• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What player made 'Bursts popular?

bern1

Clapton with the Bluesbreakers started it. Period. As the guitar and amp you had to have to get that sound.
Bloomfield.... not so much in my opinion. It seems he got one much later than when his initial influential recordings were made. And he didn’t use Marshalls. Keith’s influence not so much either.

No doubt Page is responsible for them costing big bucks from the mid 80’s onward.

ourmaninthenorth

When I was a kid in Austin TX in the 70's and first heard "La Grange" on the radio...

I didn't care what the guitar was.

It was about the music.

Well said Texas.

Different location, different song, same effect for me.

The music made me want to do "this thing" - that first kiss .... the other obsessions followed.

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
Perhaps it was for many.

Yet it's a fact that Eric himself abandoned the sunburst Les Paul Standard in favour of the Les Paul Custom, 335 and SG after forming The Cream.

I didn't follow his lead at the time.

Did you?

The first Les Paul / "burst" players on my radar were Duane Allman and Dicky Betts. I heard them way before I heard the Bluesbreakers album.

I think who played a burst first is different than what player made it popular. IMO, the player(s) that made it popular were the players who were ubiquitous and omnipresent with a burst on the media of the day. So the influence in England may be different timeline and degree than in the states; especially, players who made it popular "early on" in England may not have had nearly the influence on players in the states.

So, I guess there were early adopters (like Clapton) who then inspired later players (Kossoff, Allman, Page and even Gibbons) who carried it much further. That is kind of how I see it from a USA perspective. Others, of course may have experienced it different certainly.

Doc Sausage

The first Les Paul / "burst" players on my radar were Duane Allman and Dicky Betts. I heard them way before I heard the Bluesbreakers album.

I think who played a burst first is different than what player made it popular. IMO, the player(s) that made it popular were the players who were ubiquitous and omnipresent with a burst on the media of the day. So the influence in England may be different timeline and degree than in the states; especially, players who made it popular "early on" in England may not have had nearly the influence on players in the states.

So, I guess there were early adopters (like Clapton) who then inspired later players (Kossoff, Allman, Page and even Gibbons) who carried it much further. That is kind of how I see it from a USA perspective. Others, of course may have experienced it different certainly.

I'd have to say the ABB for me too. I remember reading Jean-Charles Costa's take on Duane and Dickey's tone on the liner of the Beginnings album. I still didn't know exactly what a Les Paul really was - other than an electric guitar that these boys knew their way around. And I blame FM radio of the day also - I started listening about 1970. They didn't play Bloomfield and too much of the Bluesbreakers except,' Room to Move'...a lot. I had played a couple LP's early on when I thought ALL volume and tone knobs should be at 11, and they sounded horrible to me. Now, I'm still discovering nuances those 4 knobs give you. But I digress, ABB, Page, then much later, Clapton, for m. In that order.

Oh, then Elliot Easton and Bonamassa, of course! Gotta give those members some love!

Big Al

It is when you bring him up in a thread about influential players of sunburst Les Pauls.

Certainly he was a well known “player”.

Comprehension and context are important parts of reading. Had you bothered to employ these you'd have realised the context of the quote about price that Tom replied to and could then comprehend his meaning.

Xpensive Wino

It was mostly a Strat.

Indeed it was.

“La Grange”
Tres Hombres (1973)

“That is straight guitar into amp: a 1955 Strat with a stop tailpiece through a 1969 Marshall Super Lead 100. That fuzz sound in the lead and in the front and back end of the composition is just pure tube distortion. Pickup-setting differentials account for the different tones. The opening part was played on what we used to call ‘the mystery setting’ in the dark days before the existence of the five-way toggle switch, when finding that perfect ’tweener required dedication.

“That Marshall amp, which was a trusted friend through the first six records, was an import brought over by Jeff Beck’s at-the-time tech. I had four of those babies, and they were my main road amps for years. I ran them through cabinets with those Greenback speakers. They still retain a distinctive, rich, enjoyable tone and are well worth owning. I must, however, advise anyone fortunate enough to find one to beware of the variable power plugs. The 220 setting doesn’t work very well outside of the 220 countries, as I can tell you from experience. We had more than a few paper-clip nights over the years.”

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/prime-cuts-zz-top

Wizard1183

Gibson Les Paul fits my hand.

I have small hands.

Even the 50's baseball bats feel good to me

As do the slim 60's.

And they sound like hot redhead crazy women.

Moaning at midnight.

Influential real bursts have nothing to do with it.

When I was a kid in Austin TX in the 70's and first heard "La Grange" on the radio...

I didn't care what the guitar was.

It was about the music.
As others stated many. But I believe the first was Clapton with Beano. Everyone else followed suit because of THAT tone.

Wizard1183

Spot on!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
No doubt Page is responsible for them costing big bucks from the mid 80’s onward.

Not really. That would be Kosta. :ganz

It is when you bring him up in a thread about influential players of sunburst Les Pauls.

Certainly he was a well known “player”.

As you can see, I clearly replied to your statement about being "responsible for them costing big bucks from the mid 80’s onward."

I was really involved in the Burst market throughout the 80s and the drastic rise in prices was a direct result of Kosta's intense Burst buying. It had nothing to do with playing ability. It had everything to do with "costing big bucks from mid 80's onward".
I was there, so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. [even though it has been often discussed for about 30 years]

:salude