• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eric Clapton -life in 12 Bars

The Shifter

Bobby's brother Nate(aka Nat the Rat) used to hang around the vintage guitar store where I worked in the 90s. He was a very colorful character.:laugh2:

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Edward James Olmos (Battlestar Galactica, Miami Vice) sang on Eric's solo album.

No way -- Castillo was suppressing Chinese heroin imports into Cambodia with the DEA back in 1970.
smiley_emoticon.gif

Xpensive Wino

Bobby's brother Nate(aka Nat the Rat) used to hang around the vintage guitar store where I worked in the 90s. He was a very colorful character.:laugh2:

I've met enough "relatives of famous musos" to know exactly what you mean. :hee

bern1

Google “Eric Clapton’s AA speech,” it’s on the internet on a recovery website. He tells a great story about what it was like, what happened, and what it’s like now.:jim

Thanks for pointing to that Charlie, just listened to it.

Larry Otis

This is a brave, unflinching, painfully honest self evaluation made public by one of the most influential musicians of our time. I applaud Mr. Clapton. For making public the truth. You can have it all and have less than nothing at the same time and survive to be a normal functional human father, husband, son, friend, guitar player and singer songwriter of the highest caliber. Bravo old friend!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
This is a brave, unflinching, painfully honest self evaluation made public by one of the most influential musicians of our time. I applaud Mr. Clapton. For making public the truth. You can have it all and have less than nothing at the same time and survive to be a normal functional human father, husband, son, friend, guitar player and singer songwriter of the highest caliber. Bravo old friend!

Stealth post? :wah

renderit

Easter egged. It's there you just have to outline it with yer rodent.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass

Or I can quote it and change the color.

Xpensive Wino

I guess it was removed, it worked up until a couple of days ago.

That's what happens when people post copyrighted material on YouTube & the rights owner/creator finds out about it. :rolleyes

Pay the money and watch it on NetFlix, people, FFS.

Piracy is wrong.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Yes, stealth post. The text color is set to black. Select the text to see it.

I saw that, and was able to read it when I hit "quote".

But my questioned was about the "why", not what he wrote.
Why would anyone write a post and then color it so it is virtually invisible. :bigal

Redhod

I saw it last week and it's been haunting me ever since. It's like having shadows of Clapton in the next room.
He's always struck me as a sharp, perceptive guy and I've always hoped to see an interviewer take him to places besides the obvious stations in his life. Still, his honesty in this self-portrait was just riveting.

First, dealing with mother's treachery. And how hard it hit him and how deep the marks were on his soul. While watching this doc I was simultaneously thinking about a couple of friends who, even in their 60s, can't shake some kind of parental betrayal. It's not every musician's doc that takes you to these places. Tough stuff. The man had hurts.

I don't recall a line that tied his mother's hurts with that defining characteristic of his early life, but I couldn't help but dimestore-psychoanalyizing it all: He'd walk out on you with a moment's notice. It happened with his first teen band, then the Yardbirds, then John Mayall. I think it was one of Mayall's bandmates who found out reading the paper that Clapton was off to start Cream. In the paper! Later he'd walk on Blind Faith.

There were lots of personal stories that were omitted or eased over. So it wasn't like the definitive word but that would have required another hour or so. And if there were another hour, I'd have preferred to hear music. Hey! They talked over the finale of the guitar solo from "I Feel Free"! Sacrilege.

DrumBob

I watched Life In 12 Bars and found it lacking. Too much time was spent on his addictions, not enough time on Patti Boyd and his relationship with George Harrison, and way too much time on the loss of his son. I had a very hard time getting through that without tearing up. They didn't spend enough time on his wife and family today, and they glossed right over Duane Allman and Stevie Ray's deaths.

Sorry, it just didn't impress me.

Grog

I bought a copy off of eBay & thought it was done pretty well, but there was quite a bit missing. A review in the current VG points that out also.

57gold

Made the mistake of reading his book...a bunch of whining. No musical insights.

Should have just listened to the music.

The Shifter

I've watched this a bunch of times now.

Overall I still mostly like it.

I still find it strange that there is no mention of his first solo album. If it was him just parroting Delany's ideas, I would like to have heard him or someone talk about that.

What really has started to get under my skin though is how they use footage to either simulate a "recording session" i.e. "Gently Weeps" cutting scenes from Let It Be in with footage from the Stones' R&R Circus, or to supposedly convey some sort of emotion. I'm pretty sure the footage they looped in slomo when he was talking about how Layla failed to win over Patti was from the Hendrix doc from 1973. Well after the fact of all that. I don't know. It just felt fake and like I was being manipulated.:spabout

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
What really has started to get under my skin though is how they use footage to either simulate a "recording session" i.e. "Gently Weeps" cutting scenes from Let It Be in with footage from the Stones' R&R Circus, or to supposedly convey some sort of emotion. I'm pretty sure the footage they looped in slomo when he was talking about how Layla failed to win over Patti was from the Hendrix doc from 1973. Well after the fact of all that. I don't know. It just felt fake and like I was being manipulated.:spabout

That’s pretty common with documentaries; there’s only so much footage of a specific event, and if you know what you’re looking at, you can often spot where footage that’s not from the event being discussed by the narrator was dropped in. I’ve seen NFL Films’ play-by-play recreations of big games, and have spotted shots dropped in that I know weren’t from that game, because the producers wanted say, a reaction shot of the fans, or the head coach, or whatever after a big play. I think that as long as you’re not lying about the events in question, that sort of thing is fair game for a documentary.

The late Michael Crichton had a riff he called The Gell-Man Amnesia Effect:

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”

Naturally, we’re going to be far more aware of this sort of thing in a music documentary than the average viewer.