• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Welcome Home Old Friend

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Clearly a two piece back that he says is is “ a solid piece of mahogany”

El Gringo

Nice to see Mark again and I half waited for him to mention Norm's

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
It's hard for me to tell from the vid if it still has that funky shape to the horn.
I have to say that once I bought an Historic Les Paul I never imagined I'd ever want a Gibson USA Standard, but these guitars look & sound pretty good

sonar

Clearly a two piece back that he says is is “ a solid piece of mahogany”

I think it's just a poor choice of words on his part. He was obviously hyping up non-weight relief, as the two piece back is as clear as day.

It's hard for me to tell from the vid if it still has that funky shape to the horn.
I have to say that once I bought an Historic Les Paul I never imagined I'd ever want a Gibson USA Standard, but these guitars look & sound pretty good

I don't see these as game changers with the Custom Shop crowd. Maybe as a 2nd LP for gigging or backup, but the differences between the two are enough to keep opinions set. As mentioned, two piece backs with reports these guitars are in the 10 pound range, and assuming rocker tenons are still a feature, will keep the CS player in their preferred lane.

The important thing is that we now have a full feature "Standard" with what should be a sub 2K street price. That demographic has been ignored for a long time. Something about the Traditional, which overall was a good guitar, but marketed by Gibson as throwing us a bone instead of standing behind a flagship. That never sat well with some players.

deytookerjaabs

LOL, so if you're the high brow aficionado who wants the extra inch or two of neck heel in the pickup cavity and a regular screw in ABR bridge on your Standard style Les Paul you still need to pay $2,000 more to go Custom Shop if it has a genuine Gibson label on the headtock. Two features that have been found on other USA models across the lineup in past years yet they just won't give a USA Les Paul the basic treatment.

A bunch of ****ing bean counters still running the show, "Original"..."hey, we got rid of weight relief!!"

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Pretty sure the rocke tenon has been gone since CNC.

the new joint is not very different from a long tenon and the difference in resonance is negligible.

Pat Boyack

A bunch of ****ing bean counters still running the show, "Original"..."hey, we got rid of weight relief!!"

Would you rather have the Firebird X or self tuning tuners back? It's going in the right direction. I hear they are taking applications too.

deytookerjaabs

Would you rather have the Firebird X or self tuning tuners back? It's going in the right direction. I hear they are taking applications too.

I mean, we can debate the difference between this:

Neck03.jpg

and

Isssc7qh.jpg

and whatever else until the cows come home...

But the fact is they'll "long tenon" when they have to like on a cheap DC studio:

dcten.jpg

Gibson is fully aware of what a Heritage employee said years ago "The market wants to see the neck go into the pickup cavity" regarding single cut Les Pauls. It costs them near nil for the extra bit o wood, same goes for a real ABR which was on Classics for a long time and on other guitars. There's no reason not to do it other than fears it will hurt custom shop sales which I don't think that theory holds ground. It's a shallow move.

Here, we have the Traditional we've been getting with a few tweaks now lauded as the "Original" "Back to Basics" or whatever.

If you're still in doubt:

Keep in mind, I'm saying this as someone who isn't too hot & bothered by the details beyond wanting to know them. If I picked up a 2019, really had the itch and felt it was a great guitar in hand I'd certainly buy one.

But, it's way past time they give you the basic (long tenon, abr, 1 piece back, etc) vintage spec in the USA lineup for a LP standard guitar at the right price.

Pat Boyack

The pics of the Gibson booth that I am seeing from the Dallas show right now is very exciting.