• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Jimmy Page telecaster from Fender

Jeff West

I would assume it was the one in "Blow Up", which is a slab board blonde Tele. That scene was filmed mid-October '66.

Tonebender

Aside from the obvious cool factor of this guitar being issued is the part of the article that says the original body was restored after Page's idiot friend "refinished it." Who knows if that part of the article is accurate or not?

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
The new Page Teles sound very cool -- I'm only sorry that Fender didn't also announced they'd be building replicas of his brown stringbender Tele as well, given how prominent a role that guitar played in the last few years of Zeppelin, the ARMS concerts, and the Firm.

Ed A

What we know for sure is that he has kept the body all of these years. And in multiple interviews he mentioned that when the guy repainted it without his permission he screwed up the bridge pickup. One thing that doesn’t jive with dates is Page said he went out on tour In 69 and came back and found the guitar not working. We know that in late 70 or early 71 he used the guitar and the bridge pickup for the stairway solo and rock ‘n’ roll solo. So it sounds like this friend didn’t do this to the guitar until obviously after those recordings. One recent article has Page saying that when putting together the new zeppelin photo book and seeing all the pictures of the dragon he was inspired to repaint the dragon again on the original body. Not sure if that’s true you really can’t trust any of these articles to get things exactly right.

F-Hole

One recent article has Page saying that when putting together the new zeppelin photo book and seeing all the pictures of the dragon he was inspired to repaint the dragon again on the original body. Not sure if that’s true you really can’t trust any of these articles to get things exactly right.

It's true.

Zoso

Page got such killer tone with that guitar. "How Many More Times" from Danmarks Radio is just savage.

Zoso

What we know for sure is that he has kept the body all of these years. And in multiple interviews he mentioned that when the guy repainted it without his permission he screwed up the bridge pickup. One thing that doesn’t jive with dates is Page said he went out on tour In 69 and came back and found the guitar not working. We know that in late 70 or early 71 he used the guitar and the bridge pickup for the stairway solo and rock ‘n’ roll solo. So it sounds like this friend didn’t do this to the guitar until obviously after those recordings. One recent article has Page saying that when putting together the new zeppelin photo book and seeing all the pictures of the dragon he was inspired to repaint the dragon again on the original body. Not sure if that’s true you really can’t trust any of these articles to get things exactly right.

That's the first time I've seen "Rock and Roll" mentioned as a Dragon song, though it's long been speculated it appears on more than just Led Zeppelin and "Stairway to Heaven." Any more confirmed uses?

The Shifter

That's the first time I've seen "Rock and Roll" mentioned as a Dragon song, though it's long been speculated it appears on more than just Led Zeppelin and "Stairway to Heaven." Any more confirmed uses?

Don't know if it's confirmed, but I'd bet you a dime to a donut that "Black Dog" is that Tele. Also the solo in "Down By The Seaside"

gmann

Much ado about an ugly guitar, and one that's sure to be expensive.

J.D.

Still so much mystery and hearsay around this body. It just doesn't all make sense to me. With the resources available to JP all these years a simple paint job and/or pickup repair, especially on a guitar of this perceived importance, is trivial. Unless something very tragic and irreversible happened during the botched refinish job.

We talk of days for which we sit and wait, when all will be revealed.

sikoniko

It's true.

Do you know if Fender used the original guitar to make the tribute?

We know Page had the original neck and body. what about the pickups? Will this be like the collectors choice where Fender tries to get the neck shape as close as possible and body weight and pickup winding similar?

Or is it just a regular tele painted to look like Pages with his signature?

F-Hole

The guitar will be issued soon, and all will be revealed then.

deytookerjaabs

Don't know if it's confirmed, but I'd bet you a dime to a donut that "Black Dog" is that Tele. Also the solo in "Down By The Seaside"

Black Dog to me sounds/feels like a Lester (especially the bends), classic Les Paul on the solo & the main riff/verse tracking sounds like transistor/ss distortion of some type, like mixing up line/mic levels patched into a tape machine or something, very lo-fi. Funky ****. I love how a lot of 60's/70's bands, especially Led Zeppelin though, kept experimenting all the time with guitar sounds.

fernieite

I remember reading in The Tone Quest Report (I think) way back that they thought Page used the Tele on SIBLY (studio version -Zeppelin III) Apparently, if you listen closely with headphones, you may be able to hear single coil hum. I was too lazy to verify the claim...:)
Sounds plausible, I guess.