• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Exposing the "evil doers"...

Jumping@Shadows

No, CT didn't sell it, but he knew of its existence as a questionable guitar for many years but wasn't able to call it

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Yes, that's what the 'provenance' stated

The guitar I was offered in 1986 by Tony Rawlinson was a lemon colour? but the guitar that Wizard sold for £30,000 was a dark cherry burst. I quizzed Murdoch over the Wizard guitar after I had examined it and he told me he got it from someone in the Northeast. The name Tom Lionel Gibson rings a bell?

Y

yeti

First world problems. You'll get through it my man. Stay strong!! :peace2

:hee

I can relate to Hoss' response very well. I lost interest in buying vintage guitars after being overwhelmed by the sheer number of fake Fenders in stores and at guitarshows in germany during the late 80's. It really took the fun out of it. When you feel that way it might be a good time for a self imposed moratorium.

Jumping@Shadows

I saw a fake lemon one too that had an exaggerated belly carve and a fahe ageing, but yes, I am referring to the Wizard guitar which Lionel Gibson sold. I actually met him by pure chance many years later and after chatting to him awhile put the picture together- pretty crazy really!

Pat Boyack

I can relate to Hoss' response very well. I lost interest in buying vintage guitars after being overwhelmed by the sheer number of fake Fenders in stores and at guitarshows in germany during the late 80's. It really took the fun out of it. When you feel that way it might be a good time for a self imposed moratorium.

I view Fenders differently. Leo himself had no problem using parts that were sitting around for a couple of years into current production. They are basically parts guitars from the start.

Beano Geno

I view Fenders differently. Leo himself had no problem using parts that were sitting around for a couple of years into current production. They are basically parts guitars from the start.

Yes, but would you pay "original" money for a frankenstrat?

Y

yeti

Yes, parts guitars but they better be genuine Fender parts. You should have seen the stuff that was hanging in so-called vintage stores in germany or at guitar shows (like the 1988 Berlin guitar show at Congesshalle Berlin)
No legit pre-CBS fenders anywhere, but "converted"70's strats (they weren't vintage back then) ,and Squiers with fender logos. Lot's of refins that were so poorly done that even I could spot them. I made the "mistake"of going there with a friend who owns a few very nice pieces and he pointed all that stuff out to me. he said he'd never seen so many fakes in one place before.
After that experience it was clear to me that the collectioble guitar market is not for me.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Years ago I got stitched up on a 1959 Les Paul Special I bought on eBay off a dude called Oliver Grandke from Music Plus in Cologne in Germany. The guitar arrived in two pieces with no splinters in the case and he refused to give me a refund because he shipped it without insurance. I left negative feedback and people began to email me asking what happened. He began to lose business as a result of me sharing my negative experience and he threatened to sue me for bad mouthing him.

2002standardmat

The guitar I was offered in 1986 by Tony Rawlinson was a lemon colour? but the guitar that Wizard sold for £30,000 was a dark cherry burst. I quizzed Murdoch over the Wizard guitar after I had examined it and he told me he got it from someone in the Northeast. The name Tom Lionel Gibson rings a bell?

I don't want to muddy the waters and by all means discard my next comment as my 10 minute glimpse at the guitar is all I have to remember but I am pretty darn sure the one I was in A1's window was a dark cherry burst, it certainly wasn't a lemon (in colour that is), there was certainly a lot of red in it.

Will have been a Saturday some time in June/July 1989 - ain't it funny the things you remember, like your first 'burst'...

Last edited:

Jumping@Shadows

I have detailed pics of the £30k fake I took when I had it so I might post a pic or two if anyone really cares?

Otto 57

I'd love to see what was passing as 'real' in London in the 80's.

Pat Boyack

Yes, but would you pay "original" money for a frankenstrat?

How can one say that a vintage Fender isn't or is a FrankenStrat, FrankenTele or so on? And original Fender can have a neck that is 2 years older than the body. So a guy can put one together and still call it original. I bet there have been plenty of Fenders that have been put together and called original or sold as Franken(whatever) and then later sold as original. As stated before that is the problem with trying to verify those type of guitars.