• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

60's Les Paul Custom

golfnut

I work in the IT field and my boss, the C.T.O claims to have a 1964 Les Paul Custom. He picked it up in 1984 from a music store in Germany.
He says that a few years ago he had it value appraised from Gibson, so in his mind its confirmed a 1964 Les Paul Custom.
However I've been doing some reading as I was trying to get a general idea of current value and I've run across some forums that suggest there were no Les Pauls made between 1962 and 1968 making it impossible for this to be a 1964 Les Paul. I don't know that much about Gibsons as I've mainly been a Fender guy. I owned a Les Paul traditional a few years ago that I did not keep and now a 2013 R7 that I can't see ever parting with.
So just wondering if someone can confirm that this is fact that there were no Les Pauls made between 62 and 68 and if they can point me to a link with some credible evidence of this so that I could show my boss that he has the date wrong.
If so, it could be an earlier model 1960 (would be even better but not likely) or a newer model (1969 or newer)

KingsleyMac

I work in the IT field and my boss, the C.T.O claims to have a 1964 Les Paul Custom. He picked it up in 1984 from a music store in Germany.
He says that a few years ago he had it value appraised from Gibson, so in his mind its confirmed a 1964 Les Paul Custom.
However I've been doing some reading as I was trying to get a general idea of current value and I've run across some forums that suggest there were no Les Pauls made between 1962 and 1968 making it impossible for this to be a 1964 Les Paul. I don't know that much about Gibsons as I've mainly been a Fender guy. I owned a Les Paul traditional a few years ago that I did not keep and now a 2013 R7 that I can't see ever parting with.
So just wondering if someone can confirm that this is fact that there were no Les Pauls made between 62 and 68 and if they can point me to a link with some credible evidence of this so that I could show my boss that he has the date wrong.
If so, it could be an earlier model 1960 (would be even better but not likely) or a newer model (1969 or newer)

First year SGs were technically called Les Pauls, so it's possible that the guitar could be a white Les Paul/SG Custom. They dropped the Les Paul name in 1963, but I suppose it's possible that a few Customs carried over the Les Paul appointments into 1964. These would be the Truss Rod Cover and plastic plate above the rhythm pickup, that both sport the cursive Les Paul logo.

As far as I know, there were no single-cutaway Les Paul Customs made in 1964. I've seen up to 1961 possibly 1962 but they didn't return with the traditional body shape until 1968. A 1968 LP Custom will be easily distinguishable from a late 50's/1960, we just need to see some pictures.

golfnut

First year SGs were technically called Les Pauls, so it's possible that the guitar could be a white Les Paul/SG Custom. They dropped the Les Paul name in 1963, but I suppose it's possible that a few Customs carried over the Les Paul appointments into 1964. These would be the Truss Rod Cover and plastic plate above the rhythm pickup, that both sport the cursive Les Paul logo.

As far as I know, there were no single-cutaway Les Paul Customs made in 1964. I've seen up to 1961 possibly 1962 but they didn't return with the traditional body shape until 1968. A 1968 LP Custom will be easily distinguishable from a late 50's/1960, we just need to see some pictures.

I've seen the guitar. Its a cherry burst les paul, shaped in the traditional les paul body. Not an SG. He actually told me it was dated as July 63 and holds fast that Gibson confirmed it.
I'm not over to his house often but he's planning a company, barbecue for the guys in IT so I'll get pics when I'm over for that.
He said that Gibson requested numbers from 3 different places on the guitar. Back of the headstock, and 2 other places can't remember where he said.

moonweasel

Let's see some pics. We will be happy to help. Maybe its a Sunburst from the 50's :) Would pay for a house if it was. :)

Try to get a picture of the "Gibson" headstock logo, an overall pic, and one of the serial number.

c_wester

With stories like these its not uncommon that the owner missed about 10 years.

Its probably a nice 1974.

Kris Ford

With stories like these its not uncommon that the owner missed about 10 years.

Its probably a nice 1974.

This, times a ZILLION!

I had an interesting "conversation" with this guy that swore he bought a SG before deploying to Vietnam in 1968, swore it up and down..insulted me, yada yada..

It was a 1971 SG Standard..

murphyterence

I have seen one oddball les paul custom that came from a gibson employee that was supposedly pre-1968. Unfortunately it met a sad demise, falling out of a trailer and being run over.

El Gringo

This info is easy enough to Google .In between 1962 -1968 No Gibson Guitars including SG's with the name of Les Paul on the headstock or the truss rod cover because the endorsement deal between Gibson and Les Paul expired at the end of 1961 and was not renewed by the two parties until 1968 .So any guitar claiming to say other wise is a forgery IMHO .

Kris Ford

This info is easy enough to Google .In between 1962 -1968 No Gibson Guitars including SG's with the name of Les Paul on the headstock or the truss rod cover because the endorsement deal between Gibson and Les Paul expired at the end of 1961 and was not renewed by the two parties until 1968 .So any guitar claiming to say other wise is a forgery IMHO .

..except that there are known legit '63s...:salude

El Gringo

When did Gibson start using the 3 piece maple tops on 68 and onward Les Paul Customs ?

sromes1

I have a les paul custom I'm trying to date can anyone help? new here so can't find how to insert photos from my computer can anyone help? thx

sromes1

I have a les paul custom I'm trying to date can anyone help? new here so can't find how to insert photos from my computer can anyone help? thx

garywright

based on the limited information provided ...your guitar was manufactured between the years 1954-2020. :ganz

Bruce R

For informational purposes only, but a collector friend of mine has a legit 1961 3-pickup, single cut, black LP Custom. Looks no different than a '60. I need to ask him how he dated it, but I was assuming serial number & pot codes.

fernieite

I'm pretty sure you need to save the photos to a third party picture sharing site first, and then you can add them here - Imgur, photobucket, etc. You can't share directly from your computer, unfortunately. I'm in the same boat.