• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eric's '65 LP

goldtop0

So, is it generally accepted that Eric's Beano LP was a '59/60 transitional guitar............although touted as a '60 with the slimmer neck.
I haven't fastidiously followed the threads about this here over the years, but it certainly looks like one of those to me with the bell vol/tone knobs.

mistersnappy

So, is it generally accepted that Eric's Beano LP was a '59/60 transitional guitar............although touted as a '60 with the slimmer neck.
I haven't fastidiously followed the threads about this here over the years, but it certainly looks like one of those to me with the bell vol/tone knobs.

Yeah, I would guess so. The early ‘60s were very much like ‘59s with some changes slowly creeping in

Bruce R

Eric's "Beano" did not have the Bell (reflector top) knobs, it was the '60 Summers Burst that he borrowed/bought after the first one was stolen in July of '66.

goldtop0

Eric's "Beano" did not have the Bell (reflector top) knobs, it was the '60 Summers Burst that he borrowed/bought after the first one was stolen in July of '66.

Guess I could have said bonnet knobs..........there are a few ways of describing these things........yes 'reflectors' seems to be the standard description for the mid-late '60s ones.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Guess I could have said bonnet knobs..........there are a few ways of describing these things........yes 'reflectors' seems to be the standard description for the mid-late '60s ones.

To me, both are bell knobs. Just the later ones have reflectors.

Tim

Steve, the following is the closest thing I've read to definitively ID the year.

tom, i'm sorry that this won't be a very satisfying answer, and i respectfully (and i really do mean respectfully) am not open to discussing revealing how or for how long it's been that i had occasion to become aware of definitive proof that the beano burst was/is in fact a '59. i'm fairly certain that any further elaboration would create, at the very least, a somewhat touchy situation. i hope and imagine that you can understand that i can not (and am in fact bound not to) inaugurate such a possibly touchy situation. i can however, and will say that the guitar bears a 9 xxxx serial number. goddamn...that felt good. that's it.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Steve, the following is the closest thing I've read to definitively ID the year.

Tim, please put a link to where this quote came from, as it obviously is not from this thread. :)

goldtop0

Thanks Tim, revisiting the old threads.........the memory wanes a little when you're not going over them:salude

Asyntek

Bump. A 2020 video about this topic.

This video shows Clapton’s quotes about a skinner neck, so it may support that it might be a 59/60 transition. The video talks about the 9xx serial number but as a non confirmed rumor.

Found this JoeBonamassa info saying it was a ‘59

But maybe Clapton and Gibson still believes it was a 60s or early 60s?

goldtop0

Yes well 'nothing' can be confirmed until Beano actually resurfaces.
These debates and the conjecture will keep us on the go in the meantime;)

TM1

By mid 1960 Gibson was using silver inserts on their knobs.

El Gringo

The latest edition of Guitar Player has EC on the cover with Beano and a nice article on the mystery surrounding it's disapperance , which I read about half of it last night .