralabs. IMO the VIPs feel smoother and appear to be better quality. Can't wait to do a tone comparison.

Pots_taper2.jpg

Last edited: