• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why did Gibson close down the "Collectors Choice" line?

hanban

I know the past couple of years has seen the True Historic line and Collectors Choice line discontinued

So what's really the reason for closing down the CC line

Obviously they did not sell well. no one stops doing something if it makes them money. but were there others reasons?

From what I gather quality wise its your normal historic line (pre 2015 CC did not even have true historic features which comes standard in 2018-2019 historics) , at 10-12k. so you pay the extra 6k for the work they put in making it look like the original relic/top wise?

AA00475Bassman

I really do not share your opinion for one IMO glue does not make a guitar nor does carve or plastics or no tube on truss rod .
The CC guitars Ive played are killer how much better then the Historics I own owned well this is very subjective .
Some members of the forum have original guitars that Gibson chose to CC Tom might chime in and articulate CC builds & the demise .

F-Hole

I had a CC run of 8-7049. The CC guitars are so far from the original as to make the exercise pointless. The only thing even remotely "right" is the colour.

RNELEE

Guessing a bit...The CC line was very expensive and the guitars did not have the long neck tennon. I have a feeling the long neck tennon adds about $20.00 to the cost of any given LP. But, at the time the difference in price was considerable with both the CC and True Historics well out of reach for me.

sws1

I think it was shut down to manage the perception that they were diluting. Look at the comments here whenever a new one was announced..."Hey look...ANOTHER CC we didn't ask for".

Even the CCs runs that sold 60 or 70 guitars are very profitable. Obviously not as profitable as those that sold a full 300, but given the margin on them, they were making lots of money.

I was happy with the guitars they did for 9-0676. I played a bunch, and while not spot-on, they were 'in the neighborhood'. Part of me would be bummed if they built a 100% perfect replica. ;)

And yes, it had a long tenon.

AA00475Bassman

I think it was shut down to manage the perception that they were diluting. Look at the comments here whenever a new one was announced..."Hey look...ANOTHER CC we didn't ask for".

Even the CCs runs that sold 60 or 70 guitars are very profitable. Obviously not as profitable as those that sold a full 300, but given the margin on them, they were making lots of money.

I was happy with the guitars they did for 9-0676. I played a bunch, and while not spot-on, they were 'in the neighborhood'. Part of me would be bummed if they built a 100% perfect replica. ;)

Didn't all CC have long tenon ? I always assumed they did !

hanban

Prices for CC are all over the place, you can get a Nicky for 5.5K and someone else lists them 11k. same for most of these CC models.
not sure about how well they retain resale value

AA00475Bassman

A Sandy sold locally for 7000.00 I played the guitar liked everything about the guitar felt 7 was high 6 would be more like my comfort zone .

musekatcher

As a collector of several things, including archtops and flattops, I find almost all manufacturers have taken too many liberties with re-issues. The re-issue thing goes back 40 years, yet, they are still releasing "even more authentic" re-issues. Credibility has been shot for a long time. Its more than obvious, they will never release a definitively accurate, fully faithful re-issue: that would end all need for future production of the very lucrative re-issue, lol. What a game...

MikeSlub

Administrator
All good things must come to an end, including the CC series. It was the dream child of previous Gibson Custom leadership. It was a very successful lineup overall. It was an honor to participate with CC#6 early in the series. :dude::hank

Tim Plains

I think Gibson just released too many CCs in a short time period. They should have prolonged it and only offered two per year. That would have made them more desirable.

Pip

Agreed too many too quickly. I had a couple and kept Nicky as my go to.

They were also wildly inconsistent in terms of tops, great guitars and mines a keeper, in fact I stopped looking for a new Lester, moved a few on and I'm happy with my only CC.

ff1337

Agreed too many too quickly. I had a couple and kept Nicky as my go to.

They were also wildly inconsistent in terms of tops, great guitars and mines a keeper, in fact I stopped looking for a new Lester, moved a few on and I'm happy with my only CC.
+1

El Gringo

Here is my 2 cents , I believe that the maple tops are very hard to find exact matches to the original vintage instruments that they are crafted for , and thusly there are variations in looks on the tops . Trees are not knowing for knocking out exact reproductions of figure . Now that would be something cool if the guys in the lab could get big leaf maple and rock hard maple to come out in certain figures !

AA00475Bassman

I think the El loco El Gringo nailed the top syndrome, I’ve been shopping Rossingtons the tops & prices are all over the place . So inconsistent my wife now asks how the flame top syndrome is (like the China syndrome Babe)

El Gringo

I think the El loco El Gringo nailed the top syndrome, I’ve been shopping Rossingtons the tops & prices are all over the place . So inconsistent my wife now asks how the flame top syndrome is (like the China syndrome Babe)

You know what , I kind of like the El Loco El Gringo . Last week , I was addressed as El Kabongo and made me think back fondly on my school days . I most certainly am El Loco for Les Paul's and recent activity can most certainly prove that ! Top hunting is a most laborious duty , but the rewards are astronomical when you find the right one , and then KAPOW !!!!!!!

ourmaninthenorth

I think the project had come to the end of it's natural life when, upon the next numbered release, people were uttering "who?"

F-Hole

.....and let's not forget those CC original guitar owners who were stiffed by Gibson when they went into Chapter 11. All outstanding royalty payments as of that date went up in smoke.

The whole process was a royal pain in the ass and, IMHO, the guitars were anything but "choice".

Pip

Another thing that always got me was their inconsistency with hardware ageing (see fender custom shop for how to do it). I accept you never going to get similar tops - ball park yes is the best you can expect. But I’ve seen nickys with aged pup covers and poles my pup covers look brand new, so quality control and ageing were suspect.