• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eddie Van What????

58junior

who knew, even the stuff around 3:30 sounds like ice cream man or stay frosty......

frenchphil

great find rufes!!!

now, we are revisiting rock guitar history!!!

it says in the bible that eddie invented tapping!!

well obviously the myth is wrong

we have to spread the word to the people

amen brother!!

ampdan

Eddie never claimed to invent it.
Roy Smeck was doing it on a ukulele in the 1930's.....

Brown Recluse

I really liked it when he started playing the bass line during All of Me. It sounded like someone slapping an upright bass. Very cool.

Midnight Blues

"Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you, but don't ever take sides with anyone, against the family again."

"I know it was you Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

Mike M.

Eddie never claimed to invent it.
Roy Smeck was doing it on a ukulele in the 1930's.....

I remember reading an interview when Eddie said (about tapping): I can't believe I'm the first guy who did it. But I think I'm the first guy who ran with it."

Mike M.

Tapping taking to an entirely different level....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYKB6Lag-wg

Wow and yeah!! The Chapman Stick...what an amazing instrument. I did some further looking and he's got a great version of "Norwegian Wood." I also listened to a guy named Greg Howard doing a version of "Tomorrow Never Knows" that was pretty darned cool.

The link you provided as well as the other few I found goes to show how timeless the Beatles are. You can take those songs in a new direction and the songs still stand.

joemags54

Wow and yeah!! The Chapman Stick...what an amazing instrument. I did some further looking and he's got a great version of "Norwegian Wood." I also listened to a guy named Greg Howard doing a version of "Tomorrow Never Knows" that was pretty darned cool.

The link you provided as well as the other few I found goes to show how timeless the Beatles are. You can take those songs in a new direction and the songs still stand.

Thanks Mike M. ...I would bet in 100 yrs and beyond they'll still be playing Beatles music. I just find this instrument's sound so unique. Talk about playing by yourself....Ha!

Edward

Jaw-dropping ...and mesmerizing. That whole bass-line thing was genius!

Edward

CleudiMartins

My god, how did you find that?
Who knew back then tapping was aroun? i've always heard that eddie van halen was the first one to do it, that proves it wroooooong.

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
First person I ever heard of doing anything like this was Jimmie Webster, who used to demo Gretsch guitars in the 50's/early 60's. he had what he described as "The Touch System", but it was more like what Stanley Jordan did later. I've also read about Classical guitarist Fernado Sor using this as well. Then Billy Gibbons (Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers, etc...), Brian May ("It's Late", etc...), and of course Harvey Mandel.

Here's another cat... maybe closer to the Stick technique though...

You might also wanna check out Ben Lacey if you're interested in this style on steroids. GREAT modern day player who makes this technique the cornerstone of his playing.