• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

p94 LP Junior wiring

Flat-Foot

5t16nDFxuFCdkmUHA
Guys I am struggling and need some help. I have a LP Junior with a p94 (4 wire). I am getting a ton of noise and it only gets quiet if I touch the jack, points to a ground but I have other issues. Tapping on the pickup makes noise even with the volume off. Here is how I have it wired. The white wire from the pickup is displayed in blue for clarity

Thank you in advance!
1ugOQm18l5554NcqdkgbfSzOnwQZ26q2u
x6HWdAbX5Eyyyp9a6

^^^^^ I cannot get it to add the picture, follow the link below

x6HWdAbX5Eyyyp9a6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5t16nDFxuFCdkmUHA

PaulD

It's not clear from your diagram but the unused lug on the volume pot should be grounded (usually bent back and soldered to the pot casing), while the unused lug on the tone pot should not be connected to anything. Provided that is the case then the wiring scheme looks sound so it should just be a case of checking for good solid connections and a good ground connection to the bridge. If you have a multimeter it can be used to test for continuity and to check the various connections.

Flat-Foot

It's not clear from your diagram but the unused lug on the volume pot should be grounded (usually bent back and soldered to the pot casing), while the unused lug on the tone pot should not be connected to anything. Provided that is the case then the wiring scheme looks sound so it should just be a case of checking for good solid connections and a good ground connection to the bridge. If you have a multimeter it can be used to test for continuity and to check the various connections.

Thanks for the response! I did not have that lug grounded. That was a huge help!

PaulD

You're welcome, glad to be of help. If the volume pot lug wasn't grounded that would explain why there was a signal getting out with the volume turned down, when the volume is turned all the way down the signal should be shunted to ground preventing any signal from leaving the guitar but if the lug wasn't grounded that wouldn't happen.