• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

donw35

norlins.jpg

Last edited:

Big Al

72 walnut.
SDC10631.jpg

SDC10633.jpg

That looks to be a MAPLE top with a WALNUT finish. Rare, I've never seen one before. More common on the ES models. Gibson used Walnut stain for the backs of some Les Pauls, and for the all mahogany Recording models. But Walnut finished tops on Lesters are rare, rare, rare. There also are some Cherry Red ones from the same time period.

Last edited:

Big Al

You can clearly see the grain of the wood. That is Eastern Maple. Walnut is a very distinctive wood and has a different grain. I think yours is beautiful! Never saw that finish on a Lester until the Artisans, which were walnut stained. You should be able to see it from the control cavity and maybe the pickup routs. It does appear to be a sprayed on color, much like the cherry red ones, as opposed to a stain, which is what they usually did. That would make it even more rare, IMO.

There was a thread about the later THE PAUL Issue which is indeed Walnut wood. If you check out the photos you should see the difference.

donw35

that neck pickup looks like it got left out in the rain or beer soaked

kharrison

that neck pickup looks like it got left out in the rain or beer soaked

Yeah...I took the pole screws out and cleaned them up a bit as well as the slugs. I got it from the original owner that played the crap out of it down here in Jax. The bridge pup quit and so he dropped in a 500T which I am going to change out with another T top. The original Nashville was so rusted that I put on a new one. He also put on a chrome pickguard which was screwed on and then I had to pry it off. The thing looks like hell but just plays and sounds amazing.

marshall1987

1970 Les Paul Deluxe, 9 lb. 2 oz.; pro-refret; bridge/neck mini-hum = 6.85 K ohms/7.25 K ohms; serial No. 9506XX

IMG_0113.jpg

Chucklesbarry

1971 , Standard 58.
Goldtop with abr and stoptail.
Featherweight, 8.1/4 lb. very resonant. Really has that "old wood" tone.

IMG_3668_zpsf4ec9912.jpg

Last edited:

Big Al

1970 Les Paul Deluxe, 9 lb. 2 oz.; pro-refret; bridge/neck mini-hum = 6.85 K ohms/7.25 K ohms; serial No. 9506XX

IMG_0113.jpg

Those are my favorites. Kalamazoo made early 70's Les Paul Deluxe are just tits! :hippy I always have had at least one since the early 70's. I can't help it but I always put P90's in the Goldtops, which is what I have now. I leave the sunburst ones with the mini hums on as I really like the tone of those little monsters. That is one clean machine brother!

marshall1987

Those are my favorites. Kalamazoo made early 70's Les Paul Deluxe are just tits! :hippy I always have had at least one since the early 70's. I can't help it but I always put P90's in the Goldtops, which is what I have now. I leave the sunburst ones with the mini hums on as I really like the tone of those little monsters. That is one clean machine brother!

Thanks Big Al. After seeing Barry Bailey (ARS) in the late 70's I was sold on these early Les Paul Deluxes'. His guitar tone was simply magical through a 50 watt Marshall half-stack. I dig the mini hums for what they are. BTW with the exception of a pro-refret, the guitar is completely original, unmolested down to the solder joints! :salude

Last edited:

Big Al

Thanks Big Al. After seeing Barry Bailly (ARS) in the late 70's I was sold on these early Les Paul Deluxes'. His guitar tone was simply magical through a 50 watt Marshall half-stack. I dig the mini hums for what they are. BTW with the exception of a pro-refret, the guitar is completely original, unmolested down to the solder joints! :salude

Yeah, I really should refret mine. I find that some nice 6100's do the job for me. I usually keep my Deluxes stock, and for the most part mine is, but I just can't seem to resist putting P90's in the Goldtops. I need to find another so I can have the Mini Hum thing again. When I can post photo's I'll show mine. Barry was a great exponent of the Deluxe tone. Makes me crave some Champagne Jam!!!

Midnight Blues

My '72 Limited Edition '54 that I've had since '73:

midnight-blues-albums-my-pictures-picture36900-1972-les-paul-le-case.jpg

midnight-blues-albums-my-pictures-picture36898-1972-les-paul-le.jpg

My '76 Deluxe that I've had since around '77:

This is what it originally looked like (photo courtesy of Ludlow Guitars, NYC):

midnight-blues-albums-my-pictures-picture44218-76-tobacco-sunburst-lp-ludlow-guitars.jpg

This what it looked like for the last 35 years or so after I had mods done shortly after I bought it:

midnight-blues-albums-my-pictures-picture36901-1976-les-paul-deluxe-case.jpg

midnight-blues-albums-my-pictures-picture36899-1976-les-paul-deluxe.jpg

This is what it looks like today after I had Bare Knuckles PG Blues installed and "Reflectors" put on:

midnight-blues-albums-my-pictures-picture43005-76-lp-pg-blues.jpg

Midnight Blues

I like this look, hows it play ? same frets/QUOTE]

Very nicely Don, thanks! Yes, the same frets. I have one or two in the upper register that need to be changed, but I think I'm going to wait a while longer and get them all done.