• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2018 58 Standard VOS Lemon Fade - Sonic Nirvana - Should I go for it?

Wiggy1956

They are more affordible for sure. They offer much the same functionality as a R9 but do not in general blow R9's away or resonate more. I've played dozens, own both R8 & 9 from 2013. They all show the same range of tones with no model having a greater likelihood of blow 'em all away resonant majesty.

It's good to search and find guitars that speak to us. Glad you found yours, my 13 Sunrise Teaburst R8 is real nice and my pal Bob' M2M 2014 lefty R8, (a mirror image of Jeff Beck Burst), is just superb on all counts.

Increased cost in R9 is reflected in higher grade timbers and finish color options.

Hi Big Al. I didn't try an R9 but I accept they must be awesome sounding too! My Les Paul is going to be gigging guitar and in a weird way that fact that it hasn't got a mega flamed high gloss top makes me feel a little less nervous about the inevitable dings that will no doubt come its way.

Progrocker111

Congrats!

I favour these 2018s too, they are excellent guitars tonewise, i am still so positively surprised by my 18 57 Custom Blackl Beauty reissue. Acoustically so loud, rich sounding guitar with tons of overtones and character. :dude:

Wiggy1956

Well guys I took the advice and went back for another play before pulling the trigger. I also tried another 2018 Historic 58 VOS at another guitar shop...Guess what... I found an even better one. All the virtues of the Lemon Drop but just a little bit sweeter, a little bit more heft to the sound and again just a whisker over 8lbs. I also got it brand new for £1K cheaper!!! I'm now the proud owner of a Les Paul. It's only taken about 45yrs since I first wanted one.

IMG_1556(2).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1556(1).jpg
    IMG_1556(1).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Woolly

Here a pic. of the beast. I love the fact that it looks like it's been played for many years but looked after well.
285207-285095-88277%20%2818%29.jpg
I would buy it. That is one sweet looking guitar. The only difference now in ‘57, ‘58, ‘59 (IMHO) is neck shape and cosmetics. I think Gibson has really gotten it right with the 2018 Historic. The Custom Buckers are awesome. I love my new ‘57 Goldtop Brazilian.
E1E469BC-57E7-45F7-9299-206A779A786B.jpg

Big Al

Well guys I took the advice and went back for another play before pulling the trigger. I also tried another 2018 Historic 58 VOS at another guitar shop...Guess what... I found an even better one. All the virtues of the Lemon Drop but just a little bit sweeter, a little bit more heft to the sound and again just a whisker over 8lbs. I also got it brand new for £1K cheaper!!! I'm now the proud owner of a Les Paul. It's only taken about 45yrs since I first wanted one.

View attachment 8102

I really like this color!

Wiggy1956

D6F9C9AE-8C8B-47D5-9F80-64414F23B3B0.jpeg
I really like this color!

Hi Big Al. Yeah! I love it too. It’s really close to the real deal ‘58 “First Burst” (see attached photo). The Gibson Custom Shop seems to be doing amazing work lately despite all the troubles the company is going through. I wish them well.

goldtop0

View attachment 8102

What a great looking '58.........and a grand cheaper:salude
Has she got a nice fat neck?

Wiggy1956

What a great looking '58.........and a grand cheaper:salude
Has she got a nice fat neck?

Hi Goldtop, thank you! It's certainly chunkier than my pointy guitars unsurprisingly, but no where near as fat as my Custom Shop 54 Strat. You could hit a home run with that. From memory its not hugely different to a 59 I tried, but I did read somewhere that the Custom Shop have really tried to nail the 58 neck dimensions this time compared with the originals which were apparently not as fat as earlier 58 reissue necks. All I know is it is a dream to play and apart from the above Strat it is making all my other guitars feel and sound very ordinary.

Stow

Here a pic. of the beast. I love the fact that it looks like it's been played for many years but looked after well.

I played this today... unplugged it was the best if the 3 R9s and the R0 I tried. I would not normally be in to that top, but the guitar had a vibe and was calling me to buy it.. felt like a LP you could bond with..you have it reserved? Love the colour but I just wish they would have dark boards on them!

LemonFade

852E562E-6CCC-426B-B854-506574E4F213.jpg[QUOTi just got this one and although I haven’t tried very many LPs I think it’s a beast. E=Wiggy1956;2807054]Here a pic. of the beast. I love the fact that it looks like it's been played for many years but looked after well.
[/QUOTE]

wait rose

I played this today... unplugged it was the best if the 3 R9s and the R0 I tried. I would not normally be in to that top, but the guitar had a vibe and was calling me to buy it.. felt like a LP you could bond with..you have it reserved? Love the colour but I just wish they would have dark boards on them!

i guess this one is east end of Denmark Street.

Where did you find new R9s?

Wiggy1956

Hi Stow. I actually got another R8, which I marginally preferred, from Guitar Guitar in Epsom instead so I lifted the reserve. It is undoubtedly a very responsive guitar. Are you thinking of taking the plunge?