• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

JimR56

Finally, another example that really belongs in this thread. Reported to be a '53 ES-295 custom. Its history is a little unclear, but it's a beauty:

p2_upzfmpu3w_ss_1024x1024.jpeg

p1_ukscwo2px_ss_1024x1024.jpeg

And it's for sale: http://guitarbroker.com/products/1953-gibson-es-295-special-order-see-thru-cherry-red

JimR56

Again guys, from post #1:

After seeing J45's pictures of his red hollowbodies in another thread, I was inspired to start a thread on these red beauties. Please add any pictures you may have of factory red Gibsons from the 50s and 60s.

I'm not really talking about the common examples like cherry SGs and ES-335s, I'm talking about models that don't usually come in red, or custom examples like Sparkling Burgandy, Cardinal Red...

:salude

JimR56

That one must be okay, because it was the first one posted by the guy who started the thread. (Don't worry, this is the kind of thing I do all the time. :)).

Elliot Easton

Did Gibson really use their classic cherry aniline dye as early as '53, or is that 295 a refin? I can't recall such an early example. I know they used some cherry in their really early days but on an electric? In 1953?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Did Gibson really use their classic cherry aniline dye as early as '53, or is that 295 a refin? I can't recall such an early example. I know they used some cherry in their really early days but on an electric? In 1953?

It doesn't seem likely. :hmm

Greasy G

I guess this would be one of those instances of "extraordinary claims require evidence". Not extraordinary evidence, any plain ol' evidence will do.

Brilliant guitar, though!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I guess this would be one of those instances of "extraordinary claims require evidence". Not extraordinary evidence, any plain ol' evidence will do.

Brilliant guitar, though!

I had a mid 50s, single P-90 ES-175 in cherry. I had to conclude it was a refin. But it sure looked killer!

JimR56

I agree. To be fair, the description does include the idea that it could have been built in '53 and finished later (but 4+ years later?), but that doesn't seem much more likely than a 1953 ES-295 in cherry.

This seller is experienced, and I've followed his inventory for years, but I've never actually dealt with him. Fwiw.

Greasy G

This seller is experienced, and I've followed his inventory for years, but I've never actually dealt with him. Fwiw.

I bought a cool Guild archtop from him last year and I have no complaints whatsoever.

Daniel James

Was just doing some online searching, and came across something I'd seen before, but hadn't posted here. This one is a '61, apparently custom ordered with a red body and a black top. At least the back photo belongs in this thread (but I'll post both).

p1_umjnqncrr_so.jpg

Rare bird!

Holy...that is IT! What a guitar.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I suppose you don't have any pictures, do you?

I do, but my scanner no longer works. I took the photo in my shop in January of 1978. My notes from that time say it was serial number A21011 with FON: W 1120-8.
It also says it was refinished in the 60s with the serial number pressed into the back of the headstock.

Greasy G

I do, but my scanner no longer works. I took the photo in my shop in January of 1978. My notes from that time say it was serial number A21011 with FON: W 1120-8.
It also says it was refinished in the 60s with the serial number pressed into the back of the headstock.

Thanks. Who knows, maybe it will turn up at that special moment in time when my wallet overflows. :hank

JimR56