• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Inherited this - What do I have here?

thesibleys

Davidos

I was with my father when he purchased this Les Paul Deluxe guitar and Fender amp in a pawn shop in the early '70s. After he passed away, my mom gave to me. Can anyone tell me more about what I have? Not that I would sell it, but would be nice to know if it has any issues or rarities, or needs special insurance as I have no clue on an approximate value.

Thanks,

https://laplacetravel.box.com/s/fzrp7zfdpgvy0c6l887c1gywiz0ke631

https://laplacetravel.box.com/s/5dte5f2553jjmo00krhnwpy6oddrz0wz

Late '60s LP Deluxe... Serial # says '67 but '69 was the first year with mini-humbuckers... Check the pot codes to be sure of the date. First year ('69) LP Deluxes are worth $4,600 - $6,100 according to the VG Guide. Yours looks super clean. I'd say at least $6k.

If it is a '67 I'd say it's pretty rare...

Let us know what the pot codes are!

toxpert

3-piece mahogany neck with wide headstock, mini humbuckers with ‘goof-rings’...late 69 to early 70s.

There were no Les Paul’s Made in 1967. The 1968-early 1969 had 1-piece neck and small headstock.

Looks nice a nice clean guitar that was well-loved and cared after by your dad.

Grog

Your guitar has "Goof Rings" around the mini humbuckers. These were added to hide oversized or sloppy pickup routing. I have never seen a 1969 with goof rings, that doesn't mean that none were produced. Does your guitars neck have a small volute? I see it has no "Made in USA" stamp. It looks like it has the deeper carved top like a '69. Here is a photo of mine for comparison.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
iyRXWExh.jpg
[/FONT]

Reno_1ted

Most likely late 1969.

However, we can tell you more about it if you can share/post:

A picture of the body 'side on' so we can see if its one piece or a three piece 'pancake' body - can you see multiple layers, horizontal lines?
The pot codes - open the back and check for the numbers on any of the metal pots, they should start with 137
A picture of the area where the neck meets the neck - is there a small bump (known as a volute)
A picture of the headstock face/logo.

:hank

thesibleys

Most likely late 1969.

However, we can tell you more about it if you can share/post:

A picture of the body 'side on' so we can see if its one piece or a three piece 'pancake' body - can you see multiple layers, horizontal lines?
The pot codes - open the back and check for the numbers on any of the metal pots, they should start with 137
A picture of the area where the neck meets the neck - is there a small bump (known as a volute)
A picture of the headstock face/logo.

:hank

I've uploaded a bunch of photos to Flickr. Let me know if you can see them and what you can make out. Thanks a ton.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGzevX7

Reno_1ted

http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/middle.asp

Same specs as stated in Moonweasel's latesixtieslespauls site "middle series"

Actually I would say this is a 'late series'. It has the three piece 'pancake body'.

The three piece body places it late 1969 at the earliest, but when you factor in that there is no 'Made in USA', no volute, it has 13769xx pots, and the open font on the logo, I don't think this guitar strays into 1970. So you have a guitar from late on in 1969, and a genuine Late 60s Les Paul - cool guitar.

corpse

Agree- and the color of the body is also "spot-on" for late 60's.

Grog

Agreed. Pretty much same as mine with the exception of the pancake body & Goof Rings.
The pot codes seem to be just a few weeks older than mine.....

mBu9GNOh.jpg
WoTwPQbh.jpg
[/FONT][/FONT]<strike></strike>

MeHereNow

Actually I would say this is a 'late series'. It has the three piece 'pancake body'.

The three piece body places it late 1969 at the earliest, but when you factor in that there is no 'Made in USA', no volute, it has 13769xx pots, and the open font on the logo, I don't think this guitar strays into 1970. So you have a guitar from late on in 1969, and a genuine Late 60s Les Paul - cool guitar.

Because of this:

"NOTE: The earliest pancake body, typically a Later Series feature, I have seen SO FAR is an 88752X Les Paul Deluxe. [EDIT as of 5-2014: The earliest I have now seen is a 88750X guitar. It has NO VOLUTE and an open 'b' and 'o' logo. Thank you Hector B. for your email and pictures!]"

on the "middle series" under "stats & info" section on the left of thepage, and the fact the OP's guitar has pots dated 34th week of 69, i keep with my first assumption.
[h=1][/h]

Grog

Wow, those pots were a nasty mess. Chaulky like an exploded battery. What causes that and should I just leave them alone or they be delicately cleaned? If so, with what?

I would leave them original, they've survived that way for over 50 years. I think the corrosion is from the flux that was used at the time the electronics was soldered.

zombiwoof

What's with the extra holes above the bridge?. Looks like it has been re-located. why would that be?. Better intonation?.
Al

toxpert

Wow, those pots were a nasty mess. Chaulky like an exploded battery. What causes that and should I just leave them alone or they be delicately cleaned? If so, with what?

That’s called patina....natural aging that helps confirm originality. You should not clean the residue from the pots...it does not affect the function.
Cheers,
Mac

latestarter

What's with the extra holes above the bridge?. Looks like it has been re-located. why would that be?. Better intonation?.
Al

Wondered the same thing. I had to do that to my 381 Ricky...they located the bridge in the wrong place. I've seen other Gibson where that's an issue also.

Reno_1ted

Because of this:

"NOTE: The earliest pancake body, typically a Later Series feature, I have seen SO FAR is an 88752X Les Paul Deluxe. [EDIT as of 5-2014: The earliest I have now seen is a 88750X guitar. It has NO VOLUTE and an open 'b' and 'o' logo. Thank you Hector B. for your email and pictures!]"

on the "middle series" under "stats & info" section on the left of thepage, and the fact the OP's guitar has pots dated 34th week of 69, i keep with my first assumption.

That shits the later series earlier, not the middle series later. The later series is characterised by the introduction of the pancake body.

Middle Series: "Although the tenon route is changed, the remaining features are identical to early 69 bodies. In essence, they are still pre-genuine-pancake bodies."

In terms of dating the guitar its a bit of a moot point. In terms of value of the guitar, it's everything.

Reno_1ted

Don't clean the outside of those pots ! Leave them as is. :salude

if you are struggling to see a pot code, you can just give it a wipe with a damp finger.