• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gold Top greening gallery

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Bumping an old thread, but I thought y'all might like some pics of my friends '56 Lester. Plenty of greening on this one...
SDC14168.jpg

SDC14170.jpg

imagejpg1_zps21828538.jpg

I LOVE how the flame is showing in the arm wear!:yah

gavindale

I own a 2001 R-7 that has greening where my arm rests. Is this expected from the Gibson finish used in this era? I seem to remember that this was one of the "improvements" or changes to get closer to a true '57. I can post photos if needed. I love the greening!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I own a 2001 R-7 that has greening where my arm rests. Is this expected from the Gibson finish used in this era? I seem to remember that this was one of the "improvements" or changes to get closer to a true '57. I can post photos if needed. I love the greening!

That would not be an improvement in my book. That would indicate they are not using the correct gold color, which contains bronze [that's what turns green].
I hope they never change to a gold that does not turn green [when exposed to air with moisture, etc.]. :ganz

jimmi

That would not be an improvement in my book. That would indicate they are not using the correct gold color, which contains bronze [that's what turns green].
I hope they never change to a gold that does not turn green [when exposed to air with moisture, etc.]. :ganz
He is saying that it does turn green and that he thought it was a change that Gibson did to get back to a truer 50s finish,

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
He is saying that it does turn green and that he thought it was a change that Gibson did to get back to a truer 50s finish,

Yes, I got that.
I wouldn't call it an improvement, to stop the greening.

Anyway, it's a question for the Historic area. I'm sure there he will get the answer.

JJ Blair

Greening of the finish itself if more like what happened to '68 and later GTs. '50s GTs don't green unless there is checking or finish wear that exposes the bronze layer to humidity or sweat.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Greening of the finish itself if more like what happened to '68 and later GTs. '50s GTs don't green unless there is checking or finish wear that exposes the bronze layer to humidity or sweat.

What caused the 68 and newer Goldtops to "green", if not the same thing as the 50s versions? :wah

thin sissy

Yes, I got that.

Anyway, it's a question for the Historic area. I'm sure there he will get the answer.
The "improvement" he talked about was not "to stop the greening", but to make the finish turn green like on the old ones. As in:

- At first the historics didn't turn green
- then, "improvement"
- then, greenage

Or, that's the way I read it at least :## ? :)

jimmi

Yes, I got that.

Are you and I reading the same text? He said they green, you say yo wouldn't call it an improvement if it doesn't green. His is in fact greening so what are you tryIng to say? I don't see the point of disagreement with what Gibson has done. They have improved the finish by allowing it to green.

gavindale

Hi!

Yes, what I was trying to say was that it is greening where my arm has worn through the top coat of clear, exposing the finish and has turned green. My understanding was that Gibson had added the "correct" bronze powder that had been used in the '50's Goldtop finishes.

I apologize for this being discussed in this part of the forum. My original thought was that it was an appropriate post.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Are you and I reading the same text? He said they green, you say yo wouldn't call it an improvement if it doesn't green. His is in fact greening so what are you tryIng to say? I don't see the point of disagreement with what Gibson has done. They have improved the finish by allowing it to green.

This many days later, I'm not sure.

It seems like they should be using the same type of gold finish they used in the 50s.
If it does what it has always done, where is it improved?
This part of this thread is now too confusing for me.
I thought we were in the Vintage area. My Goldtops will turn green when it is time, as they are all 50s models. What Gibson does today would seem to be a topic for a different Forum area. :ganz

gavindale

Tom, you are correct. This is the wrong forum/thread for this topic and I apologize.

I wish you, all of the moderators and everyone on the LPF, especially everyone that makes the LPF a reality, a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!

:dude::peace2:salude:salude:2zone

JJ Blair

What caused the 68 and newer Goldtops to "green", if not the same thing as the 50s versions? :wah

I am not sure what exactly changed in their process to make this happen. The pic below is an excellent example. I tried to replicate it on a '69 refin I did, and it was a bitch.

IMGP5120_zps8d9e6ca1.jpg