• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Kossoff Up Close

les strat

THIS is why I come here! Thanks so much for the great pics, and congrats!!!

david plues

Two theories. One the neck was grafted with a scarf repair and the damaged headstock was refurbished by Sam Li. Second theory (more of what I think), Li grafted a scarf joint (obviously) and completely crafted a new headstock, while salvaging the Gibson logo. JD may be on to something with the lack of top holes above the grovers, unless Li filled them in upon repair. I am going to further investigate this as well as measure the Headstock, due to the fact it seems a bit narrower.

I will let Ana know what you said. She really wants to shoot JB sometime while performing. Yes, we scored the winning ticket with our ladies. :salude

Arthur told me the original headstock split at 45 degrees and was lost in the crowd

Macaz

So glad for you for acquiring this beautiful guitar.
Thanks for being gracious enough to show it and allow us to see it up close.
I am, however, amazed that the Kossoff guitar was actually only a mile from my own home.
Who would have known? I must have passed it at least twice a week.
I hope you enjoyed your visit and I wish you many years of pleasure from owning such a historic and beautiful instrument.
Best wishes.
Dave,
North East England.

Last edited:

djd100

Curious, does anyone know how long Koss owned and played this one after the break/repair?

Also, which now famous recordings were done with this guitar?

TIA...

Fried okra

Curious, does anyone know how long Koss owned and played this one after the break/repair?

Also, which now famous recordings were done with this guitar?

TIA...

He aqired it in late 1970, according to Kossoffs girlfriend Sandie, from Clapton. After he broke it in 1972, he had luthier Sam Li repair it and played it until his death in 1976.

He used it live a lot after he acquired it. Since he got it after most Free recordings, he only used it on “Free at last”, and some of the tracks on “Heartbreaker”. He broke it during the “Heartbreaker” sessions October - November, 1972. He used it during Free’s 1st breakup on the album Kossoff Kirke Tetsu Rabbit. And after the 2nd Breakup with Back Street Crawler on albums “The Band Plays On”, “2nd Street” and “Live At Croyden Fairfield Halls 6-15-75”. I have pics of him playing it live in numerous places. Even have a pic of him playing it in Memphis, TN at the Mid South Stadium, April 21, 1972 with the speed knobs on it. :salude

Billy Porter

Great pictures. I'm just getting into Free/Kossoff at a late stage and have enjoyed your tales and hope you enjoy your guitar in good health

The Mayfair ticket is for the Mayfair Ballroom in Newcastle-upon-Tyne as stated in the article . Alas no longer there it hosted every rock band visiting the area and I believe was the first gig of Led Zeppelin. They hosted Friday rock nights and everyone on Tyneside over 40ish has fond memories of the venue

djd100

He aqired it in late 1970, according to Kossoffs girlfriend Sandie, from Clapton. After he broke it in 1972, he had luthier Sam Li repair it and played it until his death in 1976.

He used it live a lot after he acquired it. Since he got it after most Free recordings, he only used it on “Free at last”, and some of the tracks on “Heartbreaker”. He broke it during the “Heartbreaker” sessions October - November, 1972. He used it during Free’s 1st breakup on the album Kossoff Kirke Tetsu Rabbit. And after the 2nd Breakup with Back Street Crawler on albums “The Band Plays On”, “2nd Street” and “Live At Croyden Fairfield Halls 6-15-75”. I have pics of him playing it live in numerous places. Even have a pic of him playing it in Memphis, TN at the Mid South Stadium, April 21, 1972 with the speed knobs on it. :salude

Thanks, and if possible point me at some of the live Koss pics!

Koss, along with Page, Beck, Clapton, Taylor, Green/Spencer/Kirwan (and Hendrix of course), we're my initial Blues Rock guitar influences after the Beatles/Stones way back when.

Thanks...

sglp63

A spot of sanding, a lick of paint and maybe a reneck, and you'll have yourself a nice player there.

Fried okra

A spot of sanding, a lick of paint and maybe a reneck, and you'll have yourself a nice player there.

It could use a bit of spit polish, but other than that, it plays like butter. :hank

marshall1987

Simply amazing! Gives new meaning to "old wood". I'll bet that guitar sings like a song bird.

I have never seen nickel plating on a PAF peel off like that as evidenced on the bridge pickup. Very unusual.

Fried okra

Maybe someone can mic there 59 headstock. What the Kossoff reads is as follows:
78mm Top Most Width
65mm Middle Narrowist Width
68mm lower Width
15mm thick

sws1

Maybe someone can mic there 59 headstock. What the Kossoff reads is as follows:
78mm Top Most Width
65mm Middle Narrowist Width
68mm lower Width
15mm thick

I can check a bit later. However, if I'm not mistaken, there are a bunch of measurements at the back of BOTB. As you'd expect, they're all different.

ourmaninthenorth

Here you go Gents..

Source: The Beauty Of The 'Burst ( Yasuhiko Iwanade ) pg 220.

s4ZYJPQ.jpg