• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which new pots most like a vintage centralab?

renderit

I was referring back to post #95 where the guy from the company says that the logo on the back is functional, and makes it easier to solder to the back of the pots.
Al

Yes. I understand that. But YOU said it makes it harder to solder to (than his etching was the implication) in post #157. It does not. It makes it even easier than his etching.

Love your R5 singer very nice guitar Ren !

Thank you very much. It is coming around. I am wondering if the new old-wire pickups are going to settle in though. Some pretty wild times! I am starting to see what duaneflowers said about the set he got. You have to learn how to control them. From amp to amp they are pretty different. The bridge hits you IMMEDIATELY as a jangley Tele sound when all the way up on the Tone. The Neck is the hard one. Goes from very dark to just about perfect, but it's reaction to different amps is astonishingly different.

TM1

I love the Long Shaft pots!! I put them in my 2017 Travis Bean Artist. It's a replica of the 1976 TBG! Beans are wired a little different in that they wired the pots to be independant from each other(you can have both pickups on and roll the volume all the way down on one without turning off the whole guitar.) I love the taper on these as it's exactly like the old Centralabs. I do have to use a "Treble Bleed" on the volume pots as the pickups are in the 11K d.c resistance range. they are made somewhat like the original Fender "Wide Range" pickups except they use alnico 5 slugs instead of the Cunife knife magnets. The very first few TBG's back in 1975 did use the Cunife types. I, at one time owned the 3rd guitar made and the 1st with a serial number..
Anyway, the VIP's in this guitar are perfect!

ChevChelios

Yes. I understand that. But YOU said it makes it harder to solder to (than his etching was the implication) in post #157. It does not. It makes it even easier than his etching.

Yep. The etching helps the solder flow and stick compared to "untreated" pot casings by providing more surface area. Sanding the pots as Ren did takes this effect up a notch. I personally don't like it, though, as you cannot avoid to produce fine metal dust that will settle in the pot which CAN (but doesn't have to) lead to defects down the road.

I love the Long Shaft pots!! ... Anyway, the VIP's in this guitar are perfect!

Good to hear that you're liking the long shaft VIPots, too, Don. I really thought that everyone with a standard Gibson Les Paul (esp. from the 80s , 90s, 2000s) would love to replace their pots, but I have to say that they're selling pretty slow. I'm not sure if I'll make another run of them.

buyusfear

I'm going to have to try some of these out. I spend so much time and money sourcing and metering and sorting my pots for all of the things you claim to address.
Someone recently informed me of these via commenting on a post on my Instagram page. I had no idea they were a thing since I haven't been on here much lately; things having a toddler will do to ya.

I'm not a huge fan of the logo on the pots to be honest (but get it), or the shorter terminals, but only because I like my builds to look old inside and out.
I recently even added the common rust lines to the pots on a build I did. Geeky stuff, but geeky for the sake of geeky is my thing.

Ultimately, if these things function, sound, and feel like vintage pots, I'm interested. Cause thats really all that matters.
The Bourns thing concerns me only because I've found their pots to feel way too loose/smooth torque wise to go into a vintage style guitar, but on your site you mention working on all aspects including aiming for the same torque.

Cool stuff!
Side note, get an Instagram account set up. Not having one is probably why I've never heard of these.

deytookerjaabs

I installed the chev-pots in my H150 and think they're great. I'm not one to wax poetic over the old pots though, at least in the guitars I owned from that era, none of which being Les Pauls. I even put two of them in my 60's FBIII because the middle and neck pickup were too dark, they definitely added some highs but the old ones tested in the 400k range. And, the other two I put in the volume knobs on my V, again, improvement over the feel/taper/highend of the unknowns that were in there.

Worth the dough no doubt about it.

renderit

Coupons! I LOVE ME SOME COUPONS! They are almost as good as BOX TOPS! Are you in Battle Creek Michigan? Hey kids! Order yourz today 'cause I'm buyin' up more and more!

Cream Fan

For everyone who's still pondering: Coupon code 4thVIP takes 20% every order $50 or more in my webshop.

Just curious if you're ever going to have metric versions available. I've got an Epiphone Tony Iommi LTD SG on its way to me. My wife got it for me for our 30th anniversary. She got a way more expensive ring!

Anyway, I'm told that the volume pots are 500K linear and the tone pots are 500K audio. Don't know if that's the case, but two seconds through an amp will tell me. I'd rather not use a reamer if I can avoid it, but if the volumes are indeed linear they will have to go.

rickkinne59

Yep. The etching helps the solder flow and stick compared to "untreated" pot casings by providing more surface area. Sanding the pots as Ren did takes this effect up a notch. I personally don't like it, though, as you cannot avoid to produce fine metal dust that will settle in the pot which CAN (but doesn't have to) lead to defects down the road.

Good to hear that you're liking the long shaft VIPots, too, Don. I really thought that everyone with a standard Gibson Les Paul (esp. from the 80s , 90s, 2000s) would love to replace their pots, but I have to say that they're selling pretty slow. I'm not sure if I'll make another run of them.

So, just to be clear, short or long shafts for a Historic?

ChevChelios

My wife got it for me for our 30th anniversary.

Congrats on your 30th anniversary!

Just curious if you're ever going to have metric versions available.

Sorry, but there are no plans for a metric version of the VIPots. But I'm not sure that you will need metric pots for the Epiphone. As far as I know they are using Alpha pots in those, which may or may not have the thicker shafts, anyway.

Ultimately, if these things function, sound, and feel like vintage pots, I'm interested. Cause thats really all that matters.
The Bourns thing concerns me only because I've found their pots to feel way too loose/smooth torque wise to go into a vintage style guitar, but on your site you mention working on all aspects including aiming for the same torque.

Great looking builds! And regarding the Bourns torque - I totally agree. The torque on the VIPots is a lot less loose than on the standard Bourns pots.

Side note, get an Instagram account set up. Not having one is probably why I've never heard of these.

You're not the first one to say this. I work as a scientist during the day and wind pickups/handle orders in the night. Not much time to do a lot of social media stuff.

Last edited:

thin sissy

Fuck it, I just bought a set. I don't know what I'm going to do with them but I really want to encourage "old timey" pots business :laugh2:

jbzoso2002

OK I finally got around to putting in the VIpots.

I really like these, great tone and more clarity.

I even am getting a bit more sustain.

The turning torque is perfect for me.

Very easy to solder on the back.

Long shaft in 96 studio w 50's wiring pio caps,
Seymour Duncan Antiquities w/full strength magnets.

Thanks for a Great New Product!!!

Jimmy

TM1

Just curious if you're ever going to have metric versions available. I've got an Epiphone Tony Iommi LTD SG on its way to me. My wife got it for me for our 30th anniversary. She got a way more expensive ring!

Anyway, I'm told that the volume pots are 500K linear and the tone pots are 500K audio. Don't know if that's the case, but two seconds through an amp will tell me. I'd rather not use a reamer if I can avoid it, but if the volumes are indeed linear they will have to go.

Bill... The Epi's use Metric shafts. Takes about 2 minutes per hole to ream them out. What do you have against reaming the holes out for the pots?. I've reamed so_____ many Epi's over the years. The VIP pots are all Audio Taper and will work like your old wiring harness.

Cream Fan

Hi, Don. I do own a reamer. My only reservation is accidentally cracking the finish around the holes. Perhaps that's more of a concern with real lacquer than with a urethane finish, which is probably what the Iommi SG has. If the pots in there are audio taper, I'll leave them for now, but if not I'll definitely want them out and wired 50s style. First, I have to hear it to see if I'll even like the Iommi pickups. They're definitely hotter than the PAFs and Patent Numbers to which I'm accustomed. In your experience, do Epis come stock with Linear taper volume pots or Audio?

EDIT: And I assume that if I change out the pots I'll also have to change out the knobs to English measure versions.

Last edited:

rickkinne59

Thanks again. I ordered the pre-wired kit from Jackson Electronics Luthier on Reverb. It will be replacing the Dr. Vintage pots and green PIO caps in my R9. I look forward to seeing/hearing/feeling the difference...

jbzoso2002

Hi, Don. I do own a reamer. My only reservation is accidentally cracking the finish around the holes. Perhaps that's more of a concern with real lacquer than with a urethane finish, which is probably what the Iommi SG has. If the pots in there are audio taper, I'll leave them for now, but if not I'll definitely want them out and wired 50s style. First, I have to hear it to see if I'll even like the Iommi pickups. They're definitely hotter than the PAFs and Patent Numbers to which I'm accustomed. In your experience, do Epis come stock with Linear taper volume pots or Audio?

EDIT: And I assume that if I change out the pots I'll also have to change out the knobs to English measure versions.

I have changed the pots on about 6 Epi Les Pauls.

The stock ones are crap, I just use a drill bit to ream by hand and
its very easy, the holes are not much bigger at all.

You may have to use vise grips on the drill bit.

On the Epi Les Pauls they are short shaft, and you will need new knobs.

Jimmy

ChevChelios

Are you guys sure that reaming is required when replacing Alpha pots?

I found one in my parts drawer and it has the exact same shaft as a regular CTS pot.

IMG_2897sm.jpgIMG_2898sm.jpg

TM1

I have an Epi ES-335 Dot that belonged to a good friend who passed from cancer. I had to ream out the holes just slightly so that CTS pots would fit. Wasn't much, but they spray that poly on so thick over der in Chiney.