• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beauty of The Black Beauty - The "Alnico" Custom thread

zhivago

Hmmm...not sure...to be honest I've never really looked...

Personally, I put my original 50s case in storage and use a Pro-form case for my Custom :)

Proform2_zpsu8z8wbps.jpg

Proform1_zps7bbejleq.jpg

fakejake

Hmmm...not sure...to be honest I've never really looked...

Personally, I put my original 50s case in storage and use a Pro-form case for my Custom :)

That's cool, but I was thinking about a case for a reissue. Something to make the guitar/ case combo look closer to what it was in the 50ies. :salude

El Gringo

That's cool, but I was thinking about a case for a reissue. Something to make the guitar/ case combo look closer to what it was in the 50ies. :salude
This is not about a vintage Lifton case . I just ordered a Anvil road case for my Les Paul's when I ship them out via UPS for service . In December I got the talk from my tech who said the "what if it falls off the back of the truck and gets run over ? " I got the flush lock and my name on both sides of the case .It is going to take 4 weeks to custom build as I thought they were pre fab made and sitting in there warehouse . I also asked about a road case for my Marshall 2555X and 2551 AV cab . So now with the Anvil case I should be good and protected when ever I am sending one of my Les Paul's out for service ,which is fairly often . I matched the color of my Gibson Chainsaw case of the exterior in black and the interior in Navy Blue and the nice lady from Anvil says to me "oh you must be a rocker "

zhivago

Ahhh...I see, apologies, I thought it was for a vintage guitar.

I can't say I've seen a reissue one that had the yellow lining...maybe someone in the Historic section would know :jim

darkwave

Ahhh...I see, apologies, I thought it was for a vintage guitar.

I can't say I've seen a reissue one that had the yellow lining...maybe someone in the Historic section would know :jim

I had a unique experience I guess I'll share - I was actually in a meeting sitting next to Henry J and I mentioned that there was legacy in other colors for cases than simply brown and fuscia (for example, black and gold for Customs). He said absolutely not - never happened. I tried to hide it later during the meeting, but the desktop image on my laptop was of my '56 Custom in it's case. He saw it, shook his head and muttered "that's not right" before I had the chance to change the subject. Awkward meeting it was...

-Douglas C.

zhivago

I had a unique experience I guess I'll share - I was actually in a meeting sitting next to Henry J and I mentioned that there was legacy in other colors for cases than simply brown and fuscia (for example, black and gold for Customs). He said absolutely not - never happened. I tried to hide it later during the meeting, but the desktop image on my laptop was of my '56 Custom in it's case. He saw it, shook his head and muttered "that's not right" before I had the chance to change the subject. Awkward meeting it was...

-Douglas C.

Oh, dear Doug...that certainly sounds awkward...it is strange that he would react in such a way. :dang

Nowadays, with hindsight, it is fairly clear that Henry lost his way eventually, but he did save Gibson at some point...

My fellow Greeks say that "the soul of a man is an abyss"...god knows what was going though Henry's mind....

As a mere spectator, I can say that I am baffled that he would react in that way to the knowledge you were extending to him, especially during a meeting environment! :dang

El Gringo

Oh, dear Doug...that certainly sounds awkward...it is strange that he would react in such a way. :dang

Nowadays, with hindsight, it is fairly clear that Henry lost his way eventually, but he did save Gibson at some point...

My fellow Greeks say that "the soul of a man is an abyss"...god knows what was going though Henry's mind....

As a mere spectator, I can say that I am baffled that he would react in that way to the knowledge you were extending to him, especially during a meeting environment! :dang
Guess who else is Greek ? Your truly , small world isn't it ? Have you visited our Patrida lately ? I used to go for entire summers when we were growing up and right after school ended in June and right thru Labor Day and Dad would join us during his 2 weeks off from work in August .

zhivago

Guess who else is Greek ? Your truly , small world isn't it ? Have you visited our Patrida lately ? I used to go for entire summers when we were growing up and right after school ended in June and right thru Labor Day and Dad would join us during his 2 weeks off from work in August .

Wow!

Cool to have a fellow Greek here!

I haven't been home since October I think...I try to go every now and then to visit my parents, but work keeps me in London most of the time. :jim

El Gringo

Wow!

Cool to have a fellow Greek here!

I haven't been home since October I think...I try to go every now and then to visit my parents, but work keeps me in London most of the time. :jim
My family is from Vassara, Sparta (dad ) Vresthena, Sparta (mom ) Summers were a lot of fun , except we would always get in trouble in the afternoons because my Cousins and I would not take a nap and would be making noise and all kinds of trouble .

fakejake

Is that a capo on the headstock?

Thats some sort of buzz stop, that he and others (e.g. Herb Ellis) had on their guitars. As far as I understand it has a similar effect to the hairband a lot of shredders put on the neck around the first fret.
The picture must be very early Jim Hall. He had the Les Paul when he was playing with Chico Hamilton. He sold it to buy his sunburst ES 175.

zhivago

My family is from Vassara, Sparta (dad ) Vresthena, Sparta (mom ) Summers were a lot of fun , except we would always get in trouble in the afternoons because my Cousins and I would not take a nap and would be making noise and all kinds of trouble .

Wow, even cooler! I was born in Athens, but my dad was born in Tripi, Sparta! :jim

El Gringo

Wow, even cooler! I was born in Athens, but my dad was born in Tripi, Sparta! :jim
Nice , I know both areas and have spent time in both .Relatives on my fathers side (sister) in Athens and always visited there along with a first cousin of my Moms in the capital city as well . We would always spend time in Athens first before going to the villages .

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
This is not about a vintage Lifton case . I just ordered a Anvil road case for my Les Paul's when I ship them out via UPS for service . In December I got the talk from my tech who said the "what if it falls off the back of the truck and gets run over ? " I got the flush lock and my name on both sides of the case .It is going to take 4 weeks to custom build as I thought they were pre fab made and sitting in there warehouse . I also asked about a road case for my Marshall 2555X and 2551 AV cab . So now with the Anvil case I should be good and protected when ever I am sending one of my Les Paul's out for service ,which is fairly often . I matched the color of my Gibson Chainsaw case of the exterior in black and the interior in Navy Blue and the nice lady from Anvil says to me "oh you must be a rocker "

I love anvil cases for the guitar inside. But they sure beat up everything around them! Kinda like hiring the Hell's Angels to protect the band-there may be some breakage! Oh, and they're better for the young-mine are really heavy!

El Gringo

I love anvil cases for the guitar inside. But they sure beat up everything around them! Kinda like hiring the Hell's Angels to protect the band-there may be some breakage! Oh, and they're better for the young-mine are really heavy!
I love the analogy ! Les Paul's will be protected during transit . This would drive the girlfriend nuts about always shipping them out to get work done and she would always ask me if I was done ? and I would respond as long as they play good . We know better than that !

Shocktop99

Is that a capo on the headstock?

Thats some sort of buzz stop, that he and others (e.g. Herb Ellis) had on their guitars. As far as I understand it has a similar effect to the hairband a lot of shredders put on the neck around the first fret.
The picture must be very early Jim Hall. He had the Les Paul when he was playing with Chico Hamilton. He sold it to buy his sunburst ES 175.

Very close! It's actually a George Van Epps String Damper! Super cool piece damn near impossible to find one that works, I've heard they weren't that good of a piece so most of them broke fairly easy, I have a link that i'm in no ways associated with, but it has some more info on Van Epp's String Damper!!!

http://www.vintagearchtop.com/van_eps.htm