• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall tone at 1-3 watts ....anything new out ?

AA00475Bassman

For home playing...I'd rather play a small amp flat out, straight in, than a big amp dialled to a whisper, any day of the week.

Different tools for different jobs.

This..

IPNC3mT.jpg

over this...

hecAPyp.jpg

every time.
Really feel the same , dime out the small watt amp no pedals ! my 50 watt amps are gathering dust .

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
the problem is

once you try a vintage park amp or a metro amp as I have there is a tone you remember and most el84 amps and micro amps have what sounds to me like a buzzy tone rather than a screaming marshall grind. there is something in the tonality that tells me "close but no cigar"

I recall trying a mercury amp and it was very good

I also remember a custom el84 and that used both sides of the tube which was amazing but cant remember the name

Progrocker111

Really feel the same , dime out the small watt amp no pedals ! my 50 watt amps are gathering dust .

What for are OD pedals? You can set volume nearly on zero on pedal and still crank the amp. Try it. It will have better tone on 4x12 than cranked small 1x10 combo even on TV volume. :)

AA00475Bassman

I also have voltage regulator on my 18 watt works really great with the buzzy 2x12 cabinet , this way I don't use a over drive pedal to alter the tone of the amp !

Pellman73

the problem is

once you try a vintage park amp or a metro amp as I have there is a tone you remember and most el84 amps and micro amps have what sounds to me like a buzzy tone rather than a screaming marshall grind. there is something in the tonality that tells me "close but no cigar"

I recall trying a mercury amp and it was very good

I also remember a custom el84 and that used both sides of the tube which was amazing but cant remember the name

the new Mercury V is a very different amp than the original Mercury's if that's what you mean

old ones were EL84s and the V in the new one is a mercury V as in 6V6

I was corrected by the man himself on this one (when I called there I said "I have a Mercury Five" (the tube for the reverb went out and I wasn't smart enough to figure that out) and he said, "its mercury V... like 6v6" "and I said "oh. good to know"

zhivago

I have a Zvex nano amp that I run through a 70s greenback 1x12, it sounds awesome. :jim

duaneflowers

I have a Zvex nano amp that I run through a 70s greenback 1x12, it sounds awesome. :jim

I have the same rig here and it do sound awesome... unless there's a plexi pedal in front of it it's more Mesa than Marshall to my ears though...

The best Marshall crunch I get at bedroom volumes is through my Kemper... only thing missing is the pant-leg flapping air movement... which I do miss... :hee

zhivago

I have the same rig here and it do sound awesome... unless there's a plexi pedal in front of it it's more Mesa than Marshall to my ears though...

The best Marshall crunch I get at bedroom volumes is through my Kemper... only thing missing is the pant-leg flapping air movement... which I do miss... :hee

I too miss the air moving...I find dialling the nano round 2 o clock and then hitting it with a Klon takes it to another level. :salude

Lenny

Having gone down the route of trying to get that sound in a compact size, I now prefer using the ToneStack app on my phone or iPad when I'm at home or need to record on my own. It's so much less frustrating and I can nail any tone. I use amps at the rehearsal room and at gigs, that's to me how it should be. You're going to waste tons of money on those small amps, gizmos and attenuators which in comparison to a real amp cost a fortune. Tone happens at a certain volume, you can't go around that fact.
The only amp I could recommend for home use is the Orange OR-15 which has a Master control and keeps good tone at whisper level. Then you can still use it at rehearsals. It's not a tone as rich as a Marshall but it's the closest compromise.

renderit

Having gone down the route of trying to get that sound in a compact size, I now prefer using the ToneStack app on my phone or iPad when I'm at home or need to record on my own. It's so much less frustrating and I can nail any tone. I use amps at the rehearsal room and at gigs, that's to me how it should be. You're going to waste tons of money on those small amps, gizmos and attenuators which in comparison to a real amp cost a fortune. Tone happens at a certain volume, you can't go around that fact.
The only amp I could recommend for home use is the Orange OR-15 which has a Master control and keeps good tone at whisper level. Then you can still use it at rehearsals. It's not a tone as rich as a Marshall but it's the closest compromise.

I would respectfully argue you are wrong. I can peg an amp and put it through the Two Notes Torpedo and you will find it does not sound any different than the same thing through a full stack at a MUCH lower volume level. Really. ANY amp. If what you said is true than a record sounds like crap.

Pellman73

I would respectfully argue you are wrong. I can peg an amp and put it through the Two Notes Torpedo and you will find it does not sound any different than the same thing through a full stack at a MUCH lower volume level. Really. ANY amp. If what you said is true than a record sounds like crap.

Which version of the Torpedo do you have?

I had never heard of it before you mentioning it. Was watching some videos of Joey Landreth with the full rack mount version— looks really amazing

i have a Rivera rockcrusher recording which is also really good. Not sure how they would compare. It both attenuates but also has a cab sim out and both work great. I can play it directly through the cab itself with the attenuator or shut that off completely and use the XLR out with the cab simulator to my mixer into my computer and play with headphones but it still sounds— like you said, a full on deal

Pellman73

Looks really good

I guess that’s what I love about this forum so much is learning about all these things.

it just gets expensive. That looks a lot better than the Rivera — the software is badass.

Actually seems like that one does not have an attenuator— just the load box.

the torpedo reload I guess has the attenuator... I do like the option of just playing the amp into the cab without having my computer on

why do you think the live is more expensive than the reload?

Last edited:

renderit

The reload is more along the lines of the Mesa Cab Clone. Very limited in what it will do for simulation. The Torpedo Live can simulate or be a line out or both. A lot more flexibility. And you don't NEED to put the torpedo through anything to use it, i.e. you can plug headphones straight into it and use almost all of the functionality without a computer at all. Or with a DAW for recording. Or any combination. I see the biggest advantage being I can have my Clark Piedmont ('60 Bassman Clone) balls to the wall and nobody knows it but me. Or my Germino MGL playong through a full stack. I just wish it had a variable AC out so I could hook a fan to it to blow my pant legs forward. Ultimate simulation...

Pellman73

I forgot I have one of these Yamaha THR10x deals at work. This actually might be the best-- lets just say-- mini marshalls in a box that I've played. (i'm demonstrating a more high gain thing perhaps but you get the picture)

they are fun as hell.

The green one is the more metal one-- there is a less gainy one than this that may be even better

this is in my office at the hospital this afternoon

LIVE AT THE REID HEART CENTER!!:yah:dude:

... there are people around so I cannot play it loud

I do love this tom anderson more and more I should say. I brought it to work today and it sounds pretty good through this thing ( to me)

I'm sure I shouldn't be posting videos as my skill level is not there but... ah who cares

Pellman73

Some fine playing Pellman , love the top, the amp sounds great Thanks for the Demo !

ha —thanks bassman

YES I DIG THE TOP TOO- ATLANIC STORM IS WHAT TA CALLS IT
The guitar has his P-90 in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge but you can split both of them and put them in parallel — so you can get strat, tele, and les paul tones... really cool

designed (he picked the top, the pup combo, that it is a Cobra S (which is the short scale les paulish thing that TA does) by Teddy at Make n Music and was a NAMM guitar. I saw it there and played it and thought it was awesome. Then I bought it when I saw it came up for sale on reverb. Then I sold it to a guy here in town in a GAS frenzy for something else.... and then I just recently bought it back!

every millimeter of that guitar feels sleek, sanded, smooth, almost made by aliens or something. Great instrument!