• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1971 54/58 reissue

RE301

Here's mine. I paid $1,400 for it back in 2003. When I got it, it had undergone a refret and had the nut/tuners/bridge changed. Also, the goof rings were missing. It's currently sporting a set of '71 mini humbuckers. Weighs in at 9 pounds. It took a few years, but it's become one of my "more played" guitars.
lp55.jpg

posulliv

Pot codes date to 1972. Bridge is replacement. Flash photos make it look more clownish than it is. Weighs in at 9-7 5/8 on kitchen scale.

Great sounding and playing guitar.

5458front.jpg

5458back.jpg

5458cavity.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
These were well known in the 70s.
I prefer the t-o-m version. I had two GTs and one sunburst with the t-o-m. :)

H

Heritage69

Looked at pot codes on this one 42nd week of 71 ,probably a 72 being so late in the year. serial# 680XXX and over 11lbs.
Does anybody think that this pot code dates to 1971 or 1972. I am not sure

CutieJones

10 weeks is plenty of time to get from the pot manufacturer to being used up from Gibsons parts stock. Output was very high in the early 70s.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Does anybody think that this pot code dates to 1971 or 1972. I am not sure

It is very possibly from 1971, although the only chance to narrow this down is if it was in the shipping records as going out in 1971, I think.
Either way, it is what it is. :salude

neuroy

Another forum brother already "bought" it and sent it back !!! Can´t find the thread right now.
It´s on the heavy side , it´s a second and it´s not sure if the finish is original !!! Any opinions ?

macg1

How about this for a zombie thread?! I just picked one of these 54/58 71 LPs from my enabler of tone, Kent Sonnenberg at Replay Guitar Exchange. I have wanted one forever and finally came across one. I don't buy guitars I cannot play first so that was always a snag. The moment I played it I knew I had to have it. Nice fat neck, killer P90s, aging from actual playing, and it weighs just about as much as my 2002 Firebird VII (with steinberger tuners for less weight). It is threading the 9 lbs line pretty close.

3MVph
3MVph
3MVph
https://imgur.com/a/3MVph

Last edited:

britbender

How about this for a zombie thread?! I just picked one of these 54/58 71 LPs from my enabler of tone, Kent Sonnenberg at Replay Guitar Exchange. I have wanted one forever and finally came across one. I don't buy guitars I cannot play first so that was always a snag. The moment I played it I knew I had to have it. Nice fat neck, killer P90s, aging from actual playing, and it weighs just about as much as my 2002 Firebird VII (with steinberger tuners for less weight). It is threading the 9 lbs line pretty close.

3MVph
3MVph
3MVph
https://imgur.com/a/3MVph

Wow !!
Congrats :)

macg1

Wow !!
Congrats :)

Thank you! Yeah what a great guitar. I haven't had a P90 loaded guitar in a long while and the last one I had was a 65 Firebird I that I just didn't gel with. This one is definitely on the unicorn scale for me.

Dicko845

I've had a 68 and now have a 72 58 standard.for me it's a better guitar.similar weight better neck,more historically accurate o a 50s guitar.
ive seen 68 s for sale at well over 10k recently.which must make these 58s a real bargain!!!and a great investment.if you can find one buy it!!!!!

Big Al

I disagree with most of the, ahem, .. hyperbole and flippity flappery associated with these. NOT old wood or made from a secret stash of 50' wood.
NOT made from leftover bodies, necks or any parts/hardware.
NOT an accurate replica or build, but very good for early 70's.
NOT a better sounding or playing Les Paul than other 71-73 LPs, pickups and bridge aside.

They were cool back then. We bought them, dug 'em and moved on. Clean, 100% original examples are very collectible and sought after. But, modified or non original examples, or beat up so called "player grade" that have, IMO over inflated prices and esteem? NOT hardly.

WHY? What do you gain? Outside of Mike Campbell, I can't think of anyone who regularly uses one. Outside clean collectibles, why bother when the Historics are better, more accurate reissues, more reasonable weight on average and less than half the price? Even at the same price, why? It makes little sense. And no way are they better than CMI 68's.

Last edited:

Wyffa

I've had a 68 and now have a 72 58 standard.for me it's a better guitar.similar weight better neck,more historically accurate o a 50s guitar.
ive seen 68 s for sale at well over 10k recently.which must make these 58s a real bargain!!!and a great investment.if you can find one buy it!!!!!
Dicko,
Does this guitar have right headstock angle? right tenon joint?

NOT an accurate replica or build, but very good for early 70's.
Big Al,
What is not accurate about them?

Big Al

Dicko,
Does this guitar have right headstock angle? right tenon joint?

Big Al,
What is not accurate about them?

From memory, incorrect headstock pitch, logo, inlay, phenolic veneer, truss cover, taper, neck pitch and tenon. Dome arch, no dish carve; body edge radius, plastics , inlays, goof rings [some], chrome hardware, body channel routs and additional crossband maple sandwich between top and body.

I'm sure there is stuff I forgot but that is a significant list. Especially if the aim is to get an accuracy 54 Reissue. They are good guitars just not good reissues. Not when great new and near mint used vastly better Historics are availble.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Right. These early 70s guitars are just like the other early 70s guitars in build and materials. If you want Tune-O-matic model, the price premium is not worth it at all. A Deluxe from that era will get you all the same mojo (or lack thereof).

If you want vintage feel/weight/construction, the 1968 is the only real choice. The 54/58 reissue has too much wrong with it, as Big Al listed. It's just another Early 70s Les Paul that was available with a stop tail and P90s.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Right. These early 70s guitars are just like the other early 70s guitars in build and materials. If you want Tune-O-matic model, the price premium is not worth it at all. A Deluxe from that era will get you all the same mojo (or lack thereof).

If you want vintage feel/weight/construction, the 1968 is the only real choice. The 54/58 reissue has too much wrong with it, as Big Al listed. It's just another Early 70s Les Paul that was available with a stop tail and P90s.

These are built different from other 70s Les Pauls.
And some did come with t-o-m's.

Progrocker111

These are built different from other 70s Les Pauls.
And some did come with t-o-m's.

Only difference is missing middle sandwich plate (the one just under maple top is still present) and one piece necks instead of three. None of this has significant tone influence.