• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fane Ascension A60 Opinions

TM1

Looking for honest comparable opinions on the Alnico Fane vs. Celestions. The Celestion Alnico Blue is my fave and I've been using them for 30+ years, but need a speaker with more power handling for my Marshall Astoria Custom that's an alnico, but sounds as close to the Blue as you can get.
Cheers!

latestarter

The reviews are very good.

I can't help you re the Fane, but I am using the Celestion AlNiCo Cream in my 1974CX cab and so far I am impressed. It has the touch sensitivity I thought was sometimes missing in the Gold, even with low powered amps.

TM1

I can't help you re the Fane, but I am using the Celestion AlNiCo Cream in my 1974CX cab and so far I am impressed. It has the touch sensitivity I thought was sometimes missing in the Gold, even with low powered amps.
I have a Alnico Cream in my Marshall Astoria Custom combo. I like it in that amp, but I’m going swap it out for the Fane..

goldtop0

That's good to hear re the Cream.
Also, my Gold is slightly darker sounding compared to the Blue which doesn't impress me.............it'll be interesting to see what the Ruby brings to the table when I get to try one.

latestarter

Also, my Gold is slightly darker sounding compared to the Blue which doesn't impress me.............it'll be interesting to see what the Ruby brings to the table when I get to try one.

I think Gold's take a LONG time to break in. I have one in my 65Amps Tupelo, which has now probably played 100 gigs. It sounds fantastic now. When it was new it had an annoying brittleness to it, right at the top end. Now that has gone and everything in general has smoothed out, I wouldn't change it.

I have one of those Jensen Blackbirds, new in box, I need to try. Trouble is, not Celestion bolt spacing...WTF!! I hear good things about them so I might have to drill an extra set of holes, further towards the edge, so I can install it.

goldtop0

I think Gold's take a LONG time to break in. I have one in my 65Amps Tupelo, which has now probably played 100 gigs. It sounds fantastic now. When it was new it had an annoying brittleness to it, right at the top end. Now that has gone and everything in general has smoothed out, I wouldn't change it.

I have one of those Jensen Blackbirds, new in box, I need to try. Trouble is, not Celestion bolt spacing...WTF!! I hear good things about them so I might have to drill an extra set of holes, further towards the edge, so I can install it.

You're right about the Gold.........it won't be going anywhere......it'll develop the goodness over time I'm sure.
Drill those holes and give it the once around the table. My latest experience wasn't as drastic thankfully.......an old C12N to try in my PR 1x12......the holes didn't 'quite' fit the screw/nut poles so it was a scrunch and push effort and a job to get it back off and out again.......definitely a jeez george moment:lol

The Gold has the darker sound care of the light doping around the rim(just looked at that now when I had it out). This is the first instance where I've had to take into account doping as a tone 'darkener'.

Last edited:

TM1

My friend John Jorgenson has two 4x12's loaded with the new Ruby's. He's using them on the Elton John Tour and seems to be happy with them so far. I've messaged him a few times about these and also his replica Vox UL730(compared to his original).

TM1

Edge Doping: about 25 years ago I was talking with Mark Sampson and I asked him why he took off the edge doping on the Celestion's they use in their cabinets. He said, and I quote.." I'd rather have a great sounding speaker for 5 years than an o.k. sounding one for 10 years."
So if you get some Acetone or Lacquer Thinner and a rag, you can remove a good amount of that Edge Doping.. I usually have a bowl with either solvent and a brush, brush it on, let it sit for a few and then with the rag rub it off..

TM1

I got the Fane Ascension A60!! Was a bit bright & scooped sounding at first, but after a few hours of semi-loud rehearsals it's fattening up nicely..

goldtop0

Edge Doping: about 25 years ago I was talking with Mark Sampson and I asked him why he took off the edge doping on the Celestion's they use in their cabinets. He said, and I quote.." I'd rather have a great sounding speaker for 5 years than an o.k. sounding one for 10 years."
So if you get some Acetone or Lacquer Thinner and a rag, you can remove a good amount of that Edge Doping.. I usually have a bowl with either solvent and a brush, brush it on, let it sit for a few and then with the rag rub it off..

Thanks Don, I'll do that with my Gold and see how we go:salude