• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Joe Bonamassa Epiphone Amos Signature model?

Stevie C.

Interesting.

Now I have to take mine apart. Thought I was seeing a veneer now I'm not sure . . . maybe it's the poly topcoat that makes it look like a veneer . . Thanks for posting those pics!!
Yup, I think that's the case too.. You can clearly see when looking at it in person where the grain runs right over the router edge on the sides. I can't imagine anyone would take that much time matching up a veneer like that..
Like I said before, it doesn't bother me either way. But I am sitting here with the thing in my hand, looking at it with magnification, and I see no sign of veneer at all.. YMMV:dude:

Stevie C.

But good God, I can't get these friggin' puke green tuner knobs off!!!! I've put a ton of heat to them, and they won't let go! Must be epoxy? Any suggestions, aside from replacing the whole tuning set? They seem nice other than the knobs.. Thanks

deytookerjaabs

Wait a sec, is that a proper V extended uber tenon going under a veneer between the pickups?

Stevie C.

Finally got the tuner knobs off... The soldering iron I was using didn't go high enough to break free the epoxy of whatever was hold them on...
Looks way better now!!

Thundermtn

Did you name it "The Beast"? I can't recall ever seeing that # on a headstock before, or are they 5's?

zombiwoof

What is "blackwood" anyway?. I have seen that before and wondered.
Al

I was pretty worried about what the Blackwood fretboard was going to look like in person, but I gotta say I love it!
Not only is it nice and smooth, it has a lot of dark brown in it too!
Not a lot different in color from my R8! :dude:

Stevie C.

Uh, think about that for a minute.....
I think it must be just a thin sliver at the tail end of the tenon.. When you look at the upper end of the bridge pickup, you can see the seam going all the way to the top, so I don't see what else explains it?

Stevie C.

What is "blackwood" anyway?. I have seen that before and wondered.
Al
Found this on LMII (Luthier Mercantile)

"African Blackwood (a member of the Rosewood family, Dalbergia) has long been recognized by classical guitar builders as the "holy grail" of tonewoods. With a strong responsive taptone that surpasses even Brazilian Rosewood, it can contribute great volume, power and brilliance to a guitar."

Never would have guessed this, but pretty cool! :dude:

AA00475Bassman

If you see vertical tenon lines in the front cavity you would see these on the top, really looks veneer IMO .

AA00475Bassman

I truly believe Steve you have a fine guitar , really so what if a veneer is present seems to be done very well. My EPI V of years ago did not hold a candle to the Amos . Enjoy your V the thing looks beautiful !

Stevie C.

I truly believe Steve you have a fine guitar , really so what if a veneer is present seems to be done very well. My EPI V of years ago did not hold a candle to the Amos . Enjoy your V the thing looks beautiful !
Thanks Dude! Just got my Amos pickups installed yesterday too. Sounds awesome! (Stock pickups sounds great too, but much different.) Lots more Growl now!

aFriendbFrosty

A bit late replying, but it was mostly due to waiting on a replacement. Sweetwater was able to get one to me at the beginning of the month.
Sound great, plays well and it's not damaged... yay!

Though, it looks like I'm destined to have a dirty crotch "V":).
This new one has a subtle streak of black near the center seam; nowhere near as obvious as my first one but it's there.
uqgtAan.jpg
fxKZ9Rc.jpg
x6CwRfk.jpg

Uncle Gary

But good God, I can't get these friggin' puke green tuner knobs off!!!! I've put a ton of heat to them, and they won't let go! Must be epoxy? Any suggestions, aside from replacing the whole tuning set? They seem nice other than the knobs.. Thanks

I just replaced the tuners with a set of "Golden Age" Kluson replicas from Stewart MacDonald. Price was great and they fit the Epiphone bushings. The Buttons are a nice creamy color.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...e_Keystone-style_3_and_3_Tuning_Machines.html

For that price, it wasn't worth trying to remove the knobs from the stock tuners to me.

Uncle Gary

Found this on LMII (Luthier Mercantile)

"African Blackwood (a member of the Rosewood family, Dalbergia) has long been recognized by classical guitar builders as the "holy grail" of tonewoods. With a strong responsive taptone that surpasses even Brazilian Rosewood, it can contribute great volume, power and brilliance to a guitar."

Never would have guessed this, but pretty cool! :dude:

Mine looks surprisingly like Brazilian rosewood.

Stevie C.

I just replaced the tuners with a set of "Golden Age" Kluson replicas from Stewart MacDonald. Price was great and they fit the Epiphone bushings. The Buttons are a nice creamy color.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...e_Keystone-style_3_and_3_Tuning_Machines.html

For that price, it wasn't worth trying to remove the knobs from the stock tuners to me.

Yup,I don't blame you one bit. They were a total pain to get them off there, but it looks so much better now!