• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Big Al Good Mojo thread

Big Al

Going in for my "makeover" May 9. Can't wait 'til it is over. My arm and shoulder are killin' me, literally. Probably be gone for awhile, as post op therapy and treatment will be intense.

Until then, play yer freakin' guitars. Play with your pals. Go to a local open mic nite and sit in. Stop obsessing over 50's bursts and trying to transmogrify your perfectly fine guitars into something they can never be. There is way too much Barbie doll mentality around here and it is getting to be ridiculous.

Spend yer dough making your axe play and sound better and quit freakin' out over cosmetic bullshit that some of you are fixated on because you've seen some picture in a book, somewhere. There are so many fine and wonderful guitars that are not Bursts or some cosmetic clone. I swear the cork sniffin' anal wannabe self appointed fashion gurus make me want to play Fenders only.

Get back to the FUN!!! Make your own statement and enjoy what you enjoy. Quit asking for a group hug with every decision. Jeez!! "What color should I paint my guitar?", "What color bobbins? or should I leave the covers on?", "Is this tailpiece OK, fellas?", "Do these knobs look the right shade?", "Are my inlays OK, or should I replace them?" " Hey! Does this top look authentic enough?" "Do these pickups make my butt look big?"WTF!! WTF! WTF!!!

Yeah, I am in pain, I am tired and scared, and my mood sucks right now, I know I am a miserable bastard but all this crap I have been reading isn't helping my mood at all.

Just enjoy these great guitars you have, play some music and have FUN.

chuckNC

Double blacks are slimming, double whites add 10 pounds. Zebras are generally slimming unless you point your headstock toward the ceiling. Basic stuff really, pretty well known. Maybe we need a sticky.

tonyj

Going in for my "makeover" May 9. Can't wait 'til it is over. My arm and shoulder are killin' me, literally. Probably be gone for awhile, as post op therapy and treatment will be intense.

Until then, play yer freakin' guitars. Play with your pals. Go to a local open mic nite and sit in. Stop obsessing over 50's bursts and trying to transmogrify your perfectly fine guitars into something they can never be. There is way too much Barbie doll mentality around here and it is getting to be ridiculous.

Spend yer dough making your axe play and sound better and quit freakin' out over cosmetic bullshit that some of you are fixated on because you've seen some picture in a book, somewhere. There are so many fine and wonderful guitars that are not Bursts or some cosmetic clone. I swear the cork sniffin' anal wannabe self appointed fashion gurus make me want to play Fenders only.

Get back to the FUN!!! Make your own statement and enjoy what you enjoy. Quit asking for a group hug with every decision. Jeez!! "What color should I paint my guitar?", "What color bobbins? or should I leave the covers on?", "Is this tailpiece OK, fellas?", "Do these knobs look the right shade?", "Are my inlays OK, or should I replace them?" " Hey! Does this top look authentic enough?" "Do these pickups make my butt look big?"WTF!! WTF! WTF!!!

Yeah, I am in pain, I am tired and scared, and my mood sucks right now, I know I am a miserable bastard but all this crap I have been reading isn't helping my mood at all.

Best wishes Big Fella!

Great post Al. You really make this Sunburst Pub the place to drop in. No self promoting pomposity in here - that's all in the other place. You want to touch base with reality? Then here's where it can be found.

You sum up exactly, in words that lie just beyond my reach, those self same feelings. Guitars especially. They represent a cameo of life itself. There is good and there is bad. There is also beauty, but the nauseating, narcissistic crap that flows freely from time to time elsewhere, is exactly that - nauseating. So much that means so little, other to themselves and a few boot lickers ....

I could go on, but no need to - you've said it all ....... and, oh so brilliantly.

We don't know each other. I've never had the pleasure. However, along with so many other of your friends and admirers , both new and old, we are with you on your journey. Be strong my friend.

59LPjr21.jpg

Beano Geno

One of the best posts ever on the LPF.....Right On Big Al!! :3zone

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
In the meantime, here's one that you haven't seen yet. I made this bad girl in my home woodshop in 2008.
myomk2008.jpg

Big Al

Thanks Big Al.

No, thank you. It absolutely made my day to see a Recording model. GREAT GUITARS!!!! Steven, beautiful guitars. Now take some advise I gave you years ago, GET A GREAT AMP!! Did you buy the Deluxe?

MikeSlub

Administrator
No, thank you. It absolutely made my day to see a Recording model. GREAT GUITARS!!!! Steven, beautiful guitars. Now take some advise I gave you years ago, GET A GREAT AMP!! Did you buy the Deluxe?

Hang in there, Al! Prayers and good karma flowing your way for a successful truss rod change! Peace to you! :dude:

I was lucky enough to be invited to dinner with Joe Bonamassa and friends on Monday before his gig in Denver on Tuesday, and we talked about you. He really enjoyed meeting you at the gig in New York and thought you were a great guy! :dude:

moonweasel

Best post ever, Al.

Be strong!!!

ourmaninthenorth

Good Luck with this thing Al, sending you all the best from England. :salude

Paul.

Cliff Gress

I wish you the best too Big Al. I worked with some pediatric oncology staff during my years at a major west michigan hospital. Dedicated, caring and damn good at what they do. I hope your caregivers are at their level.

Peace

Big Al

I wish you the best too Big Al. I worked with some pediatric oncology staff during my years at a major west michigan hospital. Dedicated, caring and damn good at what they do. I hope your caregivers are at their level.

Peace

Funny about that. With all I have been through, it was seeing little kids with Cancer that just tore me up. When undergoing Chemo and some other therapeutic torture sessions, I saw lots of children battling this awful thing. I would endure all of it if I had the power to spare them any of it. These kids and the amazing people that work with them are stronger and more loving than I could ever hope to be. Nothing I have gone through compares to what these children face, and it breaks my heart.

Black58

Only "vanity" changes to any of my Historics were, in the early days, the knobs, to regular Gibson-issue bells; That dark shit was fuckin' terrible! :wah ... an' on my '09 R8, the switchnut an' switchtip; The stock 'nut had a "flat deck" on top that glared at a LOT of angles and was generally incorrect fer late '50s Lesters. The switchtip is half vanity, half tribute: I like a white switchtip on a darkburst ... an' I filed it down, stubby, ala Mr. Peter Green. :biggrin:

:jim