• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

FM Danny Kirwan

Yunpac

Hey gang-

Can I get some pictures of and/or stories about Danny Kirwan?:photos

I did a search and read a lot of the threads, but most were pretty old and the pics were no longer there and the links didn't work.:wah

any era is good for me - goldtop, burst, BB...:headbange

Thanks-

Yunpac

I've already read most of the info to be found (including wikipedia)

... unknown player found by FM manager - shown to green - taken under his wing - good jams - weird guy - acid - booze - gentle soul - freaks out over tuning issue - bashes head into bathroom wall - smashed lp custom 3 pup bb - watches show from soundboard - gets fired by mick - makes some semi bad pop/country albums - boozes more- homeless - family helps (a little)...

I just need some action pics and/or personal stories-

wikipedia has 2 pics neither of which features a guitar! (thanks though)

:photos

Last edited:

Yunpac

Here, I'll get everybody started on a kirwan pic posting frenzy w/ this hot pic:

danny4.jpg

ok - fire away! :dude:

Last edited:

j45

I've got several. Which do you already have?

j45

Also, try to find a copy of the original Lp's, Blues Jam in Chicago Vol 1 and 2. The covers and inside have lots of great color pics. When I bought that record in 1969, I'd never heard of Peter Green and never really paid attention to who it was playing what. I wore those discs out but I was mainly looking at the photos of Danny Kirwan and his goldtop. That was how I discovered Les Paul's. At that time, they were rarely seen and it something new to me. I bought one a year later but even at the age of 15, I new it was a terrible guitar. I sold it after about two months and found a Firebird in a small town about 45 miles away. had also been looking at Clapton's guitar on Live Cream I. Oh yeah...., Danny Kirwan pics..... I'll get some up tonight.

Last edited:

Yunpac

sweet - thanks

I don't have too many so anything you can post would be great!

shuie

You don't get a good shot of PG's in the vid, but Im pretty sure they are each playing one here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY

Kirwan breaks a string half way through the above vid. The reason Im pretty sure they each had one is that PG follows the above with "World Keep's Turning" on his 'burst while DK is allegedly restringing the guitar he played in the video above. The guitar DK was playing also still had the pickguard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivS5wjwGbn8

sidekick

I think that is PG's.
Wasn't PG's 'burst..... Danny used a 'burst in-between his, (circa)) '56 P-90 GT and the, (later) 3 pickup Custom, (that was used after PG had left and subsequently broken a year or so afterwards, in a tantrum)..... Danny's burst can be clearly seen on the 'Albatross' mime on the 'The Early Years' - Fleetwood Mac video/DVD. It was fairly strong color and not a lot of flame. Quite where it went, or what became of it, I do not know.

j45

Cool I thought I read on here once that he had used Green's but now I know. Thanks.

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Danny's guitars were in this order:

Watkins Rapier
'56 Les Paul Goldtop with P90s
Burst(ive read it was a '59 like Peters)
3-Pickup Les Paul Black Beauty Custom(year unknown)

I also read he occasionally used Jeremy Spencer's 50's Strat in the studio. Probably on the albums after Peter left because some of the guitar work on Kiln House sounds more like a strat than a Lester, and its definately Danny playing the parts, not Jeremy.

Amps were:
100 Watt Marshal Super Lead(Early days with Mac)
Matamp/Orange GT120 Head and 2 2x12 cabs
'68 Silverface Fender Super Reverb(studio)
'68 Silverface Dual Showman Reverb(live) with 2 Fender 2x12 cabs

After Peter left he was also seen with Hiwatts and a WEM 150 Watt Transistor head through two Orange 4x12s with a Matamp/Orange Reverb Unit on top of the head

sidekick

Danny Kirwan also played a pale color maple necked telecaster.... It can be seen on the 'live' FM video footage of 'Woman's Got The Blues'.... The 'influence' was Janis Joplin, (apparently) and with whom DK is said to have had what you might call a 'brief encounter'.... :wah

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I also read he occasionally used Jeremy Spencer's 50's Strat in the studio. Probably on the albums after Peter left because some of the guitar work on Kiln House sounds more like a strat than a Lester, and its definately Danny playing the parts, not Jeremy.

Is that the Strat with the bizarre switch placement? :hmm