• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone know anything about this model 1993 Classic?

Neal

A friend bought this Les Paul Classic used at GC about 8 years ago. He knows little about it, except it may be missing the original truss rod cover with the 'number x of xxx' on it. Supposedly, it's one of a limited edition run. Anyone? Thanks ahead.

93LPClassicMahogany_3.jpg

93LPClassicMahogany_6.jpg

93LPMahogany_9.jpg

93LPClassicMahogany_4-1.jpg

Last edited:

Classic71

I assume it's not mentioned in Mike Slub's article? It's been a long time since I read it. Obviously, it looks like a mahogany top, would be more interesting if it was a one piece mahogany build. Maybe just an LP Custom body with P90's, to make a "limited edition" model. Have you a pic of the back of the headstock, or of any of the cavities? Obviously it's an early Classic (LP Model on headstock) which is good, although I'm wondering why you think it's a Classic in the first place?

Anyway, enough rambling - a call to Gibson with the serial number will tell you the story!

58Lover

I had #116. Two piece top. Even tho yours has the snot green inlay, it's not a Classic. I added gold hardware. Funny story goes with.
photo.php

Last edited:

Neal

Classic71...Mike Slub's article?? Can you point me to it?

Kris Ford

is it me or does that Les Paul Model decal look like its on top of the lacquer on the headstock? Like the one that said Les Paul Classic was replaced?

58Lover

is it me or does that Les Paul Model decal look like its on top of the lacquer on the headstock? Like the one that said Les Paul Classic was replaced?

If you go back and read my post... this is NOT a Classic.

In late '94 (IIRC), a one piece top prototype was made to show at the upcoming NAMM Show. Being at the Sales meeting that week, when I saw it, I was pretty knocked out by it and suggested to the GM of USA at that time (Richard Head) that it should be considered as a limited run... and may I please buy this one???

Well, I did not get it (damn, because the one pc. top was a beauty), but when it did come out, it was changed to a 2 pc. top. I loved mine but had to sell it about 8 years ago. As I said, I changed hardware to gold (even the pole pieces).

The run was for 200 pieces. I would not be surprised if the majority made it to Japan.

l.jpg

Here's one that's on Ebay now... going for a lot more than I sold mine for...(dammit)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Gibson-Les-Paul-Limited-Edition-32-200-Made-All-Mahogany-NICE-/390359604784?pt=Guitar&hash=item5ae33ede30

Last edited:

Neal

58Lover - Both my friends guitar and the one on ebay have ser#'s that start with 3. Could it be the meeting you attended was back in late '93? This guitar has ser# 3 48XX and the one on ebay is 3 5340. Maybe the pic doesn't show it, but my friends guitar has a 1-pc top. This week, I'm going to pull the neck pu to ck the tenon and ink stamps in the cavity.

Kris Ford

If you go back and read my post... this is NOT a Classic.

In late '94 (IIRC), a one piece top prototype was made to show at the upcoming NAMM Show. Being at the Sales meeting that week, when I saw it, I was pretty knocked out by it and suggested to the GM of USA at that time (Richard Head) that it should be considered as a limited run... and may I please buy this one???

Well, I did not get it (damn, because the one pc. top was a beauty), but when it did come out, it was changed to a 2 pc. top. I loved mine but had to sell it about 8 years ago. As I said, I changed hardware to gold (even the pole pieces).

The run was for 200 pieces. I would not be surprised if the majority made it to Japan.

l.jpg

Here's one that's on Ebay now... going for a lot more than I sold mine for...(dammit)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Gibson-Les-Paul-Limited-Edition-32-200-Made-All-Mahogany-NICE-/390359604784?pt=Guitar&hash=item5ae33ede30

Gotcha...I was just thinking the decal on the headstock looked off...normally you don't see the edge of the decal as it is buried under lacquer...

58Lover

Gotcha. It's the flash from directly in front that does that.

58Lover

58Lover - Both my friends guitar and the one on ebay have ser#'s that start with 3. Could it be the meeting you attended was back in late '93? This guitar has ser# 3 48XX and the one on ebay is 3 5340. Maybe the pic doesn't show it, but my friends guitar has a 1-pc top. This week, I'm going to pull the neck pu to ck the tenon and ink stamps in the cavity.

If it didn't come with a TRC like mine, it could be the proto. In which case I'm incredibly jealous.

Pretty sure it was '94 tho.

Neal

If it didn't come with a TRC like mine, it could be the proto. In which case I'm incredibly jealous.

Pretty sure it was '94 tho.

58Lover....then I don't understand why the serial # starts with a 3.

Would you know of a way to identify this LP...with or without the serial#?

58Lover

Sadly, no. It's been a bunch of years since I worked there, even more since those days....

But if it's a real one pc. top, I would wonder if it is the proto, as all production models came with a 2 pc. top.

As to serial #'s.... can't tell ya. When I saw the proto, it was in Oct. of the year preceding the Jan. NAMM Show that the production models came out. It was during the quarterly sales meetings that was held prior. As I started in '91, I think it was at least Oct. '93 or '94 that I saw the proto.

EeeTee

...But if it's a real one pc. top, I would wonder if it is the proto, as all production models came with a 2 pc. top

I now own this guitar and today was shocked to find serial #3 5531 on reverb- also a 1 piece top, so the only indication of prototypicality is the blank TRC.. Sadly, having contacted Gibson, no dice were yielded.. Either way, thanks to all you previous owners for keeping her in mint condition for me! She's been around the globe once and accrued a few dings from the baggage vandals in the last 4 years, but I strung her with tension balanced, all wound baritone strings- so even if not a prototype it's still one of a kind! ;)

Last edited:

El Gringo

I own a 1994 Les Paul Classic and I was wondering what kind of tenon it has ? If I had to venture a guess I think I would say a short tenon ?

Trans-Am

......which would you fella's opt for when it comes to badges for these great Classic models?

Precursor original is = Model then Classic later.

Last edited: